About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome April 2018 Ex-Smokers!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Mar-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 4254 views.
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

~*^*~

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - putting that last cigarette out and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit and you're experiencing a mixture of sadness, loss, anger and fear, wondering how on earth you're going to make it through the next few hours, let alone the next few days, smoke-free.

Relax.

You have found the best quit aid on the planet - this forum community.

The folks here know what you're going through because we've all been through it ourselves. We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, so park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board, and elsewhere on the site and internet.

Below are a few articles to get you started:

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
BlueDahlia29

Apr-3

Hi Terry.  Wanting to give quitting another go. I am scared what lies ahead as my colitis acts up every time I quit and atm it's under control. Plan to use diet and medication to keep the colitis in check and pray this works.  Besides that I'm tired of getting out of breath so easily and even having a difficult time catching my breath. My birth mother has copd and just came back from visiting her and I see the struggle she has with breathing and I don't want to get to that point. I'm very wobbly at the moment and don't have much confidence in myself but I can't remain a smoker I have to stop I want to enjoy life to the fullest and can't do that when I smoke. Here's to day 1.

Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Hi Blue,

Good for you for getting back on the wagon.  Most of us have to try multiple times before we find the quit that sticks.  The worst thing relapse does is teach us (falsely) that we can't do it.  Don't believe it.  You can quit.  It takes work, especially early on, but you do have what it takes to succeed.

Are you using a quit aid?  Can you pinpoint what has caused your return to smoking in the past?  Maybe we can come up with a plan to get you over some of the tough spots.

Regarding the colitis, early cessation can definitely affect your intestines.  I would suggest being very conscientious about diet for the first several weeks.  Your body's chemistry will even out in time, but if you have a known problem, a little extra attention in that area could make a big difference.  Have you talked with your doctor about it?

Here's to a new start!  Jump in like it's the first time you've quit - wipe the past away once you've looked at what didn't work so you can apply that knowledge to this quit.

Best, T.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Welcome new ex-smokers!

Stubbing out that last butt and getting started is one of the hardest parts of cessation, so congratulations on taking that first HUGE step.

Linked below are some articles that will give you an idea of what to expect as you move through the first couple of weeks.  When it comes to quitting tobacco, knowledge is key.  It puts you in the driver's seat rather than leaving you a helpless passenger in an out of control car with no seat belt on!

Focus on today only!  Don't worry about never smoking again or even tomorrow.  Just today.

You can do this!

(((((April Ex-Smokers)))))

BlueDahlia29

Apr-3

I did talk to my doctor about it he had suggested using the E cig he really didn't help when I asked him about diet though but I belong to an ulcerative colitis support group and I've learned a lot there as well as trial and error on my own.  One of the biggest reasons I go back is the colitis and also just being consumed with thoughts about smoking as well as boredom. I'm using the lozenges to help with this quit, it's going well so far today a little tired but ok.  Thanks so much for getting back to me, I'm not happy with what smoking is doing to me and so tired of quitting and starting again.

SueP (josep2001)

Apr-3

Hi Blue,

Good to see you back for another try of keeping your UC under control and quitting smoking at the same time.

Hope the lozenges help with the quit and the UC. Does cannibus help with UC? Know lots of places have the medicinal form available, that if you can get it give it a try - it does not get you high etc, like smoking pot.

Hope you have a good smoke free night....sue quit 3/17/2016

No2Nicotine

Apr-3

On my 3rd day of no nicotine, wont lie. Its a bitch. I continue to remind myself I have the power within me to say no more - nicotine is the worst drug ever! It makes me smell, smells up my clothes, my car, you name it - get the piece of gum in your mouth, wash hands/put lotion on, mist spray the cover up the smell before you go back inside a party. Thinking you wont smell that bad - the party goers were so kind not to mention a word how stinky you smell.  Anyway, nerves are being shot. Im typing here to keep my hands busy and to be distracted from the ongoing craving. Intense. The essential oils seem to help. Orange and black pepper oil on cotton ball for the whiff whenever Im on a craving episode. 

Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Hi Blue,

The problem with the e-cig is that it's not regulated, has no approved course of therapy and does contain other toxins besides nicotine.  It's a better choice than cigarettes, but is really a smoking alternative, not a quit aid.  NRTs would be the option I'd choose.  Specifically, the patch, because you put it on once a day and that's that.  No need to keep track of how many doses you've taken and no worries about overdoing it.  If you're happy with the lozenge, great - just my thoughts on the topic. :-)

Constipation is a common complaint during early cessation,  so if you have a handle on the foods that work for you, I would be vigilant about diet for the first month especially and make sure you get some exercise every day, too.  Walks are great - they clear your head when you're craving and help keep you balanced physically, too. 

I'm sorry you have this hurdle to deal with, but don't be discouraged. 

As for the thoughts of smoking, that's just part of the process.  Throw up a mental block and put that junkie mind on ignore!  I spent the first three weeks of my quit in a constant inner battle.  I'll buy smokes on the way home from work, on the way to work, etc, etc, etc.  Non-stop and exhausting, but after a few weeks of refusing, the voice started to weaken and in time, it just stopped. 

Make a short list of activities you can pick up at a moment's notice to kick a craving out of your head - things like a 5 minute walk or drinking a glass of water work surprisingly well.  The trick is to be proactive and jolt yourself out of a negative mindset before it can fester.

Cessation is doable for you, Blue - and worth the work it takes to achieve.

Hugs, T.

Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Welcome to the forum, No2Nicotine.

Congrats on 3 DAYS!  That's a huge accomplishment - every day is early on. 

Settle in and read the posts here top to bottom.  It's amazing how much it helps to connect with others who are recovering from this addiction.  

You'll feel better sooner than you think, so stick with it. You have lots of positive changes to look forward to.

Best, T.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Good morning April Ex-Smokers!

This forum has helped literally thousands of people quit smoking for good over the years.  The reason it works so well is that we're all pulling on the oars together here, sharing what works and lending an ear when it's needed.  Think of the pages of this board as a tutorial on how to beat this addiction back, once and for all. 

The story I'm about to share comes from Lesly, a former member (and moderator) who has about 15 smoke-free years under her belt now. She wrote this on her 2 year smoke-free anniversary.

Have a great, smoke-free day all.  

(((April Group)))

From Lesly:

Two years ago, I was a smoker. My cigarettes were my best friend and most constant companion. I could not walk from one room to the next without my cigarette pack and lighter firmly gripped in my hand. I could not sleep through the night without getting up and spending time with my "best buddy".

The whole world was my ashtray.

No place was sacrosanct - not the car, not the family room, not my children's bedrooms.

There was no "No Smoking" sign that could daunt me - I'd been known to lean against them to cover them up while I smoked. If you had asked me, I would have told you I was a considerate smoker. That's what all smokers think. The truth is there is no such thing as a considerate smoker, just like there is no such thing as a considerate Russian roulette player. Eventually, you are going to make a mess that someone else has to clean up.

I like to say that SOMEHOW, all the stars and planets aligned themselves perfectly with my decision to try, try again to kick the butts out of my life. Of course, that is not completely true. I had done extensive reading, and had found this forum where I lurked day after day, watching as people actually QUIT SMOKING! People who sounded amazingly similar to ME!

In the beginning, it was very rough.

I struggled, and I had constant visitors. Their names were anger, self doubt, anxiety and depression. I couldn't seem to keep them out of my space, and they hammered me relentlessly about the AUDACITY I had to think I could desert my "best friend". 

I kept my eye on the prize and tried to ignore their nattering.

I got sick of the visitors and decided I needed reinforcements to boot them out of my life. So, I invited in Determination to be my body guard. Next, I welcomed in Gratitude as my new best friend. These friends served me well; they were great positives to replace that negative chatter. The unwanted guests still tried to hang around, still tried to sneak their way in, but they got weaker and weaker as the walls of my smoke free world got thicker, the locks got stronger, and my friends and I marched on. Gradually, the chains of addiction loosened - almost so gradually, I didn't really notice.

I can remember telling a new ex-smoker the other day about my car stalling out in a parking lot on a frigid, below zero day with strong, gusty winds. The towing place I called promised to have a tru
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message