About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-13 by Marygold73; 694 views.
Marygold73

Oct-13

I'm new and I live in the US. I Quit smoking on the day of surgery- I had tumor on one of my lady parts and it was the size of a football.  Doc said it was cancer, but luckily it stayed in that area-it didn't spread any where else. Got my household plumbing taken out. Surgery was on September 27th. No chemo, I'm happy to say. Been smoke free 16 days- was a smoker for 28 years. I like the breathing better part, the best. Cravings (mornings) are the hardest. Using the patch and chewing gum- nic gum makes me sick. Starting to feel like my head is slowly appearing above water. Doing the one day at a time thing. Trying my best. Just wish that my father was alive to see this-he wanted me to quit when he was alive, but was too stubborn to do so.  My only regret is picking up the habit (I started in my first year of college.). Anyways I wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

AnnieXS

Oct-13

Hello and welcome to the forum!  

I'm sorry to hear what you've been through but happy to know it hadn't spread which seems amazing based on the size.

Yes, breathing better is absolutely one of the best parts amongst so many other things.  It takes time and can be quite the roller coaster for the first year, but your one-day-at-a-time attitude is what it takes to get through it.  In the beginning my quit buddies and I would say "let's just not smoke today".

You tugged at my heart strings when you spoke of your Dad.  I, too, quit after my Dad passed away.  He would beg me to quit.  I could see the pain and worry in his eyes.  I'm of the belief that they know, even if they're not physically present, so I'm certain he is quite proud of you. :)

You can do this!

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015    

Lubbercat

Oct-14

Welcome and congrats on 16 days, that is a fantastic start!  I also used the patches to quit, just don't be in too big of a hurry, follow the directions.......and follow how you feel.  Know that when you go to the lower mg patches, you might have a few extra cravings for a day or so.  Just be aware of that and you will do fine.  

Sorry to hear of all your medical issues and about your dad.  I am sure he would have been very proud of you.

You have passed 2 weeks and should really do something to celebrate that......or at least plan something to celebrate 3 weeks here soon!

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-27

How are you doing!  today should be your 30 day mark!  That is a big deal!  

Hugs

Diana

Marygold73

Oct-27

So far so good. Sucking on hard candy, eating peanut butter cup minis, chewing gum...But still miss smoking. 

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-28

understand!  I have a friend who has been quit for over 5 years now....and she says she misses it terribly...but doesnt like the damage...it was causing.  

I miss it at times...but for me...I was at a point...I wasnt enjoying it...at all...the momentary pleasure wasnt worth the 30 minute coughing spell and chest pain...i tend to view my relationship with smoking as a very abusive boyfriend...whilst i loved him...he played mind games, was constantly being manipulated, and was slowly killing me...and for me that helps when i get those really bad urges...because i dont want to go back...i may not survive...

Lubbercat

Oct-28

I know I still miss smoking, or more often I miss the one on one time with my spouse since he still smokes.  However, I also don't like the person that spent so much time sitting around smoking........I have very few "cravings" now at almost 3 months..........I like the way Diana compared the relationship to an abusive boyfriend cause that might be the most accurate description I have heard!

In reply toRe: msg 7
xvaper

Oct-28

I concur with what Dianna is saying, except I go further. I see a very old vicious man disguising as a lover, like in the fairy tails, and his purpose is to completely destroy and kill me, and get me to pay for it too. That old man is the Tobacco companies. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
Anne2020

Oct-29

Personally, I always envision the crack addict huddled in an alleyway smoking  in the cold winter, shivering and dirty, getting her fix.

Groping through the trash, fixated on the ground of for butts, hanging out around smoke areas to get butts of of the smoke stand/sand ashtrays, and willing to give up everything and anything for another fix.  A person willing to walk out on anyone at anytime (kids in the night) (dyeing friends and family) to get another fix or a refill of smokes from the all night gas station.  Even use up the last of their money to buy smokes rather than food.  Only to smile with yellow and black rotting teeth and the smell of old cigarette butts on your breath - and she is only 30 years old.

UGGGGGGLY.   

• Edited October 29, 2021 11:45 am  by  Anne2020
xvaper

Oct-29

Yes, pretty accurate.