About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A message for the newbies: 12 Years Smoke-Free Today   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Oct-12 by Pacerina; 376 views.
Pacerina

Oct-12

Dear Forumily,

It has been quite sometime since I last posted, but I wanted to post to share that today it is my 12th year anniversary since I quit smoking. I am making this post in the hopes that these words might encourage and support those of you at the start of your journeys: from one ex-smoker to another, please know that it can be done and that you WILL be free from this addiction for the rest of your life. I know that this may seem like an impossible feat when your withdrawal symptoms are such that you are thinking of smoking all the time, when you are in the middle of Hell Week, when you don't trust yourself to stay smoke-free for good. I want you to know that all those feelings are temporary. I want you to know that I know exactly how you feel because I was exactly where you are right now 12 years ago. I want you to know that one day you will be surprised by how long it has been since you quit. That cigarettes will not ever cross your mind--not when you are stressed out, not when you are happy, not ever. That the fact that at one point in your life you were a smoker will be only a dim memory. That one day you will not recognize smoking as part of your life anymore. That you will reach a point in which smoking will be so foreign to you that you will find it almost surprising that at one point it was a daily habit. I also want you to know that failure is part of the process--I had tried six or seven times to quit smoking before I did so for good. What helped me to call it quits forever was this forum, this community, and the wonderful Terry Martin and her words of wisdom. Do not waste time beating yourself up if you falter: come back to this forum, always, to lift yourself up with the help of this community. Everyone here, including me, supports you, believes in you, and has your back. You are in the very best place anywhere to kick nicotine addiction for good.

I wish you strength, patience, and equanimity with the process. Here is to our lasting freedom from nicotine addiction.

Peace and love to you all,

Pacerina bee  

xvaper

Oct-13

Thank you for the encouragement Pacerina. I am 3.5 months along and still have some cravings but way less than before. I also have romanticizing thoughts here and there, but nowhere near what it was at the beginning and I am doing pretty well. I. have no problem being around smokers and not wanting one. One thing bothers me and that is the thought that if I am left alone with a pack that someone left or forgot, and no one is around, would  I smoke? I am. afraid I might. I have dreams in which I do. I may well encounter a situation like that when I will go to visit my family in a country where everyone smokes. I know many people over there who have stopped and they have zero interest in smoking again, but I can't say I am there yet. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Pacerina

Oct-13

Dear Xvaper,

Congratulations on 3.5 months! The worst is over and it will only get easier from now on. The thoughts and fears you describe are completely normal, and I can definitely relate. My advice to you would be to take it one day at a time and to not worry so much about what may happen in some hypothetical scenario. If the time comes when your quit might be at risk, I would advice you to take preemptive measures to look after it. I was once in the very situation you describe: early in my quit, I went to visit an old friend with whom smoking while spending time together was such a big part of our relationship. I was very nervous before my trip, and I remember posting on the forum those very fears and finding support. What kept me accountable was this community and reminding myself why I had quit--I made a list of reasons and, whenever I felt insecure, I would read it. And I did not end breaking my quit during that trip. So whatever your reasons are, keep them at the forefront of your mind and as Terry says, remember that quitting smoking is a process, not an event. Give yourself time--you've got this relaxed

I wish you the best of luck in your smoke-free journey!

Pacerina bee 

xvaper

Oct-13

Thank you pacerina, I  will take in your advice.