About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It's almost here   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jan-22 by MJoe79; 414 views.
MJoe79

Jan-22

Well, my Quit Date is Tuesday. I've been taking Zyban (generic form of Wellbutrin which helps in smoking cessation) as directed, and I've been keeping a tally of the cigs I smoke.  Not sure why I'm doing that, but I am. I am trying to get my "arsenal" together for quitting. 

It's weird: I want to quit, I know I do, but when I do my usual routine stuff, I just pick up a smoke and I'm smoking away. Without any thought, just puffing away.  It doesn't taste good (that's more than likely the Zyban), and I don't "feel better" having done it, but here I am.

I'm going to take the one day at a time attitude.  I think I'm scared to quit, but I'm also looking forward to it.  I don' know, it's a pretty confusing mess. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
gkim

Jan-22

Welcome. Glad you found this site. I have 79 days today. I think we just smoke because it’s a habit. We just do it without giving it a though. More than half the time, I didn’t even enjoy the smoke. Now of course there were times I’d say that really helped or it was pleasant, I don’t know. In any case it’s what our brain is used to. Others will respond to you and offer you lots of places to go to read and educate yourself. It really helps to know what our brain is going to go through as well as our body. Good luck to you and really, read as much about what smoking and not smoking did and will to yo your body. 

Eve1973

Jan-23

Yes my lord it is scary.....this has been a part of you for a long long time! But this “friend “ is killing you slowly. Seriously you just need to say enough is enough! If you knew a friend was putting  a small amount of poison in your food everyday, would you continue eating it? Would this person still be your friend? Of course not, and we chose to do this to ourselves! Crazy! I did it, and so many before us......but it is possible to stop and become a much healthier, stronger person! ABSOLUTELY! So contemplate what I said and let it sink in! 

You can do this.....with this forum for support it is possible! Reach for your FREEDOM!!

overdoze

Jan-23

sounds like good advice, just saw my dad before we had lunch, poor guy smokes marlboro reds and he was coughing, i asked if he had a cold.. he said no its from the smoking. Im getting close to week 3 and i didnt have any desire to smoke, but im not gonna turn into a preacher all i can do is try to set a good example. 

Eve1973

Jan-24

i know how people justify smoking, I did it. It’s never ever a good time to smoke. I watched my Dad and Brother both die of lung cancer from smoking. Went to their lymph nodes. I justified still smoking because technically we weren’t DNA  related. Then my Mom got it. I still continued to smoke. I think I would have killed my other brother if I did stop. I did try several times before, but I was serious when I found this forum. This time it stuck. Not sure if I just realized that others going through the same thing or was just better educated on everything. Combination of the right time?? Either way I know It was the right time for me. I know you have been around a while, but seeing your Dad in his state, do you want that for yourself? You said you started going to the gym ( me too kinda) but I have been on the treadmill and have worked up to 52 minutes with 5 minutes of cool down. I could have never ever done that if I was smoking without being extremely out of breath. So keep up your fight. Don’t let the planet fitness people get you down and know you are improving yourself! 3 weeks is great and everyday that you win is another step to freedom! 

overdoze

Jan-24

Thanks, yeah i am glad im going to planet fitness it really has helped out. No i dont want to end up like my dad, my brother has quit smoking for 5 years now and as you know i have tried several times.. i have been doing good this time. What can we do, we know how addictive this thing is and how unenecsarry it is, its sad to see someone voluntarily inhale all these toxins.. but whenever we say something he gets real mad and defensive, thats pretty awesome that you can do about an hour on treadmill.. good for you.

I hope you have a nice day.

Loreficent

Jan-26

Hey there...

Ok, so all you gotta do is take this one moment at a time. You can do this and you will very quickly realize it was the fear of quitting that was the biggest obstacle. Do not let fear paralyze you. You will also quickly see the fear was way out of proportion. Commit to the first 3 days. Just do it. We will be here and then we will deal with day 4 later. Take it one moment at a time and jump in here with us!!! relaxed