About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quick reality check, please?   Quit Support

Started Jan-11 by feafee78; 1788 views.
feafee78

Jan-11

Hey there, (I hope I’m posting this in the right place)

I’ve got a 2 month quit going and most of the time I feel pretty good about it. The last couple weeks I find myself thinking more often that I could just buy one pack. Dangerous thinking that I usually dismiss quickly. It just seems harder this past week or so, so it seems like a good time to duck in here for a little pep talk. 
I’ve occasionally even had the thought of giving up forever and smoking the rest of my life. Ugh. I remember clearly that was not at all how I felt when I started to have shortness of breath after less than a month of smoking after a relapse. Not to mention the control aspect. Constantly thinking about when I’d get another one. All those not good things and some more. What are the benefits to smoking?? I calm that addictive voice in my head? Not really, it always wants more and it never goes away while being a smoker. I never found it to cause me to lose weight, that’s for sure, lol. 
Yet I still think of it as a reward. As a comfort. Something that would make me happy, but actually brings the opposite. 
Even with all that, I find myself considering buying some and hiding in my greenhouse tomorrow to smoke them. How messed up are our brains??

My body healing well has been the biggest thing that helps me not buy any. It’s what I think of when I consider popping into the gas station. My car was rear ended in early November, 8 days before my quit, and my rental car takes gas. I wonder if the insurance could cover pain and suffering for all the temptation gas stations have caused me, lol. My car was electric, so I’d only ever gone to the gas station to buy a pack.
Yes, they’ve been fixing my car for almost 2 1/2 months. It’s crazy. 

ok, this is a bit of a long request for some encouragement, but it’s 3:30 am here and I might’ve rambled a bit. That’s what I’m blaming it on, anyway.

Jenny

JavaNY

Jan-11

Hi, hope you were able to get back to sleep and have a peaceful rest.  

Yes, the wiring in our brains does not slip away easily. With nicotine being completely gone from our bodies in 3-4 days, I'd think it would be easier. Unfortunately, it is not.   

Sounds like you already know all the true answers. Just keep reminding yourself that there is no benefit to smoking and a slip will ALWAYS lead to regret. Have something to distract yourself, mentally, physically, or both. I realize at 3:30am that is harder to do. 

Paul

MarthaJC

Jan-11

Hope you've found a new frame of mind since you wrote! I'm 6 weeks into my quit -- long-time smoker -- and I feel despair if I think of how much I miss smoking and how it was a real stress reliever for me. I deal with it by reminding myself that is the powerful nicotine addiction talking -- I do NOT need cigarettes, cravings pass quickly, and my body feels better without the toxins I used to feed it. I'm glad you wrote -- I take strength from knowing that we can lean on each other for strength.  

feafee78

Jan-11

Thank you! I do feel better today. The bad moments come and go. I just seem to be increasing them and figured it’d be good to check in here. I very much appreciate the responses. Having people who understand to lean on makes a big difference. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
feafee78

Jan-11

Thanks, Paul! I’m better today. Thank you so much for your response. 3:30 am is a rough time to deal with thoughts, for sure. Ugh. 

Lubbercat

Jan-12

Jenny

I so understand where you are at, I am only now just past 5 months.  Most of the time I am thrilled with my progress and seldom consider going back because of my health.  However, there are times when I want to smoke worse then ever and it was a relaxing thing and it was also a time of connection for myself and my spouse going out to smoke...........

Celebrate where you are and just know that with each day, week, month, it really does become less often for the urges and easier to get past them!

feafee78

Jan-12

Thank you! 5 months is awesome!! I’d love to never ever be tempted again, lol. I wonder how many years that takes. 
It’s always nice to hear I’m not alone. I hope the crazy thoughts pass quickly for both of us. 

Lubbercat

Jan-13

FeaFee78

I can say when I had the quit for almost 3 years, I doubt I would have ever thought about smoking if I was not around it!  I live with a smoker so, they are right there in front of me every day.  I never wanted to smoke bad enough that I would have gotten in the car and driven to get them after those first 3 weeks!