About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome August 2018 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-30 by ModDee; 11256 views.
ModDee

Jul-30

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - putting the last cigarette out and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit, and are wondering how on earth you're going to make it through the next few hours, let alone the next few days, smoke-free.

Take a few deep breaths and relax...

You have found the best quit aid on the planet - this forum community. The folks here know what you're going through because we've all been through it ourselves. We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, so park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board and elsewhere about what to expect from smoking cessation.

Below are a few articles to get you started:

Quit Buddy Groups
The people we move through cessation with - our quit buddies - are special. This thread is a pla
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 1
ModDee

Aug-2

Hello August 2018 Ex Smokers.

Addiction Steals Our Right to Choose

None of us started smoking thinking we'd lose our right to choose, but that's exactly what nicotine addiction does to us. The associations we build up over time slowly weave their way through every activity in our lives until we can't think of doing anything without our cigarettes. This habit is insidious and tenacious, and millions of lives are lost every year worldwide to it.

The effects of nicotine on the human body create dependency through chemical reactions in the brain.

• Edited August 2, 2018 2:42 pm  by  ModDee
13mimi13

Aug-2

Hi ModDee,

i quit on June 30th.  How should I proceed?

TYIA

13mimi13

Hope197048

Aug-3

Hi! It's very nice to meet you! I stopped smoking, don't laugh, approximately 1hour ago. Although, in my mind I've earned to for years now. I'm doing it cold Turkey. I know I can do this. I just need support and kind words every now and again. 

ModSue (VentasSue)

Aug-3

Hey Mimi

First of all, a very big welcome to the Forum.  Secondly, congratulations on quitting smoking.  You really are through the worse part now but I feel sure that you will find the information and support here a vital part of your continuation on this wonderful journey.

As you quit in June, why don't you make your way over to the June Fume Busters 2018 group.  Here's the link:

Do try to read through the posts and articles there from the beginning.  You will find so much useful information and so many tips on making your quit stick.  You will also meet and get to know other people who have also quit in June.

You really are doing the best thing you possibly can for yourself.  It's not easy at the start but I promise you that it is so very worthwhile.  

Looking forward to seeing around the Forum.

ModSue (VentasSue)

Aug-3

Hey Hope

As Dee is probably not on your timeline, she may not see your post for a little while, so I thought I'd just welcome you to the Forum.  

Congratulations on, what must now be, four or five hours of quitting smoking.  This is a huge achievement and it is certainly the best decision you have ever made for your health and self-esteem.

You have definitely come to the right place to find all the information and support you need to make quitting possible and to help you through each stage of your quit.  I would suggest that you read all the articles linked in Dee's first two posts above.  Also, use this Forum for the vital support you will need during the quitting process.  When I first quit, I was told to read everything I could about this addiction and post here until my fingers hurt.  I took that advice and it paid off - I'm still a non-smoker.  It isn't easy in the beginning but it does get better and better the more you progress.

So, relax and read.  See you around.

Neats (1146)

Aug-3

Hi Hope, 

Congratulations on taking that leap to quit. You most certainly can do this if you stick close to the forum and just take baby steps to get through this hour by hour. ModSue has suggested you read the articles provide by ModDee above which is a get start. Do keep posting for support everyone here understands and will not be judgemental of what your going through. The forum works by us suppporting one another so keep reading and posting. 

I quit cold turkey two and a half years ago with the help of this forum. The first few days was extremely tiring and I slept for ages.  My best tool was ice cold water which I sip to ease the craves (water will also help flush the toxins out off the body quicker).  I done deep breathing and I also blew out through my mouth the craves. They do pass fairly quick. Distract yourself with whatever it takes just do not smoke.

You can do this. 

ModDee

Aug-3

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.  I am so glad that you found us.  Congratulations on making one of the best possible decisions you could have made, taking your life back from this addiction of ours.  You've received some excellent advice and support from forum buddies Mod Sue and Anita.  So make yourself comfortable and jump right in. 

Please feel free to ask questions.

Best wishes as you continue your smoke free journey.

(((Hugs)))

• Edited August 3, 2018 10:09 am  by  ModDee
ModDee

Aug-3

Welcome to the forum Hope.

Congratulations on making this awesome decision.  You can do this.  I also quit cold turkey after 32 years of close to two packs a day.   It's not for everyone but it worked great for me.  You have reached the best possible place on this planet (in my humble opinion) for the kind of non judgmental support and caring that you will need to succeed. 

When it comes to overcoming the addiction to nicotine, education is key. The more you understand about how smoking affects you and what to expect as you wean yourself away from it, the better prepared you'll be for success.   The more we understand about what recovery from nicotine addiction is like, the better able we are to manage it.   Keep your mind on today only.  You can do this one day at a time.

(((Hugs)))

BMann (bmann018)

Aug-3

Congratulations Hope. If you were like me you quit without planning, just kind of did it. You made a great choice connecting to this forum. Don't settle for "kind words every now and again." Post here often and receive kind words and support often - as much as you need us during these difficult first few weeks.

You are not alone in quitting and we have all gone through the pain of quitting. You can do it as well, just read as much as you can here on the addiction, gather all your distraction tools and above all create a mindset that you never have to smoke again. You only have to do so one day at a time. Just do not smoke today and we will let tomorrow take care of itself.

Good luck and post, post, post. It got me through many bad times. It does get better and we are all pulling for you. You can do it!!