About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Broke NOPE   General Chit-Chat

Started Oct-23 by freetobeunme; 457 views.
freetobeunme

Oct-23

Hey all!

I quit Sept. 2nd this year, AGAIN, but this time I really felt like I was finally COMPLETELY done, forever....Yayyyy!! I didn't miss it one bit, even when having wine with friends, which had always been my weakness and I couldn't ever stay smoke free. So, normally, I would quit and not socialize for at least a month so as to solidify my quit. But, then I"d get really depressed from the isolation and break down and go out. Unfortunately, all my friends like to socialize over drinks and dinner so refraining  temporarily seemed to be the only option, albeit lonely. Happily, this time, I don't need to stay away from socializing and each time I have I NEVER feel like I am missing a cigarette. This is a HUGE accomplishment and feels like a dream come true after so long! 

HERE'S MY ISSUE/QUESTION: I had some devastating news Oct. 19th and I wanted to escape to what used to be my happy place (having a cigarette and a glass of wine while talking to a friend over the phone). I had an old cigarette so I lit up. Afterwards, I realized how absolutely idiotic it was and also how it never helped, but actually worsens things. More than ever, I recommitted to my quit and unleashed my healthy arsenal of solutions for handling the upsetting situation. The next day, I turned the issues around and everything got solved quite nicely. I LOVE BEING SMOKE-FREE. I really do. I actually love the idea of facing ALL of life's challenges smoke free. Something empowering about doing facing life head on and not hiding out. I feel I have finally overcome the pshycologixally aspects of addiction, wven though I 

The only thing is, after just that one cigarette, my throat still feels "sensitive" after 4 days. My sinus' feel a bit not right. My ears, nose and throat are "OFF" altogether. Does anyone know why and when it may improve? Didn't expect this reaction after one cigarette. It's frightening me! I never did get smoker's flu after quitting, but I did have a "sensitive" (not sore) nose, ear, throat was "off". But, no other symptoms like coughing  phylum, etc.  

Another question: Anyone have any experience with how long it takes for one's singing voice to return/heal?

I was a 30 year smoker (with a year or two here and there as a non-smoker) at 5-7 cigs a day. 

Jerthie123

Oct-24

Good for you for getting right back on track. I do not have any answers to your questions, but just wanted to let you know that you recovered very well and are back on track!

freetobeunme

Oct-24

Thank you! I appreciate the support! blush

MarthaJC

Oct-24

Hi - first of all congrats on your major accomplishment! Have to say I am impressed that you kept your habit to 5-7 cigs a day -- wish I could say the same. I'm coming up on one year smoke free (Nov 28) and I am one of those people who says "if I can do it anyone can do it." It's great that you love being smoke free!   Took me awhile....  So, I don't have specific experience or answers to your questions, but I do recommend that you go to a doctor. You could have allergies, you could just have a super sensitive throat, whatever it is, I hope you see a doc so you can not worry about it and keep focusing on how great it is to be free from the addiction! I have learned from some friends who go to AA that I only have to refrain from smoking today. That's what I do, along with checking in with this forum regularly. Lots of wisdom, support, and great advice here. I wish you the best!

freetobeunme

Nov-4

Thank you so much! Your message makes a big difference for me wink My throat calmed down and feels completely normal now. At the moment, I am wondering when or if I'll get my singing voice back. Seems hitting those higher notes is just simply not possible. It's just not there. Can altered voices become restored again I wonder. 

Taking it one day at a time is a great strategy. Make and keep a daily commitment and we all remain smoke free. My mother was a smoker 10 a day, for 45-50 years and now she can't imagine ever smoking again after being smoke and vape free for a year now. 

Stay in touch and keep well! I'm here for support for you too! 

MarthaJC

Nov-4

Why thanks! So great to know that we are all here for each other!! As far as your voice goes - specifically those high notes - I have no specific knowledge, but I heard an interview with Billy Joel who said as he got older he couldn't hit the higher notes anymore.  So maybe for you it's partly just nature taking its course. But I think you'll get most of it back as you continue to heal from smoking! Woot!!

best,

Martha

Jerthie123

Nov-4

It feels so good to have the support!!

freetobeunme

Nov-7

Thanks for your words of encouragement....it truly means a lot to me! I hope you know what a difference you make. :D 

Yes, I am continuing to take care of myself, however, I played a song that I recorded to a friend of mine today and was saddened about how I cannot sing that song anymore the way I had. I had a renewed appreciation for how beautiful and rich  my voice was. I am still hopeful though! I am thinking of taking vocal warm up classes and maybe that will help strengthen my voice again. I know A LOT of singers no longer sing as high as they did before and although this is common as we age I am not sure if that is all there is to it. Other than that, I feel great and exercising for an hour a day vigorously is like taking a nap for me, it's that effortless!! Lol!! That's a blessing!! 

MarthaJC

Nov-7

That is definitely a blessing! Love the idea of voice lessons - fingers crossed for you!!