About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Aug-1 by Terry (abquitsmking); 26326 views.
Sassy47

Aug-21

Was a good day.  Took a walk around a lake nearby with a friend, shopping downtown with my daughter and then dinner and drinks with another friend.  It was kind of a test of my willpower but I made it through with minimal urges even when my friend was smoking.  I just feel like this is it?

xvaper

Aug-21

First of all, Happy birthday

Secondly, I definitely think my next move will be to an apartment where I am not responsible for the whole house. And I'm 48!

I tried to get my money back from the first contractor, no luck. And then fixing the damage..I used to think it dumb to live in an apartment and have to pay the common charges to the management, now i'm not so sure. Still the house is significantly going up in value every year, so I am not ready to sell yet. But I will eventually , I want to live my life without these headaches. As for my quit, I am doing really well I must say. Some days I didn't even think about cigarettes at all, or if I did it was brief and not significant. I feel lucky this time around. BUT its so easy to slip, so I cant become blasé about it. Good for you that you are making your way through this quit while unbelievable stressful renovations is going on. It's a real a achievement. Of course cigarettes would make it worse not better anyways. 

xvaper

Aug-21

Diana (DianaSaigo) said:

...and it is all fake..

In NYC we are quite sheltered from this ignorant behavior but to see it in the news or speaking to friends who live elsewhere in these united states it not only scary but also sad. So many deniers died this way and still people continue to eat up all sorts of lies. The one that makes me crack up the most is those who post on social media FROM their phones talking about that imaginary chip that the Government/Bill gates is putting in them shots to track you. Dude, They are tracking you through your cell phone RIGHT NOW. You are using the phone right now. They don't need a chip hahahah.

JasonS78

Aug-21

So hi my name is Jason. I smoked for 30 years had a stroke like thing happen that scared me and my wife I quit smoking immediately in march 5th 2021. Then my mom passed away in July. I flew to Texas where my whole family smokes... Got caught up in it and smoked again. Came home to my wife admitted to her what I did. She was upset but we were ok. Fast forward to this week... I got diagnosed with diabetes and also adult ADHD. Every thing I know is changing because apparently my diabetes went undiagnosed for a while and I was even admitted to hospital last week, which is how I found out about the diabetes. So my world has been crazy and confusing also trying to get all these new mess and insulin and adder all and all regulated. I go out in my garage to get my tool bag to fix the toilet and lo and behold I find a gold mine.... Almost entire pack of old smokes. I lit up so fast to take the edge off I don't even think about what I was doing... I got caught because my Huskies fur smelled like smoke after I pet him. She is now furious at me and wants to leave me after 10 yrs. She never smoked so she does not understand the grip it has on you. Also that relapses happen. I am about to lose my wife what can I say to help explain how sorry I am and how quickly it happened? Please help

• Edited August 21, 2021 7:47 pm  by  JasonS78
Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Hi Jason,

Nicotine addiction is just like heroin addiction...or alcohol addiction. I am sorry you are having problems in your relationship...that is something only you can fix.  There is a website Whyquit.com  that is very very informative and can help you in your journey...and help you to understand this addiction and the power it holds over you!  Smoking is not your friend...it is poisoning and killing you...

I wish you the best in this journey!  and stay close to the boards!  Not one puff ever!

In reply toRe: msg 185
Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Hello my fellow quitters!

Today was a bit rough...I have been reading stories  and such from various quit smoking websites..and thought, eh...i will just stop doing the lozenges...cause I really wasn't using them very much!  But I think because i made that conscious decision...that my junky thinking threw me mentally!  seriously, I was discombobulated...LOL...no i didnt smoke...i did end up having a lozenge..which calmed me the heck down..so have told myself..to be patient..and that i can have a  lozenge whenever i need one..and so far..have only had two...because i am not telling myself no!  LOL yes it is my insanity!  

Otherwise...good day!   Hope everyone is have a great weekend!  and staying SMOBER!!!

Diana

freckled1968

Aug-22

Yay well done Diana for not smoking. That junky thinking can be so damn hard to push past. I say stick with the lozenges until you’re more solid in your quit.There way better than smoking.

Decided not to sand my floors today as I realised I really don’t need any extra stress at this point in my quit, so will do them in a month or so time when I feel a bit more settled

keep on NOPING, and we’ll done again for not smoking!

freckles xxx

In reply toRe: msg 187
freckled1968

Aug-22

5 really good things I’ve found since quitting vaping(I smoked for 30 years, 30 a day, quit for 4, and vaped for6)

1- I have lost a really nasty hacking cough accompanied by phlegm (sorry tmi)

2- I can breathe easier and deeper into my lungs

3- my daughter is proud of me

4- I have more money

5- I’m not quite as worried if I catch covid

I hope to add to this list as time goes on

happy somber Sunday all

freckles xxx

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Morning Sassy!

I think taking walks are a wonderful thing! Though not sure about tempting myself by being around other smokers.  LOL Am glad you managed to get through that without any major urges!  I know many on here have significant others who are still smokers.. and my hubby quit cold turkey...almost 9 months before i  quit!  

It looks to be a very sunshiny Sunday and warm here on my part of the planet!  Here's to another day of being a quitter!

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Morning!

I am 100% sure that i wont see any of the money..but it is the principle and if i can keep them from doing this to someone else..so be it!  As far as the not smoking during this..yea...am doing okay!  Today am focusing on changing my mindset and perception of what smoking truly is doing...why would I allow that...it isnt logical...

Let me count the ways, that smoking is trying to kill me...it has lead to severe periodontal disease and bone loss..so now i have dentures...with lots of gluey goop because i hardly have a palate because of the loss of bone.  I have had to have two spinal fusions for Degenerative disc disease...and yet i was still sucking on that poison stick..in 2008, I had a heart attack...and 8 stents in my heart..(I had quit smoking...for 3 and 1/2 years)  Discovered looking through my medical records that i had emphysema..had no idea...i guess the doctors just assumed i knew that...yet here i was smoking away...

I just want off the crazy train...

Hugs

Diana