About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Finding support here   General Chit-Chat

Started Nov-16 by Jerthie123; 187 views.
Jerthie123

Nov-16

Hello all. I wanted to say thank you to everyone for their support and encouragement on my reducing to quit nicotine journey. I am not, as you all probably know, not 100% quit yet, but today I have had only 4. The old me would have had 9 or 10 by now. So I am feeling proud of myself! What helps me a lot is hopping on this forum... To vent, to connect, to read others' posts. It is of great comfort to me! I am motivated to stay on 5-6 lozenges for a while longer until I am good and ready to reduce to 4 a day. Like I have said earlier, I don't know if I will ever be truly and completely quit like most folks are, but I just feel good about myself for no longer using 12 a day and for not feeling so anxious and desperate about my addiction and everything going on in my personal life. I am reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. But this last chapter I read stressed me out. He said that cutting down is a terrible way to quit smoking. I put the book down after reading that and went for a long walk. I got the important things on my list done. I find I only use lozenges now when I am desperate. I do not have the mindless in between ones. This gives me comfort! Tomorrow I see a psychologist about my unhealthy relationship patterns. I am looking forward to it, but I am also a bit nervous about what I might discover about myself. The past four months of my life have been a struggle and journey for sure! But again, my main reason for starting this post was to thank all of you again for your continued support and encouragement. Without you all, I think I would still be using 12-13 lozenges a day, feeling hopeless and anxious. For anyone new to the forum and wanting to quit smoking, post here often, and know you are not alone!

June2019

Nov-16

Keep at it, Jerthie. This is not easy but so worth it to know you are no longer under the control of needing a fix. <<<<that day WILL come. each time i quit it was cold turkey  - the last time in disgust at being out of breath and outpaced by older heavier women while out walking. 

I've been nicotine free since June2019. regret to say that i came online today because this afternoon I had a craving for a puff. Not sure what brought it on, but I WON'T give in.

Reading your posts has reminded be to find my straws and toothpicks to get thru this for now. You CAN stop, dear one - this place is great for support.

Stay strong-

Jerthie123

Nov-16

Thank you! Thank you again, and thank you! I really do feel that I can quit, but at this point, I am still preparing for the real deal. The final real deal quit. I have had only 4 lozenges today and yesterday. I feel good. Thanks again! So great that you did not give in to your craving. So happy for you! Will write more another time. Am at this moment just finishing Allen Carr's book, Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Feeling good!

June2019

Nov-17

good for you - Alan Carr has many good points to focus on!

One of my mind games to get through 1st few weeks was: imagine you no longer have access to cigarettes or nicotine replacement products - they are no longer an option. so you need to do something else to get thru the crave (jumping jacks, twist in place, go out for a quick walk, etc)

Msg 7185.5 deleted