About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

17 Years on August 23rd!   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Aug-26 by SlySatyr9; 2426 views.
Diana (DianaSaigo)

Sep-19

wow!  17 years!!!!!  i cant even imagine!  that is a huge achievement!  just wow!!!

the longest quit i have had is 3 1/2 years...and yes i was stupid...will tell anybody that!  shouldnt have ever started smoking again...

Anne2020

Sep-20

What made you decide to pick up a smoke after 3 1/2 years?  If you don't mind sharing.  I am mindful of so many end up back to smoking after years and want to get an idea of how this happens.  I am 1 year 8 months so well into it but a bit worried too.

Thx for sharing. 

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Sep-21

My story...is not a good one...

I gained a tremendous amount of weight.. and in my mind...it seemed like the solution...I actually had to force myself to smoke..i could feel the poison...with every puff...took about a week or two...to have the addiction again...as i really hated cigarettes...(the weight did come off but there are better solutions)

Anne2020

Sep-21

That is so interesting to me.  I also gained a lot of weight and have thought about taking up smoking to lost weight again. 

However, since I quite I still cannot breath very well  and  I just can't imagine taking up smoking again. 

I am trying other alternatives, better diet (good luck with that) multivitamins, more exercise oh sure - during a pandemic-, etc.  Not having a lot of luck so far.  

I guess I'm just going to have to get used to being a non-smoking porker for the time being.  

Thanks for sharing that with me.      

Cheers

SlySatyr9

Sep-21

Thank you Diana.  That is very kind of you and I welcome your "wows" with much appreciation.  I must also gently slap you on the wrist for calling yourself stupid for losing a quit.  We were after all addicts and gaining release from an addiction often requires multiple tries.  I lost a six month quit many years ago and resolved from then on to treat it as my very own flesh and blood baby.  You are well on your way to becoming FREE forever so keep up the good work!

Best Regards,

Saturnine Sly

xvaper

Sep-23

When I switched from Vegetarian to Healthy Vegan food, 4 years ago, I lost 10 pounds without trying. Once you eat whole carbs (brown rice, whole wheat, etc) , limit your oil a little bit, and lose the dairy products, the pounds will melt off. 

In order to succeed in this I told myself myself that if I really really want to eat some eggs, or a cream cake, I will, it just is not in my daily diet. I learned to cook yummy recipes with lentils and chickpeas and long grain brown rice, and lots of amazing vegetable recipes, because I am very fussy with my food, and most vegan food out there is either not good for you because its full of unhealthy ingredients ( just being Vegan does not equal healthy), and also because I don't like Tofu so I have to be inventive. I also don't like things that are supposed to taste like something else, mock vegan meat and eggs and cheese. It tastes awful. I didn't eat meet anyways but if I want cheese I will eat it, same with butter and eggs, once in a blue. I also feel much better. I  recommend. 

Anne2020

Sep-23

Thank you - that is great advice and I appreciate it.  I love my veggies too.  I am trying to get sugar out of my diet as much as possible as well.  It is rather difficult but I am learning.  It never really watched my diet much as I was always lean.   When I quit smoking, I increased the snacking and, with limited mobility due to pandemic restrictions, I have really piled on the pounds.  

Getting sugar out of my diet has been a real education.  I had no idea so much sugar was in so many foods.  A bit more exercise wouldn't go amiss either.

Thx again for the tips.  Cheers

xvaper

Sep-24

Ofcourse! If you can, try to get off dairy for awhile see if it works for you… 

Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Hello Sly! 

Congratulations on 15 years ( how is that possible?!) of smoke-freedom!  I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but so happy you stopped by to celebrate the occasion.  Quitting is the single most rewarding challenge I've ever taken on, and the rewards continue to this day.  I'm sure you feel similarly! 

I'm sorry for the sweet furbabies you've had to usher over the Rainbow Bridge.  It's such hard duty. Sir Barxalot looks like a fun addition to the family. Good, cuddly company. heart

I'm still in touch w/ Dee and Mic and will let them know you hit this momentous milestone. 

It's so good to hear from you, Sly. :-)

(((hugs))), T.

SlySatyr9

Oct-10

Hello Terry (Possum's "Big Tree" and The Lady Who Made All This Possible),

Thank you so much for the congratulations and everything you have done for this forum and for about.com.  It looks like a monumental anniversary is coming up for you too on 10/29 so many congratulations in advance.  I agree with you wholeheartedly about the challenge of quitting smoking and the ever increasing benefits of having done so.  I am incredibly grateful to you, the mods, and the forumily for keeping me on the straight and narrow for all these years.  Who knew the answer was as simple as NOPE?

Yes, please pass on my warmest regards to Dee, Mic and the other mods who have made this forum such a welcoming place.  You all should feel tremendously proud of your accomplishments and the many thousands (or is it hundreds of thousands?) of ex-smokers you have created.  Please never stop!

"With an attitude of gratitude!"

Saturnine Sly