About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

17 Years on August 23rd!   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Aug-26 by SlySatyr9; 1357 views.
Cocoa60

Sep-4

Congrats on 17 years, I'm right behind you, coming up on 15 years.  Sorry about Heidi.  I just

lost Brandy to a cancer tumor in her leg in July.  She walked with me almost every day.  One

of my closest friends in this world.  Cigs are in my thoughts anymore.

xvaper

Sep-4

Congratulations SlySatyr9. I am only 9 weeks in but I want to become a none smoker for good! You inspire me.

SlySatyr9

Sep-5

Thank you Cocoa60 and congratulations on 15 years smoke free.  We are both proof that one can kick the habit and maintain a long term quit.  My commiserations also on the loss of Brandy. To me it is amazing how our furbabies worm their way into our heart and take a piece of it with them when they leave.  I sincerely hope you find a rescue that you can love as much as you did Brandy.

Saturnine Sly 

In reply toRe: msg 3
SlySatyr9

Sep-5

Thank you xvaper and congratulations to you too for a solid nine weeks.  That is certainly nothing to sneeze at and you will find yourself getting stronger with each day you stay "smober," One thing that helped me was to set very minor goals and then find little ways to reward myself for achieving them - a way to replace the "reward cigarette." I also kept telling myself that the 100% guaranteed cast-iron road to success was NOPE!  Hold fast to that and you will do great.

Saturnine Sly

xvaper

Sep-5

Thank you so much for your support and advice!

Denim50

Sep-7

Hey Slysatyr9, 

I’m sorry to hear about Heidi. Though special furbabies can not ever be replaced in our hearts, I hope you found another special furbaby to share your heart and their love. 

Congratulations on seventeen years smoke free! That’s wonderful! Thank you so much for posting about it, giving us the chance to celebrate with you, and for lending your support and inspiration to everyone following along. Keep leading the way…. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

• Edited September 7, 2021 7:59 am  by  Denim50
SlySatyr9

Sep-7

Thank you very much Denim and congratulations to you on three and a half years of no smoking.  By now you should have definitely found the "peace" that comes after the travails of the quit.  Kudos too on you clever use of graphics!

It took a couple of years to get over Heidi.  Then came Roxie - a wild and rambunctious rescue who stayed with us for almost fourteen years:

The current mischief maker of the household is 13 lbs of Dachshund tweeny mix from Mostly Mutts: Sir Barxalot Knight of the Oblong (Kitchen) Table).  

I heartily recommend anyone who is quitting smoking to get a dog (or some other lovable pet) as their traveling companion.  It is virtually impossible to get depressed when you have a dog beside you!

Saturnine Sly

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Sep-19

wow!  17 years!!!!!  i cant even imagine!  that is a huge achievement!  just wow!!!

the longest quit i have had is 3 1/2 years...and yes i was stupid...will tell anybody that!  shouldnt have ever started smoking again...

Anne2020

Sep-20

What made you decide to pick up a smoke after 3 1/2 years?  If you don't mind sharing.  I am mindful of so many end up back to smoking after years and want to get an idea of how this happens.  I am 1 year 8 months so well into it but a bit worried too.

Thx for sharing. 

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Sep-21

My story...is not a good one...

I gained a tremendous amount of weight.. and in my mind...it seemed like the solution...I actually had to force myself to smoke..i could feel the poison...with every puff...took about a week or two...to have the addiction again...as i really hated cigarettes...(the weight did come off but there are better solutions)