About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

September 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Sep-3 by slowblumer; 22314 views.
BigBoz4him

Sep-28

Good morning. What activities do you like as part of your nonsmoking lifestyle that you are better able to enjoy without cigarettes?   

Anne2020

Sep-28

Everything is better without cigarettes.  Especially spending time with family and friends who do not smoke, and most do not.

Work is better - no more smoke brakes so I get a lot more done in a lot less time.

If I hadn't quit smoking, I would be very sick as I was having problems with shortness of breath and a persistent cough. Now that is much better. 

There is an excellent post in the Form Library which highlights the advantages:  called 'All the Things I Couldn't Have Done as a Smoker.'  Really good read.

You are doing great!  Soon you will notice that you have forgotten about smoking.  It starts with just a little notice that you haven't thought about smoking for a couple of hours.  That 'space' will grow and grow until most of the time you do not think about smoking.

Minute by minute, grows into hours which grow into days, weeks, months and years.  

All the Things I Couldn't Have Done as a Smoker  

Cazza2468

Sep-28

Hey BB 

you are so right that the thought of smoking is way better than the actual doing.  I often just remind myself of what actual smoking tastes like when I get the odd urge/cravings.  I can remember quite well how disgusting most cigs were.  

keep up the good work. You will be through hell week before you know it

caz

Lee.T

Sep-29

Hi,

I stopped for 6 years and I too joking around with my son trying to get him to stop (note even wanting it) landed up smoking again trying to prove to my son that it's all in the mind and that I would be able to stop.  Sadly that was not the case and so have been smoking a further 5 years since :(.  I too am now wanting to quite but am finding it hard to get back to that positive feeling to quite.  I am also needing all the support from here to as this is where I came and got the support to quit the first time.  Am so hoping I can make this happen again.  Best of luck with your quit and hope you coping ok. 

overdoze

Sep-29

Yeah that has happened to me, thinking we I can have one. It takes a few times to stop this i believe, some people can stop on the first go. Congratulations for being quit for 6 years thats a good amount of time. 

Maybe do what worked the first time... Maybe that will help, plus were in a different season now, so maybe enjoying the change of season.. Wish you the best.

Overdoz

Lee.T

Sep-29

Am trying so hard to remember that far back. I do remember going to extreme to quite and was so grateful the day It suddenly happened that I never thought of a smoke again. But I'm going to try get that positive feeling again and stay strong when I start my official quit on 1 October 2021. The same month I quit with the OctNOPERS group hear that time back. I so wish I could also find my old posts but unfortunately not.

Anne2020

Sep-29

I am rooting for you Lee.  I cannot imagine how you must feel having lost a 6 year quit.  It must be devastating.  I know I would have a hard time if I had to quit all over again.   Maybe this time it will be easier for you.  In any event, you know what it takes and that you can do it.  You did it before and this time, its twice as important.  Remember - get through the first 3 days and you are on your way to maintaining a lifelong non-smoking lifestyle.  Be happy that you have chosen this path for yourself and do not let anything, not one thing, take from your non-smoking path.  It's your choice - make it a good one.

I am sending you this lovely bouquet of fall flowers to encourage you to carry on.  

Cheers!!!     

overdoze

Sep-29

I was probably in that group as well, lol. I am using the patch it helps with cravings. I think i remember you from back then you seem familiar. I had wanted to quit years ago cause it was so much work smoking, lol, and money.. took a lot of effort. I have been mostly quit this year but torture myself starting and quitting again, its like starting from the beginning all the time, so its good that you set a quit date it helps mentally prepare for quitting.

Lee.T

Sep-29

Thanks so much for that Ann. I've started a group to join me quiting on 1st October on Alan Carr facebook page. What a turn out of people joining me to quit so hoping I can keep up and motivate them as well as myself.

In reply toRe: msg 102
Jatchat

Sep-29

Hi all,

I am now into a five day quit, the cravings are really getting tough last night and this morning so I thought I'd reach out to the group for support, I am using two patches at the moment and thinking about using the inhaler when things get tough. I am drinking lots of water to flush out the bad stuff, and constantly saying NO to the cravings. The fight is on.

Kind regards

Anthony