About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gaylene's Cancer Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 8/30/15 by ModMic (MICHELL15437); 1249 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

May 16, 2007 6:25 am
May 7, 2007:  9:15 am... Today is the start of my second round of chemotherapy. Someone 
might have to drag me in there. The fact that I ended up in the hospital 
not being able to breathe during my last session has me on pins and 
needles. I'm scared something like that might happen again. (please God, 
watch over me and help me get through this)

4:20 pm...  Whew! I made it okay. The treatment went well. The day was 
long. It started with radiation, then appointments with 3 different 
doctors, lab work, and then on to chemo. I'm feeling good. Terribly 
tired, but good otherwise. (thank you God, and thank you all the 
precious people who are sending prayers and positive vibes)

May 8, 2007:  Okay, today wasn't quite as easy as yesterday was. But not 
too bad either. My veins are starting to be affected. They are shrinking 
and becoming tough so the nurse had trouble getting the IV in. She had 
to wrap my arm in a heat pad to make my veins cooperate. They only gave 
me one kind of chemo meds today. The first day of each session I have 
two. Each for a different kind of cancer cell. Just to cover all bases. 
There are two kinds of lung cancer. Small cell and non small cell. 

May 9, 2007:  Just when I thought I was going to breeze through these 3 
days of treatment..Ouch! First we had to go through the vein thing 
again. Yesterday the nurse asked me if I'd like to leave the port in my 
arm. Since I detest those things I chose not to. Well.....maybe next 
time! I now have 7 holes in my arms. And feel flu-ish. Really woozy, 
heartburn and upset stomach. Everything I eat tastes like it's spoiled 
or at least very old. Except hot fudge sundaes! LOL  Doc says, "Eat. No 
matter what it is. If you can eat it. Do. You need the calories." So I 
guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet. LOLOL After treatment they 
gave me a shot to help build my white blood cells. That sometimes causes 
head and body aches, as it penetrates into the bone marrow. OF COURSE. 
Me not wanting to miss anything free....I had to have those too!

May11, 2007:  Still feeling those flu like symptoms. My mouth has a bad 
taste.
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 2
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

July 2, 2007

It's been awhile since I've written. Although I've been feeling well, my live has been hectic. The highlight being the trip to Maine to meet my fellow forum moderators. This was a trip that will always stay with me. After first going through the quit smoking process, then working as a mod with these wonderful women, I finally got to meet them in person. Each one is exactly as I imagined. Everyday people with lots of wit, charm and compassion.

No sooner had my plane landed me back home than it was time to move my parents from the nursing home and Dad's apartment to another home in another town 400 miles away. This was to have them closer to more family. I had to go through all their belongings, pack, change addressess, cancel utilities, etc. Tate was with me so I took advantage of his strength to tote boxes in preparation for a moving sale to sell Mom and Dad's stuff. Plus he helped me clean out my garage which was full to the rafters. He and a couple friends hauled load after load of my "junk" to put in my parents sale. They worked their hineys off in 100 degree temps, then wouldn't accept any pay. What a blessing. I'm so proud of my grandson and his friends. There's no way I would have been able to carry all those boxes, tools, and furniture.

Then it was scurry off to Billings for what I hope is my last round of chemo. Treatment went well today. My veins cooperated with the IV. It was touch and go as to whether I could have chemo. Both my red and white count, plus potassium are low. After talking it over, the doctors decided because of how well I've tolerated treatment so far, it would be safe. They did give me a shot and prescription for potassium.

July 3, 2007

Darn. Only the first day of chemo was easy. Now I'm feeling really sick. Hopefully since the 4th falls in the middle of my treatment, and I get the day off, it'll help. Nausea is my main complaint. Along with diarrhea which I always seem to get. And of course, this, along with the chemo leads to dehydration. So today I drank liquids and slept A LOT. Tomorrow I want to be well enough to shoot off fireworks with Tate and go to the night display.

