About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/4/21 by slowblumer; 52842 views.
modCindi (CindiS319)

11/3/21

Hi xvaper,

My good friend and quit buddy from our joint quit on 3/9/2018 (Denim) asked if I could check in with you because she remembers me going through the same thing with dreams (isn't she awesome??!!). 

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS on 4 MONTHS!!!!  Woohooo!!!  That is an awesome achievement.  You have seriously come so far.  You are a third of the way to a year and that is an incredible achievement!  You should be so proud!

Not sure if I can help, but I struggle with dreams all the time (and not just smoking).  Even after over 3 years I still have dreams of smoking and have to do a self check when I wake up.  I am so relieved that I really didn't smoke.  I'm actually pissed at myself like ... "I gave up a 3 year quit???"  Then I realize that I didn't after a few moments.  I know it sucks but its just something that is in our subconscious.  For me with smoking over 35 years, I'm still amazed that I really quit.  Like I REALLY QUIT!!!!! (shouting as loud as I can!!!)  It's funny because people are so supporting when you first do it, but then after some time, they're like "yeah yeah...you quit".  Like after 7 days, you should be home free!  Yeah, doesn't happen like that.  You have to take each day as it comes... and you'll have good and bad.  The good news is after some time (each defined on their own), you'll have more good then bad.  Just last night I had a HUGE fight with my husband (who still smokes and I'm sure he was after this) where I was walking home the last mile to my house (because I couldn't stand another minute in the car with him).  Wow...in the past, I would have smoked 5 cigarettes to calm me down.  Actually, not sure I could have walked that mile when I smoked.  Anyway, breath through all those moments and just take each day at a time (like you're doing).  You are amazing and doing great so just keep doing what you're doing.  Junky thoughts may not go away but they will subside for sure!

Sorry for the long post!  Sending hugs to you!

Denim50

11/7/21

Hey xvaper, 

I hope you have amazing day celebrating another of your terrific milestones! What a great accomplishment! Do something special, pat yourself on the back, and remind yourself that YOU ROCK! I’m so happy for you! 

Have a great day.  

xvaper

11/9/21

thank you Denim! sorry for the delayed response I was occupied the last two weeks. I must say I had a couple of triggers recently in social situations but at the end of the day It's me who decided to quit, I said no more and I meant no more. hopefully with time I wont even. have any triggers at all.

Anne2020

11/9/21

You may always have triggers.  I know people who have been quit for over 20 years and still, every once in a while, think about that smoke after dinner, or with a beer, or some such thing.  Over time however, you will find it much easier to dismiss.  The more your dismiss the urge to smoke, the easier it gets.  It becomes a learned response instead of a thought out deliberate action.

Give yourself some gold stars, you are learning well.

Cheers to you,Free Smiley Face Clip Art, Download Free Smiley Face Clip Art png images,  Free ClipArts on Clipart Library

xvaper

11/9/21

Thanks Anne. It's an ongoing battle, some people have it easy and I know some of them (quit one day, had no desire to smoke from then on) ,others who struggle some, and those who really have a hard time. I thinkI am in the second category, but like we all know, for the vast vast majority, there is no just one cigarette and certainly not for me. So yea, if I decide to go back to smoking, that's my decision, no one else to blame or blaming the addiction, I did this. But I decided I did not want to smoke anymore so I should stick with it ( with a little help....)

Denim50

11/16/21

Hey xvaper, 

Congratulations on reaching 20 weeks smoke free yesterday. That’s a wonderful achievement! 

Have a great day.  

xvaper

11/17/21

Thank you so much!

Denim50

11/22/21

Hey xvaper, 

Congratulations on 21 weeks smoke free! You’re doing great and I love seeing your post inspiring others. I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating, treat yourself to something special, have a great week ahead, and a very happy Thanksgiving day Thursday. Hugs. 

Have a great day.  

xvaper

11/22/21

Thank you Denim!

Im not sure about the dates though.. I think its 18 or 19 weeks..I don't even remember what date I quit exactly.

Either way it's almost 5 months I cant believe it. I am going to be having a big challenge coming up in January. I 'm going abroad to visit my family for 6 weeks. I will be surrounded by smokers, social smokers, you name it. I'm very nervous. 

Denim50

11/26/21

Hey xvaper, 

I hope you had a wonderfully fun and happy holiday yesterday. I hope you have a great weekend ahead too. 

You’re very welcome. I’m happy to celebrate your wonderful milestones with you but please don’t cut your weeks short. You’re doing amazing! Your quit date is: June 29th. Yes, it really has been 21 weeks smoke free, and will be 22 weeks on Monday, Nov. 29th. Even a bit more amazing is that the 29th will not only be your fifth month milestone but will also be your 22nd week smoke free, so another double celebration that day. I hope you do something extra special for yourself to celebrate. You have so much to be proud of in yourself and with your quit. I’m proud of you also, we all are. Nonetheless, for now, try to keep your focus on today and keep going. You’re doing great. As to you trip in January, try not to get yourself too worked up over it right now. Instead, think about this for a quick moment. Next month you will be six months quit, that’s half a year, and what a truly wonderful gift to give yourself! That’s a amazing accomplishment. Also, with each passing day you’re developing your quit muscles as Marge often says. You’re growing stronger as you go, getting a better hold and a more secure footing on your quit. So, by the time you leave on your trip, you’ll be over half a year quit and moving closer toward that seventh month milestone. You may feel a bit better and/or a bit more secure in yourself, your quit, and your ability to manage the situation better by then. Wait and see how you’re feeling closer to January. Until then be patient with yourself and continue to give yourself time. Getting yourself worked up now will only add more stress that you don’t need to deal with, especially with the holidays approaching. If closer to the trip you still have concerns, we can still talk about it then and I’ll happily be here, along with others I’m sure, to support and help you. You can do it. However, you still have some time yet. So again, for now, try to keep your focus on today if you can and keep taking your quit a day at a time, because doing that has brought you this far and I’ve no doubt as to how far you can go. The fact that you’ve made such progress with your quit that you’ve lost sight of your quit date says a lot too. relaxed 

Some times things are just worth repeating…. Hugs.  

Have a great day.  

xvaper

Jun-29 

Hello Everyone,

I am back here again after 6 months relapse. Before that i had three months clean. This forum really helped me at the time, and so I am back. First day of quitting today!

• Edited November 26, 2021 4:47 pm  by  Denim50