About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/4/21 by slowblumer; 39968 views.
Denim50

Nov-1

Hey xvaper, 

Sorry these are a little late reaching you but I hope you had a wonderful day celebrating four months on Friday and eighteen weeks yesterday. I was off the forum four days. I wasn’t feeling too good. I try not to be off too long at a time though. Anyway, again I apologize but I’m still so happy for you! These are amazing accomplishments and you did it! This is so great. I hope you did something special for yourself to celebrate. Keep going. You are doing this and we’re all so proud of you and happy for you! You have so much to celebrate and to be proud of in yourself. Just look at these wonderful achievements! Yay you! Hugs.  

Have a great day.  

• Edited November 1, 2021 6:14 am  by  Denim50
xvaper

Nov-1

Hi Denim, thank you so much! I heard about the tricky threes but I didn't have them. I do recently have thought. and even dreams of smoking and my junky mind does try to justify smoking. I am not indulging, but it's annoying and I can'r wait to have zero thoughts of smoking like most of my friends who quit...

Anne2020

Nov-1

Feuerwerk fireworks GIF - Find on GIFER

• Edited November 1, 2021 2:34 pm  by  Anne2020
Denim50

Nov-3

Hey xvaper, 

Please know that you’re not alone. Others have experienced that too, yes even at the same stage of cessation as yourself, including one of my quit-buddies. So it’s not uncommon or unusual for some. I’m sorry you’re going through that though. At the same time, huge congratulations to you on staying strong through this rough spot. I know the dreams can seem so real sometimes and that because of that they can bring those thoughts back to the forefront for another round in the battle and that it can be really frustrating, and sometimes feel a bit exhausting. Still, and thankfully, they are only dreams. Nonetheless, when you get frustrated like that don’t keep it pent up or let it weaken you, instead let it out. There’s strength in releasing those emotions. Do as you’ve done here and post for support or to support others, or post for a sounding board. We all know what a roller coaster it can be starting out, that’s why that first year is so important. You could also write in a journal, have a good cry or scream, go to the gym and punch a punching bag, or a soft pillow at home, just don’t keep it inside. Keeping emotions pent up can make the fight seem even more of a battle, and you don’t need that. So, let it out, keep going, and remind  yourself that this is temporary. It will pass. You can do this and it will get better. You are stronger than this addiction. Please remember too that you are not alone with your quit here. We’re all here for you and we all wish you the very best. Patience isn’t a easy thing to muster sometimes but it is a worthy one and your freedom awaits you too. You’ll get there and each day smoke free is a day closer to it. 

Hugs. 

Have a great day.  

• Edited November 3, 2021 2:13 pm  by  Denim50
xvaper

Nov-3

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. The thoughts are not tormenting, but it’s bothering and annoying too. I made up my mind to not smoke again, and I want to lose any desire to as well, and that’s the frustrating part. I want to be free of this mind fu$k the tobacco company did to us. I’ll try your recommendations though ;)

CindiS319

Nov-3

Hi xvaper,

My good friend and quit buddy from our joint quit on 3/9/2018 (Denim) asked if I could check in with you because she remembers me going through the same thing with dreams (isn't she awesome??!!). 

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS on 4 MONTHS!!!!  Woohooo!!!  That is an awesome achievement.  You have seriously come so far.  You are a third of the way to a year and that is an incredible achievement!  You should be so proud!

Not sure if I can help, but I struggle with dreams all the time (and not just smoking).  Even after over 3 years I still have dreams of smoking and have to do a self check when I wake up.  I am so relieved that I really didn't smoke.  I'm actually pissed at myself like ... "I gave up a 3 year quit???"  Then I realize that I didn't after a few moments.  I know it sucks but its just something that is in our subconscious.  For me with smoking over 35 years, I'm still amazed that I really quit.  Like I REALLY QUIT!!!!! (shouting as loud as I can!!!)  It's funny because people are so supporting when you first do it, but then after some time, they're like "yeah yeah...you quit".  Like after 7 days, you should be home free!  Yeah, doesn't happen like that.  You have to take each day as it comes... and you'll have good and bad.  The good news is after some time (each defined on their own), you'll have more good then bad.  Just last night I had a HUGE fight with my husband (who still smokes and I'm sure he was after this) where I was walking home the last mile to my house (because I couldn't stand another minute in the car with him).  Wow...in the past, I would have smoked 5 cigarettes to calm me down.  Actually, not sure I could have walked that mile when I smoked.  Anyway, breath through all those moments and just take each day at a time (like you're doing).  You are amazing and doing great so just keep doing what you're doing.  Junky thoughts may not go away but they will subside for sure!

Sorry for the long post!  Sending hugs to you!

Denim50

Nov-7

Hey xvaper, 

I hope you have amazing day celebrating another of your terrific milestones! What a great accomplishment! Do something special, pat yourself on the back, and remind yourself that YOU ROCK! I’m so happy for you! 

Have a great day.  

xvaper

Nov-9

thank you Denim! sorry for the delayed response I was occupied the last two weeks. I must say I had a couple of triggers recently in social situations but at the end of the day It's me who decided to quit, I said no more and I meant no more. hopefully with time I wont even. have any triggers at all.

Anne2020

Nov-9

You may always have triggers.  I know people who have been quit for over 20 years and still, every once in a while, think about that smoke after dinner, or with a beer, or some such thing.  Over time however, you will find it much easier to dismiss.  The more your dismiss the urge to smoke, the easier it gets.  It becomes a learned response instead of a thought out deliberate action.

Give yourself some gold stars, you are learning well.

Cheers to you,Free Smiley Face Clip Art, Download Free Smiley Face Clip Art png images,  Free ClipArts on Clipart Library