About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPE Pledge, Friday 5th March 2021   General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-4 by Jatchat; 239 views.
Jatchat

Mar-4

Hurray, reached one week smoke free, I pledge NOPE today, and invite others to join me...

Kind regards

Anthony 

Loreficent

Mar-5

Awesome Anthony!!! Keep on keeping on! 
I’m all of track on the NOPE dates, lol! It’s not even end of first week of March. This is for the 4th...NOPE!

Stay in the moment my friend.

Jatchat

Mar-5

Sorry if I am confusing you guys, but it is an international forum and we pride ourselves on being able to give support 24X7 because we are scattered we are able to do that.

Thanks for your post, it just, the days seem to be flying by, I dropped down to one patch this morning, and have not felt the cravings while on two patches, but I just felt one now and simultaneously your notification of your post flashed across the screen, you were sent to save me. Not that I'm going to smoke I will honor my NOPE and post if I get desperate  and wait for three replies. 

How is Portland, the weather and more importantly how are you? I have pain in my hip pretty much all day long , some days the pain is better than others, I take paracetamol during the day and Panadiene forte at night and an anti-inflammatory every third day for pain relief, these do help.

I used to smoke to mask the pain or that was my excuse, but I've found that smoking made the pain worse.

My op was postponed until the 1st of April, so I have the opportunity to put a few weeks between the last cigarette and the op

Take care Lori

Kind regards

Anthony

Eve1973

Mar-5

Good Morning and happy Friday!

Today I am saying NOPE, not one puff ever! Anne pointed out to me that we will always be one puff away to relapse so every day is a choice to say NOPE! Today I choose life!

who is next?

Loreficent

Mar-5

Good morning Anthony!

Oh, please, no worries about my minor state of confusion. Yes...the international aspect is a facet of the beauty of this place! I kind of like that you are nearly a full day ahead. It makes me realize the world will still be here tomorrow!grin Aside from that, confusion is a bit of constant state for me with some thing for other. I do have a teenager, lol! She is a source of many things for me, most all them wonderful and inspiring, and she definitely keeps me young. Sometimes the view of the world through her eyes is a bit disorienting, but generally still a thing of hope and wonder so it is pretty good, really. But, yes, confusion is an element of daily mindset for me, and the “where am I” with the date thing is actually kind of fun. I do just want to make sure I’m here for you in a timely way somehow. blush

Im good Anthony. Heading in to my last work day before 7 off, so, I’m actually really good! Contemplating an Ocean trip this coming week. Have to look at the roads over the Coast Range. Close to time to start seeing the Grey Whales heading North and I never want to miss that. The process is a few weeks long but really peaks about the last week of March. I might get brave and take one of the boats out to watch this year. Vomiting is inevitable when I do that, so I’ve shied away the past couple of years as there are good spots to see them from shore if you know where to go. Not the same as being on the boat as they do come rather close. Definitely awe inspiring creatures. Some of them you see these huge wounds on and, yet, they go about their way. Portland is good. Still having some wobbles as most places are, but still flourishing overall I think. Lots of colors bursting forth all of a sudden and that is always a refreshing thing to see. 
So...why go down on the patches quite yet? I mean if they are helpful and it’s a noticeable difference? I’m sorry about the hip pain. It does make sense that smoking would worsen it as nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. As are the other things in cigarettes. You are going to heal so much more quickly having a month under your belt before the surgery, so, let’s keep doing this ok? Eyes on the prize and not too much thought for the brief extremely short term gratification that you think a smoke will give you as we know what that would be followed by; a deeper state of remorse that definitely outweighs any fleeting sense of relief or pleasure. Focus on the relief of pain in the hip and grounding sense a few deep breaths bring. Craves pass whether we smoke or not. This we know. Soon you will turn a bit of corner and they will be notable losing some steam. Ride them out. You are stronger than you know. 
Ooooh...just realized I think I’m writing a novella in the NOPE thread. So, I’ve got your hand with a NOPE and will move on. Have a beautiful day Anthony. You are in my thoughts. blush

Loreficent

Mar-5

Yeah, I read that too Eve. It’s true for me as well. Actually is good to be reminded of it sometimes. So...I’ll take your hand! NOPE. Not going through that again. 

Jatchat

Mar-5

Thanks Lori, you make so much sense about the smoking and the constriction of the blood vessels. The reason I cut back to one patch was because of the cost of the patches, our budget is tight being on a pension and all. So far it is OK I always have the inhaler I was not using that much with two patches. Though I do feel on the edge a bit more, I just keep saying to myself NOPE, I choose not to smoke for a myriad of reasons, the main reason is health, I was starting to feel shortness of breath when climbing our hill beside the river, now the benefits are lower blood pressure, pulse rate, lungs are clear, (had an X-Ray last week) ECG was normal, blood sugar good cholesterol good, Doctor said I was fit. I just have to stay away from the cigarettes, it only take a momentary lapse of reason and I'm back in the soup, for that reason I like to keep busy, and productive if I can

Enjoy your whale watching if you go, do you have a good set of binoculars for viewing, we mainly get humpback whales here they will be migrating North because of our winter from the Antarctica.

Take care Lori

Kind regards

Anthony