About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 37969 views.
In reply toRe: msg 6
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

1/31/21

Mod Marge also made a terrific list of tips for when it gets tough............................................ Thanks Marge!

• As soon as you feel the crave come on, distract yourself immediately, do something else. If you are healthy, exercise, walk or do aerobics. When you feel like you are going to bust, climb up and down the steps or just get up and walk and walk. If I had to do it again, I would get a punching bag.
  • Keep redirecting your mind to the truth about nicotine and cigarettes.  Remind yourself that cigarettes were killing you slowly.  Remember, how long nicotine addiction controlled you. It controlled me over 40 years.
  • Drink as much ice water as possible.  When cravings are very bad, drink the whole glass down.
  • Sit in an upright chair and take 5-10 slow deep breaths.  It calms down that panicky feeling.
  • Come to the Forum and read. Try to support someone that is struggling.  It will help you at the same time.
  • Pledge not to smoke at the beginning of every day.
  • Read as many articles in the library as possible. You need to know your enemy to defeat it. Get educated on nicotine addiction and the tools to get through the rough times. You can actively overcome self-defeating thoughts.  I learned that here.
  • Keeping a journal will help you cope.  Write down your feelings.  Write down all phrases or posts that inspire you along the journey.  Go back and reread when you feel like you are in a fog.  You will see the progress you are making right before your eyes.
  • Find yourself a little hobby you can go to when you don’t know what to do with yourself and want to focus on something.  I put together Legos of all sizes for 6 months. It helped enormously.  A friend of mine bought large jigsaw puzzles and worked on it a little every day. One buddy loved adult coloring books.
  • If you are not sleeping well, check out the meditative music on U tube. Some of them are 8 hours long and very relaxing.
  • Put on some favorite, loud music and sing at the top of your lungs. 
  • Find things that make you laugh.  It releases pent up emotions and good chemicals in our bodies.
  • Don’t be afraid to have a good cry.  That does the same thing.
  • Let the junkie thoughts go by like a movie, try not to let them bother you.  They are just thoughts.
MDS27

2/2/21

O.K, so I guess this is officially day 1. 19 years of smoking in some form or another and 8 years of numerous quits. It's time to get this done and put this behind me once and for all. Whose with me?

In reply toRe: msg 8
Lubbercat

2/2/21

Good for you on your decision to quit, that is fantastic.  Be ready with hard candy to suck on, a straw to suck through, ice water to drink.  Post for help, there are many that will jump in to help you.  Just do whatever you need to do except to smoke!  I know I have quit numerous times and decided 2021 would be the year I did not smoke so, I have 1 month in now.

Good luck to you.

MDS27

2/2/21

Thanks and congrats on 1 month smoke free!

Easing myself into it has actually helped a lot as I've removed many of the environmental cues that would trigger me. 

One day at a time! Thanks for your support!

Loreficent

2/2/21

Nice!

So how has day two played out for you? 
Ive been reading some of the articles from the library here this morning as nearly a year in I still find myself romanticizing “just a smoke”. Ugh. Addiction sucks. It doesn’t last long when this happens but I often get dismayed that it happens at all anymore. I think the biggest help for me is to still not look at “forever” and stay present with where I am. Anyway...don’t let your guard down and keep going!

MJoe79

2/2/21

Excellent job for deciding to quit! I am almost 8 days in, and seeing the time tick away while reading about the positive changes that have already happened in my body has helped me.

When I crave, like stop-me-in-my-tracks crave, I shoveled the front steps and pathway.  I just needed something to do. 

This is the single best thing we can do for our health. You got this!

MJoe79

2/2/21

So true about "forever" and the dialogue we use within ourselves. I count down the day - my quit was at 8:57 pm on January 25th, so come 8:57 one each susequent day, I put a big X on the calendar and then get ready for the next one.  I also find myself "thinking" about the triggers I haven't had yet, but I expect will happen, and I've literally yelled at myself out loud to stop. I've done a lot of yelling and talking to myself the past week come to think of it hahaha. 

MDS27

2/3/21

Day 3 today - 5 days behind you! Keep it up!

Eve1973

2/4/21

Oh yelling at yourself.......I never did that.......just kidding! I absolutely did! Omg this is so normal. Wait til you have the full blown conversation about why you shouldn’t smoke. The reasoning part. Haha. 

Keep it up. Good job

Allamer1980

2/4/21

You will look back and realize...I did these things just to satisfy my addiction for nicotine. I started to laugh because I wasn’t fully aware while smoking/chewing. Your mind wants to avoid and think it’s normal. But as Eve said above, that’s called bargaining. Just trying to get that one or sneak one in when it will just start you over. You need to accept, that part of the phase. It will pass