About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

IMMOTIONAL AND CRYING   Quit Support

Started Oct-4 by Lee.T; 1218 views.
Lee.T

Oct-4

Hi it's my first day and i find myself very immotional and crying a lot and I dont know why.  I know I have made the right choice but am not sure why I'm feeling sooo immotional and cant hold back the tears.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Anne2020

Oct-4

You are releasing the emotions you bottled up when you smoked.  Your body is crying with happiness that you have allowed it to breath without cigarettes.  There are a number of reasons for the emotions, and all quite normal.  It is a sign you are healing physically and emotionally.  Let yourself cry.  It another step towards your smoke free lifestyle. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
oxanquits

Oct-4

Hi Lee, you are healing, it’s normal that it hurts.

Sadness is one of the ways your body and mind try to convince you bring nicotine back in. Let it pass, learn how to accept those emotions. It is the first lesson and you will be so proud of yourself once you’re over it. Surely, happier days are coming!

Lee.T

Oct-5

I broke down a few minutes ago and now feel worse than ever. Can I start again from where I left off or have I done damage now. I am just soooo frustrated.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Anne2020

Oct-5

You can decide to start where you left off.  Many here have stumbled and got right back on their quit.   Get back up, dust yourself off and keep moving forward.  You can do this.  One step at a time, one minute at a time.  

• Edited October 5, 2021 9:37 am  by  Anne2020
oxanquits

Oct-5

I smoked on my day 1 or 2 and that didn’t hurt if you decide to start over now.

Lubbercat

Oct-5

It is YOUR quit so, you need to do what works best for you!  If you feel better starting over, do it......if you feel better continuing the count from where you are at, that is also fine...........

This really does get better mostly after you pass the first week though.  

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-7

Hey Lee!

How are you doing?  You can do this!  I get it is hard, emotionally upheaving!  and a mix of everything.  My best advice, would be to understand...your heart has decided it is in break up mode with cigarettes...so you have a choice...you broke down and smoked...and felt bad...so as with a human breakup...there is that thought process and feeling process...which is okay...your relationship with cigarettes is abusive...it isnt your friend...it has convinced you that you need them...that you are powerless and nothing without them...you have to decide when enough is enough...and not allow it to hurt you or control you any more.

hugs

Diana

Lee.T

Oct-8

Hi Diana thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am also so please to confirm that I am on day 3 today without touching a smoke.  Am doing ok IP yo now besides the odd urges and the odd moments of my mind telling me I need that smoke. I am taking it as it comes but at the same time am praying that I will handle the more severe urges  when and if they do come. I probably shouldn't think like that and do try change my mind thought of what might be which I'm sure just puts extra pressure.  It's like I am then waiting for the urge to happen rather than just forgetting about it. Hope you doing ok. I would really appreciate words of encouragement from many on here going through our battles. Take care and enjoy your day?

In reply toRe: msg 9
Anne2020

Oct-8

Yeah - you got the first of the 'icky threes' - 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.  Be proud of yourself.  Really give yourself a large pat on the back.  The first three days are the toughest of all.  You can do this!  You can live without smoking! You don't need smokes to survive and or thrive!

WELL DONE!!!

• Edited October 8, 2021 10:59 am  by  Anne2020