About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Aug-1 by Terry (abquitsmking); 26978 views.
Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Evening over yonder!  

I watched a video...yesterday...on why NRT's are good for not smoking and why they are different...thought it was interesting...and helped me to understand why it was okay.  So yes, going to use my lozenges...and stay focused on changing my mindset..and attitude towards this addiction.  

I live in an old victorian...with all hardwood flooring and wood work throughout..am sure my floors could use a proper refinishing!  I am not a very handy person...it isnt cause I havent watched HGTV...it is just I am that inept in that department!  LOL   I am sure when you finally decide to sand and varnish your floors, they will be stunning!  and you are right to be kind to yourself during this transition!

not one puff today!!!  

Hugs

Diana

Sassy47

Aug-22

Good morning.  My husband is a smoker.  I did find yesterday a bit more challenging.  I couldn't sit outside in my gazebo with him for too long.  But I made it through another day  Each craving I don't give into gives me that much more confidence? Have a great day!

Jatchat

Aug-22

Thanks Dianna, in short, I am a Jeckyl and Hyde character when it comes to smoking, I can't live without it, I know I can If I try to live without it, it's such an insidious chemical nicotine, It changes your personality from I care what happens to my body to I don't care about my body.

I have a lot of support to quit smoking, I have a psychologist who doubles up as a guitar tutor, and my quit smoking counsellor, and you wonderful people on this chat site, who really care.

Yes slowly equipping your brain through knowledge of this addiction helps equip your mind for battle, and the promise of a new life provides hope, and without hope ( I won't go there); we continue to thrive with hope

Good luck with your quit, 

Kind regards

Anthony

• Edited August 22, 2021 11:46 am  by  Jatchat
Jatchat

Aug-22

I can relate to your situation my wife smokes, well done on getting through yesterday without caving, these quits are precious and worth saving.

Kind regards

Anthony

Sassy47

Aug-22

Have a great day! 

Jatchat

Aug-22

Thanks you to

Loreficent

Aug-22

Hi there,

This isn’t really the space for me to go on and on, but, thank you for your support of Science and REALITY. Those of us working with these folks every day, once again, are so profoundly sad and downtrodden. First time around we were all in the same boat. Now, those of us in healthcare are still in the boat attempting still to throw life lines to those that wanted to swim the rapids without a life jacket. Yay. God bless the United States of Amnesia. How nice to conveniently forget how Smallpox wiped out Nations of Indigenous People, and Polio, well you’d think at least that would be in some of these folk’s memories. Well, guess what? We do not even vaccinate for either of those anymore. Why??? Oh, could it possibly be because over time vaccines worked???  How could that possibly be? Well, it was possible because we didn’t live in a place that put individual “rights” and opinions above the collective community. How would you like to be the car accident victim right now in need of intensive care and you couldn’t get a bed because it was filled with a 40 year old anti-vaxxer who is being vented in prone with a rectal tube because they have COVID? Yeah. Life isn’t fair. “Fair” is where you go on rides and eat cotton candy. 
Anyway…you’re not alone in your frustrations and thoughts. Please…do not let these or any other momentary frustrations lead you back to smoking or vaping. Rise above. You’re doing your part and that’s all you can do. Leave the rest to us who have to work with these people daily, all while rising above being human and not being able to do anything but smile and swab. 

OK. Had to come back and add. Just read an article about folks in Mississippi who would not take the COVID19 vaccine, but they are willing to take Ivermectin as the surge ravages through. Ivermectin is an antiparasitic. There it is used largely to deworm livestock. This makes about as much sense in my mind as smoking cigarettes, lol joy. Yeah, I used to do that, so this isn’t a judgment; just another observation of stupid. No vaccine for that. Just think how many folks would quit smoking if there were a vaccine that just made you instantly not want to smoke, right? 

CC to xvaper
xvaper

Aug-22

I'm so sorry to hear of all the ailments you have had because of smoking, and I'm happy you are back on the wagon.

My aunt quit at 60yo one minute after the doctor showed her an xray of her lungs, it was functioning at 20 percent. It has been 6 years, she is doing great and will never touch a cigarette again.

Every cigarette not smoked is a huge benefit, and your body is regenerating itself. You already know what it did to you, so no scare tactics would work here, it's an addiction at its worst and that is what they want us to be, junkies, to make themselves beyond rich. But you will not let the addiction win, nor let those bastards get one more penny out of you.

you quit buddy!

xvaper

Aug-22

That is amazing Anthony, I don't have the discipline to do everything you just listed. I did not know you achieved so much. You are so strong, you are motivated you will beat this one too.

xvaper

Aug-22

When polio vaccine came out everyone lined up. There was not social media or internet for all the crack pots to release their insane theories. But I think it is more than that. When did people become so ignorant? What is it in so many people that respond positively to this kind or lunacy? Could this be a failure of the public education system? Local leadership? I don't know, but there must be some explanation for this shift towards sweeping distrust of all authority, science and logic. Specifically in these United States. Do these people think they will live forever so they will not take the 'risk' to vaccinate themselves against deadly disease? Why do they feel no moral accountability to the society where they live? Where does this selfishness come from? It did not appear out of thin air.

Governments can already track you through your phone dummy, but why would they want to anyways, you are not important.

Eye role