About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quit smoking   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Sep-21 by Sue5833; 1415 views.
Sue5833

Sep-21

Hi all, 

So I have not had a cigarette for almost 3 months. I quit the day I surgery for breast cancer. Funny how actually hearing the word cancer can have a sobering effect.

I have quit many times in the past just to start up again. This time has to be the last time. I am done with this and sick of craving something that literally will make me ill, after all smoking killed both my beloved parents. 

This time my approach is approaching it like the addiction I know it is. I am an RN and for the past 5 years I worked in addiction. Funny how Addiction can be the Voice of Reason when you let it speak. This time I am shutting that voice up before it even finishes a thought. I do not let it tell me I can have one, because I can't and it's lying. I can not let it tell me "nobody will know", I will know! I can not let it pretend it will make stressful times better, because it won't! I am shutting down the voice as soon as it starts. 

If anyone else has any good advice to stay away from these nasty things please let me know. How long do these occasional cravings last? Ugh

Anne2020

Sep-21

Wow Sue, you are doing great!!!  Three months is  huge - well done.  For me the occasional crave wave hit for several months, but I got better and better at dealing with them as time went on.   Now they are a thing of the past and instead I have the occasional thought - rather than a crave.  Easily brushed aside.

Keep yourself busy and distracted, doing all the things you couldn't do as a smoker.  Enjoy your new lifestyle and keep tellin that invader voice where to get off.  Don't let it talk you into anything - just like the politicians, it holds nothing but empty promises and a deadly path.

Remember, don't fit your smoker like into a non-smoker life - be a brand new non-smoker you.  Get new clothes, change your hair, join a club (swimming, aerobics, stamp collecting, gardening,) volunteer at your nearest humane society and help out the displaced animals - do the things you couldn't as a smoker and enjoy your new life.

CONGRATULATIONS   

Sue5833

Sep-21

Wow that was beautifully said with great advice. Thank you so much. 

xvaper

Sep-21

Hi Sue,

I am almost three months into my second and last quit. I found that with all the time I have wasted on smoking is now free and I have been using it really well. First on doing all those things I procrastinated on, and secondly on arts and sewing. That keeps me busy. What works or me, is education education education and repetition repetition repetition. I read all there is to read about nicotine addiction, and the way our minds were manipulated into the myth that we enjoy smoking, and that we need to smoke when we happy, sad, celebrating,  being depressed, after a meal, before a meal, with a drink, when we are stressed, when we are relaxed etc etc. All this connections were made in our brain between actions and smoking through propaganda, manipulation and addiction. we can untangle them. 

This helped me:

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html

In reply toRe: msg 4
Sue5833

Sep-22

I completely agree, knowledge is power.  Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Hello Sue,

Hang in there---it is a roller coaster ride but hang on for dear life!! The best advice I can share that might help U is:

1. Take it one day at a time---just DON'T smoke TODAY!! And do it again tomorrow and let those days add up. It can be overwhelming to think about fighting cravings for a year. Just get thru today without smoking. One step at a time for this journey.

2. Want to Quit MORE than U want to smoke. I wanted to NOT smoke more than I wanted to smoke. This was one of my mantras during my quit.

3. STOP junkie thoughts (Just one, nobody will know,etc.) quickly & decisively when they appear. DON'T let them hang around. Kick/Beat down Nicodemon to the ground as soon as he shows up!!!

4. Take the NOPE pledge on here DAILY. We need to verbally, mentally, psychologically commit to NOT smoking daily. 

5. Fight, stay committed, passionate, determined to NOT smoke again.

Remember to just NOT smoke TODAY...and U will get there. Good Luck and we rooting for U!!

Keep kicking Cig Butt!!!

Gloria

Nicotine & smoke-free since 30 Jul 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflowersunflowersunflower

overdoze

Sep-26

thanks for sharing your story, that must be very scary to have surgery for cancer. I have quit many many times, i think the beginning is hardest, but cravings would show up at the strangest times even being quit for over a year, and cause me to relapse. We really have to make a deep decision to stop. I hope you are having a good day.

CindiS319

Sep-28

All excellent points Gloria!  So glad to see you here still helping people!  Hugs!

In reply toRe: msg 4
Anne2020

Sep-28

This is so true.  As smokers we have created a way of being.  Now as non-smokers, we get to change how we are.  Change takes effort but, just like everything else we have learned in our lives, we can learn that we don't have to smoke every time there is a trigger (stress, anger, fear, joy, meals, alcohol, gatherings etc.). 

As non-smokers, we create new responses.  All that time spent loathing the smoker in you, you can now celebrate the non-smoker you and kick that old nicodemon to curb.  If we embrace this joy of new reactions and habits, we can actually enjoy the whole quit process.  It doesn't have to be a hardship, but rather a testament to your abilities to rewrite the new non-smoker you.  Hooray!!!

I was never happier with myself then when I realized I had quit smoking.  

xvaper

Sep-28

Your words really do encourage. It’s sometimes hard to celebrate the quit and all it’s obvious advantages. That I haven’t ‘given up’ anything. I was at a bar here in LA, and all these kids were smoking (cigarettes not vapour) in the back yard and even inside (what? !!!) , In NY that would be shut down in a New York minute.  Anyways, they were so young and looked so cool I instinctively thought (they certainly thought they were) and then I thought, they have a clue and that us really sad. I don’t understand how kids today are still duped into smoking cigarettes. I get the vape thing because of the onslaught of advertising, but I don’t get that 35 years after I started, they still start smoking.