About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 1again!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-5 by Devildog2147; 7019 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Devildog2147

May-27

Haven't been on since my first post. Didn't save the link and forgot which forum it was.  I'm blonde so it happens.  Lol.  Didn't make it through the first week and my smoking exploded to over a pack a day.  Trying to get it back under control but having a hard time of it.  I keep telling myself I'll start another quit tomorrow but the problem is tomorrow never comes.   It's always still a day away.  How do you guys deal with anxiety during g a quit?  I'm mildly agoraphobic and smoking has always been my way of relaxing around people.  But break is over and have to get back to work.  But will get on later to post more. 

Edit:  forgot to mention something and not proud of it but I also dip.  So it's not unusual for me to have a steady supply of nicotine in me.  Unfortunately that means I'm trying to quit 2 bad habits at the same time.

In reply toRe: msg 31
Devildog2147

May-27

You'll have to excuse my talking to my self but it seems to help to write it down.  I was thinking about what I said earlier that tomorrow never comes.  And it dawned on me that I'm running out of today's.   I need to stop putting it off.  Just not looking forward to feeling the way I did my last "real" quit attempt.   Went 2 months smoke free before I fell victim to the "it's just 1.  It won't set me back that far".  But I was just feeling so disconnected and the internal battle is just so draining I wanted to feel normal even if for a little bit.  That was a couple years ago and I regret my decision to light that 1.  I guess we learn from our mistakes and try not to repeat them.  So my smoke free future will start now.   Now that I have found this site again I will be looking up others victories with this fight and try to learn from them

MarthaJC

May-27

I know we are both grateful that this forum is here. Lots of non-judgmental people here who understand how hard this is .... I just want to tell you that you can do this. You can!  If I can -- and for me it's 6 months tomorrow (after smoking off and on since the early 1970's....) -- then hell yeah you can!  Just for today, that's it. Just don't smoke today.

Loreficent

May-27

Right. Reminds me of an old CCR song called “Someday Never Comes”. 
I remember being stuck in the “tomorrow “ track. It stinks. 
Have you made it one whole day yet? It’s pretty empowering really. Well, now that you’ve found your way back, pick a day. You will have a lot of support here! 
Just wondering since you dip and smoke if you’ve thought of the lozenges? Pros and Cons to using NRT for sure. Whatever sets you up best for success is all that matters! 

Devildog2147

May-27

I have tried lozenges,  patches, and the pills the doc prescribes.  I think cold turkey is probably my best bet.  

Martha I agree gotta take it one day at a time.  

JavaNY

May-28

Morning Devildog, 

Yeah, the just one is a guaranteed loser. Try to pick a date, not too far in the future. Memorial Day is as good as any. 

Best,

Paul

JavaNY

May-28

Glad you are feeling better Loreficent. 

Enjoy the weekend, all.

Loreficent

May-28

Thank you Java! 
Aren’t you in NYC same as X? Sure hope you guys have had a nicer Spring than we have here in Portland. I’ve been here 18 years and haven’t had such a grey, wet Spring. 
Good news is this year hasn’t been as much of a seasonal tug to smoke that I got last year. Hmmm. Maybe cause it doesn’t really feel like we’ve changed seasons yet! joyjoy

I like your picture of the Falls. We used to go there when I was a kid. All 10 of us piled into the station wagon for the drive, my dad driving, smoking his cigarette with the window cracked exactly 2 inches. Me in the way back with my brother, both of us throwing up from car sickness. Fun times!! But then we’d arrive and feel better soon as we got out of the car, and we’d be at the Falls. Always wanted to take the little boat that went down below. Maid of the Mist was it called? We never did, I think because it would have cost a lot for all of us. We always had so much fun on those trips! I’d like to go back someday and see how it’s changed. Well…maybe not. 
Seems I’m slowly learning that some things in life are better left to memories. Like smoking. We tend to forget the way it really made us feel and we hang onto these memories of pleasure. Easy to forget how it made us cough, tired, worried, ashamed, embarrassed, and really really stinky. 
Hmmm. Maybe I am having a seasonal tug and don’t realize it. I used to come on here and natter every morning while I had my coffee. It really helped keep my hands busy instead of smoking. Looks like I just did that again. joy

Anyway, thank you for the well wishes!!! Hope you stay well too! Stupid Covid. 
Hope the weekend is lovely for you!

JavaNY

May-29

Yes, Loreficent, I am in NYC like X. It's been a pretty cool and wet month here also. But it will be nice today and tomorrow. 

I have some family near Buffalo. We went up a few times when I was young. Haven't been there in a while. I think you are correct on the Maid of the Mist name. 

Be well and enjoy the weekend.

Anne2020

May-30

Hey there Devildoge 2147 - wow that's quite a name.  You gotta make the choice in your mind that you don't want to smoke.  You don't like smoking.  You want to pull out of this addiction and live a non-smoker's lifestyle.  You gotta make a non-smoker lifestyle your all time dream come true.  Wish for it with all your heart and soul.  Then, you can work on reaching that goal. Remember, you are fighting with yourself.  YOu decide if smoking is ok.  You give yourself permission to smoke or not to smoke.  Isn't it time you were real with yourself and acknowledge that you do not want to smoke anymore.

As long as you think you wanna smoke, you are creating difficulties for yourself, with yourself.  Once you get past the first three (3) days, all of the nicotine is gone from your system.  From that point on, it is your choice.  Don't give yourself permission to backtrack into that dark tar existence. 

I quit cold turkey (2+ year ago) and I can tell you, it is allot easier once you have yourself on your side.  Agree with yourself that you hate smoking and you will no longer give yourself permission to light up those STUPID CANCER STICKS. 

Come out into the light.  Breath deeply and smile knowing you have chosen to be good to yourself.  Find other things to do, to drink, to eat.  

Read the posts on this forum where you will find many, many others going through or having gone through what you are.  Comradery is very uplifting.  Read and post often.  I have read and posted on this site the whole 2+ years because it reaffirms my decision and my accomplishment of finally quitting smoking.

You can do this, because you want to do this.