About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

For those who are struggling    Quit Support

Started Jun-28 by strong1977; 1472 views.
tonypfan

Jul-24

Liz:  Thank you for your post.  How awesome that you have remained free all these years.  I take inspiration that such an accomplishment for even the most inveterate of smokers.  Thanks for sharing.  Anthony

strong1977

Jul-25

Hi Anthony, 

your very welcome, it feels great to be smoke free for so long, I think what i love the most is that I am now in control instead of the cigarettes being in control of me. It's all about taking back that control :) we are all in this together, so keep in mind that you got this! and remember to always post especially during those difficult days because there is always someone on here who will reach out and talk to you, or if need be  you can always message me and i can do my best to get you thru those hard days either way.

Wishing you all the best 

Liz, smoke free for the last ten years

tonypfan

Jul-25

Liz:  I take to heart your sentence about taking your control back.  How true.  When I’m in the smoking saddle, why I have reins around my neck and I’m “forced” to give up my will.  I become the slave and the cigarette the master.  What’s wrong with this picture?  I do feel in control now.  And, yes, I will reach out to this forum. I need the help and inspiration of former smokers. Thank you for your response.  Tony

strong1977

Jul-26

I have always lived by that motto because cigarettes for me use to be you can not leave the house without grabbing a pack of smokes first, so yeah i found it had control over me until i took that control back, so this is kind of words to live by for me and it's keeping me without smoking 

Liz,

ten years smoke free 

In reply toRe: msg 9
tonypfan

Jul-26

Dear Support Community:  I’m into my second week of Quit.  I understand that if I have a huge trigger craving, one that needs immediate attention, (remember those?) there is a specific protocol to use on this Website.  And if it is used, someone will get in touch with me ASAP.  Can anyone please tell me what protocol is required for a rapid response?  In advance I thank you for your help here.  

SusanK1960

Jul-26

The protocol is you post the you need help, and you have to wait until you get 3 responses before giving in to your craving.  

Rassister

Aug-13

Hi Michele,

CONGRATULATIONS on year 3!   Your username must be from your very early minutes, hours and days.  I am not computer savvy and I guess I am wondering if you have problems navigating the computer.  I wanted to stop in and say hello and introduce myself.  I am trying to become more helpful and supportive of others who are going through this difficult journey.  I am in the March Warrior 2018 group and will reach 4 1/2 years smoke free on the 28th of August.  I hope that you are enjoying your summer and the freedom of not being hooked to the nicotine.  It is quite a gift to be free!!!!  I will keep an eye for you as I pledge to myself to come back on the forum and support others.  

Take care,

Marilyn 

Thank you Liz for checking in.  I'm just a bit over 4 years and appreciate my quit and this forum every day.  I will be all the more happy at 10 years!  

Marjorie1244

Sep-6

Hi tonypfan, just remember , when you get that strong urge and how miserable you feel not having a cigarette,  just rambert how miserable you will feel if you give in , it is better to be miserable for a short time or even a full day , rather than being miserable every day back as a smoker . These strong urges will decrease , its not a physical urge as your nicotine free now , its an emotional urge , your brain reminding you how you enjoyed and miss that smoke , those little receptors nagging again , ignore them but do remember pending on your mood this also can cause triggers , so if sad think of something nice , if bored try do something you enjoy doing . Keep up the good work , each day you keep in  control , tell yourself you can have a smoke but you won't smoke today , day at a time and it will get easier and easier marjorie1244 

tonypfan

Sep-6

Thank you, Marjorie, for reminding me how to handle cravings.  Everything you write is true.  Especially the reminder of how awful I will feel if I give in.  So I refuse to give in.  Fortunately, my cravings have dissipated.  They are becoming few and far between.  I give thanks for this.  I never thought it could happen.  But I am becoming free and staying free.  Anthony