About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

If you think quitting is painful   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Oct-6 by Planobilly; 663 views.
Planobilly

Oct-6

I quit a copule of years back. It was pretty hard for the first year. After that just just an ocasional irritation.

Ten days ago I  had sugery for throat cancer. As far as we know all the cancer was removed. This whole process was fifty times more painful than quitting. The need for radition will cause more pain and mucle damage. It's not over yet.

The sooner you quit the better the possibility this will not happen to you.

So....these are the realities and results of smoking. This place helped me a lot in the begining.

I know quitting is hard but it has to be done. There is no other option. Just quit right now while you still have the chance.

Lean on everyone you need to. There are kind and loving people here on this site more than willing to help.

Cheers,

Billy

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-7

Hey Billy!

Sorry to hear you are going through this! I really hope the surgeon was able to get all of it! Did they take your voice box...etc.  Hopefully you will journal this misadventure..because it is important..your story may just make someone quit and stay quit!

I was part of the 2018 crowd...and relapsed...disappointed...but have recently jumped back on the quit wagon!  

Wishing you a speedy recovery!  #Cancersucks

Diana

Planobilly

Oct-8

Actually I am OK. I discovered the cancer early. There was a tumor about 2.5X2.5X4 CM under the tonsel. In a position that a small piece of the base of thr tongue had to be removed, All lymph nodes on that side of the neck were remover.

They think they got everything cut out. We will have better information from the lab in a week or two.

The sugery has effected my vision and forming certain words. The recovery is quit painful. THe military training is useful to "suck it up and deal with it".

This is a price you will not want to pay. Stop smoking, today! It may seem like forever to get over smoking  but it will happen. I started to feel better at six months and was not really bothered by quitting at one year.

Take control of your own life and quit....now.

If I had contuned to smoke I most likely would not survived all this.

Best wishes to all of you.

Billy

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-8

Billy,

Am really glad they caught it early!  and hope your labs come back all clear!  I hit my 9 week mark yesterday...so am doing this...I quit because my mom died of emphysema at 67...I have emphysema...and i wasnt doing myself any favors...by smoking like a chimney...so the day before i turned 60...said enough was enough!  grin

My breathing has gotten much better...and am not constantly coughing...so that is a good sign! And I feel better, cause i am not being robbed of oxygen!

Diana

Planobilly

Oct-9

Glad to see you are on the track

keep up the good fight

My very best wishes for the future

Blly

xvaper

Oct-28

Thank you for sharing Billy. I wish you complete recovery.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Planobilly

Oct-28

Thank you for the kind words xvaper.

I am getting better every day. I still am not eating solid food. Choking down water and baby food. Still, I am lucky. Found this in time to keep from losing my life. All cancer is all removed based on the latest pathology report.

WELL...that is the bottom line folks, life or death. Stop smoking, exercise, lose some weight if you need to.

Choose life!

Billy

xvaper

Oct-28

Great news it was all removed, and yes you are right, eating well and exercising makes such a difference.  I switched to a healthy vegan diet a few years ago, and it helped a lot with my health, making me more resilient, I never get the flue anymore for example. However through all this I kept smoking. How sad is that? and that is addiction, pure and simple. I am 4 month nicotine clean tomorrow. Can't wait to celebrate a year.

In reply toRe: msg 8
Planobilly

Oct-28

It is really good that you understand this is an addiction. It makes it a little less problematic to deal with. This is purely a vicious action by corporations to make money.

Best wishes,

Billy

xvaper

Oct-28

Yes. I am done paying the tobacco executives to kill myself.