About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

September 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Sep-3 by slowblumer; 18830 views.
Anne2020

Sep-24

I found this forum about a month or two after I quit.  I log in every day.  It seems to help to be apart of a group of people who are going through the same thing - quitting smoking/vaping/nicotine.  People at different stages of their quit, some just beginning, some a few months in, other a year or two and some that have quite for many years.  There are lots of articles to read in the library as well as stories of past quitters which are all very helpful.  There is another site that often gets mention on this forum called  https://whyquit.com/index.html.  You might find it helpful to steel your resolve as well.

Distraction from the cravings is key and only time away from smoking will bring you the peaceful joy of breaking from this horrible addiction.

The first couple of days are tough but, once you get through the first few days it gradually gets easier and easier as you will slowly but surely forget all about smoking.   Then its all about maintenance.  Staying the course and never going back.  Not one puff ever. ('NOPE').   

Smoking can become something that you used to do.

Join in the discussions and stay close as I am sure you will find the comradery of this forum very helpful.

Here is an article from Why Quit regarding new quitters challenge you might find helpful.

https://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_QuitOneHour.html

Cheers   

• Edited September 24, 2021 10:12 am  by  Anne2020
BigBoz4him

Sep-24

Anne,

Thank you for your once again helpful words.   You seem quite knowledgeable on the topic and I find it quite encouraging to read your posts.  I am in the midst of creating a plan to stay off permanently and like I said before I quit last night at 7.   Part of my plan involves following along with an online seminar by Dr. Arthur Weaver.   I'm not sure if u have heard of him but he helped me succeed once in the past and im going to use him as an adjuct for the next four days.  The reason I mention this is because one of the things he asks is that I find a support buddy to hold me accountable essentially...   I was curious if you would be my support buddy?   It would be nothing more than me checking in daily with you through this forum to let u know I'm smoke free and how things are going.   I know that u don't even know me but I honestly can't think of anyone else to ask as my wife takes little interest in my desire to quit and I don't know anyone who would understand the process well enough to take holding me accountable seriously....If u don't feel comfortable doing it then its fine and I will check in with the forum anyway... but I'm trying to follow his recs and I feel like it would really help.   

Anne2020

Sep-24

I would be happy to be your support buddy.  I am honoured that you asked me.  

I check in on this forum every day.  Usually first thing in the morning (around 9:30 10 a.m.) and periodically throughout the day.

I have not heard of Dr. Arthur Weaver.  Sounds interesting.  I will have to look him up.

I am so pleased you are sticking to your quit.  This is the most important time - the beginning.  You will have the biggest fight with yourself in the next few days.  How are you doing?  What changes have you noticed so far?  What distractions do you have to help you through this crucial time?

You are doing Great!!!  

BigBoz4him

Sep-24

Anne,

Thank you very much!!!  I have spent a great deal of time trying to find a buddy and I think it's amazing having one so knowledgeable!!   So thanks again!   And I am doing well so far....   my decision has been made firmly which is helping. I am drinking lots of water to flush the nicotine faster and be rid of it.  I have noticed that I am more emotional than usual which I remember happening when I quit before. And as far as destractions and avoiding cravings the basic outline of my plan is this: I have alarms set throughout the day on my phone with motivating mantras. I have an emergency craving plan that I have created telling me exactly what to do when a craving appears with steps that include: me acknowledging the craving however stating that I have no intention of entertaining it because of the deep depression and the lack of ability to have fun that comes along nicotine; I will then choose one of four pre-selected distractions to Implement immediately; I then well put a movie on on my phone and drive to the selected distraction activity; I will do all three of these steps quickly before I have a chance to think of anything otherwise. The final part of my plan is a extensive checklist that I have as a widget on my cell phone that includes several things to be done daily to remind and prevent myself using again. The items include heading my daily Mantra alarms, reviewing emergency craving plan, posting on forum, and several others including both cardio and lifting everyday. With the 2 days a week that I work only choosing one of the two exercises. This helps to additionally motivate me because when I'm feeling strong and healthy it lessens my urge to use nicotine. And then on top of this I am following the five day seminar and all that is recommended by Dr. Arthur Weaver. 

I'm feeling confident in my plan and that is just the bare bones description I gave you... but I am VERY serious about quitting for good and having you in my corner will help immensely and has increased my confidence already. So thanks  

How long ago did you quit??

Anne2020

Sep-24

Wow, that is a great comprehensive plan.  You aim to win and that is just so great.  I have been quite since January 1, 2020 and I do not miss it one bit.  I have never been happier with myself for getting out of that addiction and I will never, ever go back to it no matter what.   I love my new, non-smoking lifestyle and all my non-smoking friends and family.  All my new non-smoking hobbies and all the energy and good health I am getting as a non-smoker.

I am so pleased that you have this plan.  It can be difficult to break away from this addiction so every bit of energy you put toward a successful outcome is worth it.  Are you using any NRT's or going cold turkey.  I myself am a cold turkey.

oxanquits

Sep-24

Great, keep the list handy ;) The forum is quite old, somewhere from 00s I think. Additional forums you mentioned are most probably different sections and threads created by users and moderators. That’s what you see on the left, there is a lot of historical information from quitters and also resources to use during your quit, like library. Sounds like you have a plan, but surely you will find additional support here. Happy 1 day smoke-free!

BigBoz4him

Sep-24

That is great that you have been quit for so long. You are coming up on two full years.  Congratulations on that as I know it is not an easy thing to accomplish. And yes, the smoke free lifestyle is the way to go.  I love it also, as most of my hobbies revolve around the outdoors and activities that involve breathing (; ....  but seriously I love it as well. 

Thanks for saying you like my plan. I am taking it very serious and I am blessed to have you to run this stuff by as I have never had it before. I am also a cold turkey. Dr. Arthur Weaver I think puts it best when he says that continuing to use nicotine while trying to give it up is similar to going into labor without delivering the baby!  It isn't very pleasant. 

BigBoz4him

Sep-24

Thanks for the information about the site, interesting it has been around for so long; and yes, I have been looking around on the subjects on the left and it matches what you describe.  I am very happy I found this site. The more help I can find the better. I am trying to gather every resource I can this time to add strength to my quitting process. How far into quitting are you? 

BigBoz4him

Sep-25

I wanted to mention that I think its wonderful you continue to be a part of this forum and help others such as myself.   What other methods have u used to stay off nicotine for this long????  

oxanquits

Sep-25

You can find there something which will inspire or help you at the particular moment. I used to choose the title from the quitting library which matched my mood, it’s nice to know it was written by real people who are probably still quit now.

I quit around 6,5 months ago, after 11 years smoking, tried many times before but only worked after I posted here. It’s a good place, wish you luck