About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPE Pledge, Tuesday 6th April 2021   General Chit-Chat

Started Apr-5 by Jatchat; 427 views.
Jatchat

Apr-5

Hi all,

A pledge from me today yes a No Puff day from me, NOPE

Please join me in resisting this chemical addiction.

Kind regards

Anthony

euknight

Apr-6

Good Morning Anthony,

How are you feeling?  My friend fell and only needs a pin in her hip...we were grateful no replacement yet.  Is your recovery going well? Thank you for the 11 month congrats....drum roll..on Thursday.  Yay!,

Pledging NOPE today gladly.  Keep up the good work!! It is really so worth it.  Clean living.  Nothing better.

Come on friends!!  Who will join us in taking the NOPE pledge plunge?

Peggy

5-8-20

blackbird912

Apr-6

Ok.  I will give it a try.  I am new here and this morning will be my first day here but I am definitely not new to quitting.  I have smoked on and off for over 50 years.  Ugh, this is taking me a long time to figure this non smoker stuff out.  It seems that the more I try the harder it is to stay quit.  But I will not give up!  So here I am.  Thank you for being here.

chris

oxanquits

Apr-6

I pledge NOPE today, one day at a time!

Loreficent

Apr-6

Good morning Chris, and welcome!

So...in the words of Yoda “There is no try, only do”. All here understand and tell ourselves and each other that stopping smoking and entering recovery from it is not that simple and not easy. I agree. There isn’t a lot to figure out really though,  we choose, to smoke or not. I think it helps to understand it starts with a decision, then a true commitment. Say to yourself you choose not to and are sticking to it No.Matter.What. This commitment lets go of “try” and accepts it is done. You are an ex smoker from now till forever! Yippeee! All you have to do is not smoke. The difficulty lies in you are also a nicotine addict from now until forever.  It is certainly possible to stop smoking and enter recovery and people do it every day. It also takes focus and work and is AMAZING! Welcome to recovery and know you are not alone and have a huge amount of support here. It is what was the tipping point for me this time, to know I was with folks that “get it”. Start at the top in the April 2021 New Ex Smokers folder. Half down that first post is a link called “homework for new ex smokers” or something  to that effect. There are a lot of short, very readable articles that will help you understand so many aspects of this addiction that you may never have realized or thought about. I really believe the more we understand about our addiction, the better prepared we are to recover from it. Sounds like you, as for many of us, have quit a few times in the past. This is my first quit that I truly accepted that I am an addict, and also that  I took the time to learn about it. That and this forum made a world of difference. Anyway...off my soapbox now....glad you found this site and hope you put it to use. You are DOING this!!!

On with my NOPE too, lol....

Jatchat

Apr-6

All is well on the quit smoking front, as for my hip it is swollen and painful, I don't know whether I hit the exercise to hard at first or its a natural reaction to the operation, anyway might ring physio today, Your friend sounds lucky, just a pin. Though that would be painful to I imagine.

boylant22

Apr-6

Pledging NOPE alongside all of you today too!

Jatchat

Apr-6

Hi Chris,

It's easy, the solution - just don't smoke, you will be amazed as the days just pile up, look at me, 40 days and nights smoke free, how did I do it? Just don't smoke. For every craving you get just say NOPE not one puff ever, once you have made a commitment to stop smoking and make it Number 1 Priority in your life, the rest just follows. Stick close to this site, read and post.

Kind regards

Anthony

euknight

Apr-7

Hi Anthony,

Am so sorry you are still hurting.  Hoping you will be better soon.  Yes, PT ought to help. Hopefully a cigarette has not crossed your mind.  Yuck.  I always tried to smoke myself to wellness....Lol.  Knowing fully well it would leave me feeling sicker but doing it anywayalienNow I have no desire to make myself sicker.

Stay strong!!!  You are doing a fabulous job,!

Peggy

5-8-20

Jatchat

Apr-7

Thanks Peggy,

Apparently Ice Packs and lying with legs elevated should do the trick, according to my surgeons nurse, and just to take it easy with the walking at the moment.