About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My new journey with the big C   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 11/11/16 by Rich (lexx0); 196955 views.
ModAndrea

11/15/16

I was so sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. Thank you for sharing this new journal so we know how you're doing on this new part of your journey. I've always enjoyed reading your posts with your special brand of warmth and wit. I plan on continuing to read them for a very long time.

Wishing you the best. heart

Hugs,

Andrea

Douglas8845

11/15/16

Hey Rich,

Love your thread.  it should be made recommended reading to anyone who joins this forum.  The no nonsense clarity in which you describe your journey, from  smoker to non-smoker to Stage 3 lung cancer after a five year quit is sobering.  As we discussed the other day, after so many years of indulging we can't seriously expect to get away scot-free, it's just not a realistic expectation.

I believe that even if we eventually suffer dire consequences from smoking, the quit is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves.  I treasure mine and protect it like the incredible asset that it is.

Tomorrow I may be you and will try to be as relevant as you are being now.  From the bottom of my heart I thank you my friend.

Rich (lexx0)

11/15/16

Well only reason I toughed it out is I've had stomach virus's before, and from a clinic, they take 3 days to incubate and none of my vitals were craxy, 99core wasn't enough, and I'd just had to pay 250$ to wait for the day shift to come in, I sent an email to my primary but he's lucky to respond by 2 days, busy.... After getting 12hrs sleep I'm almost back to normal and I quit taking the oxy's, they were small and I didn't see the benefit over the complications.  Normally I eat Excedrin but I can't take those for a long time cause they cause bleeding and with a few biopies in my lung, no aspirin. I'm ok, and I'll see what the docs say later this week, I'm sure the oncologist will have alot of suggestions.  Thanks!

Rich

Rich (lexx0)

11/15/16

Thanks Andrea, this will definitely be my longest milestone every.  Everyone tells me I have a 'style' of writing, I'm just being myself.  I tease the wife constantly and my kids, but thanks for the compliment. I'm just feeling good enough without a fever to type again, Thurs I'll probably have more to add once I see the main guy for C, the oncologist.  I was readying my patient portal that mentioned that my gurd may of caused or contributed to this mass.  There are so many factors to lung cancer and so few to nail it to.  As I learn I'll pass it back to here.  My dear friend Anna was in yesterday for a mass on the top of her lung, they removed it, she said it was cancer, I'm sure she'll have to take the same chemo ;(  Yes definitely stay tuned. ;D

Rich

Rich (lexx0)

11/15/16

Hey Doug as we've discussed, it a shock to the system. I had believed that once you quit all the damage you did smoking reversed itself, well not all of that is true, the silicia at the top of your lungs where the smoke stays the longest gets destroyed first.  I'll do more research but damn I thought those cleaned and repaired themselves.  It is true that the tar you slowly cough out and absorb, but I was in shock, and the surgeon was really mifffed that I didn't bring the wife with me.  Oh well, she is in it for the full ride, I offered her a get out of jail card and she refused to take it ;p  I was reading the other cancer stage 4 thread here and I had a panic attack just reading it, I had to disconnect and get offline.  As I progress down this new road I'll read more of what he has to say in the coming weeks.  I hope no one else here gets this, but if so, I hope you can catch it stage 1 or 2.  Yesterday when I had a stomach virus I thought I was having trouble with the kemo port, it feels like a pacemaker under the skin, no port to it, they just run a needle into it every trip to the chemo.  Smart.  Now I think I'll going to go try solid food for a chance. I loaded up with a beef roast Sun nite and woke up to the worst cramps imaginable Mon morning, day and night!  Cheers mate, thanks for stopping by.

Rich

Msg 1956.32 deleted
Rich (lexx0)

11/16/16

heheh, funny picture ;D  I'm doing great today, back to my pre cancer cough.  Funny how it went from once in the morning to several times an hour.  Just have to wait for chemo to shrink these buggers. From the test results on my chart it looks like I have 3 major and 3 minor ones now, I really can't wait to get the kemo underway and start killing these suckers.  I wonder if it will fix or aggravate my original skin rash that was the reason for finding this?  Nah, I don't have that kind of luck ;p Thanks sweetie.

Rich

Rich (lexx0)

11/16/16

Dee, is this how you picture my mother looking at me?  I'm having the dangest time putting pics on this new forum, I copied the image from facebook and pasted it here, nothing from photobucked worked.  I think I walked off our 3mile hill that day and was at my aunts dirty house and she had to pick me up after work ;p

ModDee

11/16/16

Rich (lexx0) said:

Dee, is this how you picture my mother looking at me?

Absolutely on target LOL.

(((Hugs)))

p.s. It's real easy  if you are using a laptop or pc you can insert photos directly from your computer by placing your cursor in the post  where you want the photo to go

1. Click on the "Insert a image or photo" icon (Checkout screen shot below)

2. Click on "From my computer"

3. Find your photo

4. Click "Open"

If you uploaded a large image, it will be resized automatically.* You may see the image go from large to small as it uploads and is processed. This image of me took up almost the entire screen and the system resized it and I made it even smaller by clicking on the photo resize corner arrow.

Dee at 26

Rich (lexx0)

11/16/16

Thanks sweetie, my, my, my, you are stunning in that picture.  Ok let me try this then, peeps wanted to see my puppy and chico:

Wow, that was too easy, I have not spent enough time here.  Dee I love you, hope my mothers' glare made your day. Hehe, you had me pegged from day one. There is an ornery streak that runs through me that must come out in text, your are who you are  :D