July 5, 2007

Going to the fireworks night show didn't pan out. Just couldn't drag myself to it, but I did go outside during the day yesterday and watch Tate blow up soda cans and water puddles. I'm praying this was my LAST chemo treatment. My veins weren't on their best behavior today. It took several tries to get the IV started. I was feeling quite sick when I arrived for treatment so they gave me a megadose of intraveneous anti nausea meds and extra fluids. They really helped. As soon as treatment was over I hit the road for home. This is a 3 hour drive. I made it just in time before the meds wore off. Now I'm lying around trying to keep small amounts of food in my stomach as this seems to help. Nothing tastes really good. It doesn't matter. Anything to help, I'll do. I got another shot today. This one for white cells. I've been warned that these shots can make a body ache. Weird, not only do my joints ache, my bones ache, my skin even hurts. Even though I've had these shots before I didn't have any pain associated with them. One never knows from time to time how the body will react.

My spirit lags somewhat lately. Don't know what that's all about. I've been told it's a normal reaction. We cancer patients go through stages like the stages of grief. A lot like giving up the smokes. There are ups and downs daily. Anger, depression, sadness are all part of the process. Thankfully I am mostly in an upbeat mood. Whenever I start to feel lonely or down I think of all the blessings in my life, I get busy, I call someone, or I sit down and talk to God. I'm truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life and that my cancer treatment seems to be working. Not a day goes by that I don't acknowledge these facts.

Hugs all around!

GAYLENE

img255/1347/gaysnewsigjl7.jpg
I LOVE TO BREATHE
been doing that since 10/21/02

5000 Club Member
Athena of WOS
Style Rider...Hair
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 3
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

August 7, 2007 6:26 am

An update posted by Michelle on Aug 6th:

Hello Friends!

It is with a lump in my throat and so much gratitude in my heart that I let you all know that Gaylene had a great evaluation today!. 

I spoke with her a little while ago, and her tests showed just the tiniest bit of cancer left, and the doctor said that the chemo that is already in her system will take care of that!!!!!

Oh Happy Day!!!

She still has 6 more radiation sessions, and she has to be tested every 3 months because small cell lung cancer has a significant return rate and can show up anywhere, but this is just the BEST possible news!  Her blood work was also really good.  She is still nauseous from the radiation, but I sure hope that will pass soon! 

Thanks so much to each and every one of you for your generous thoughts and prayers for Gaylene.  Please keep them up.  Gay is so grateful for every prayer, and so am I...more grateful than I can put into words right now.   :*)   Thank God.

You can read about Gaylene's experience by clicking on the link in my signature.

((((((((((Gay))))))))))

Thank you and love and peace to you all,

Focus on TODAY

"If you want to change your life, change your mind."

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 4
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

50188.21(21 of 34)
Replied to: 50188.20
December 18, 2007 6:19 pm
Gaylene

December 18, 2007

I think I'm finally over the pneumonia. I'm feeling well and breathing easier.

My new oncologist was concerned about the headaches I have been having so he ordered an MRI of my brain. Thankfully, it turned out fine. Even my sinus is clear so it's not that either. I told him I don't care what is causing them as long as it's not cancer.

I really like this man. He's quite young and seems very concerned and educated. I told him it wasn't just the headaches alone causing my worry. But the chest pains I experienced prior to my cancer diagnosis had returned. I truly feel that, as they disappeared right after diagnosis, that they were a warning to go to a doctor. I thought he might laugh at me. But he didn't. He said, "I've seen many miracles and unexplained happenings. You listen to your body."

I'm off the O2 now. What a relief. The O2 company called me today instead of coming to pick up their equipment. They said they'd like me to keep using it during the night for awhile, as it would be better for my body. I told them my $5000 insurance deductible starts over Jan. 1 and I wanted it gone by then. They started talking about how maybe they can make a deal so it won't cost so much. We'll see. I've already had tremendous expenses, even with good insurance.

I'm wishing all of you a very blessed holiday season and year to come.

Love all around,

GAYLENE

img255/1347/gaysnewsigjl7.jpg
I LOVE TO BREATHE
been doing that since 10/21/2002

There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones. It all depends on how we use them. (Author Unknown)

my Quit Smoking Story

Gaylene's Cancer Journal

50188.22(22 of 34)
Replied to: 50188.20
March 11, 2008 3:11 pm
Gaylene

One year ago on February 5th  I went to my doctor. Little did I know my life was about to drastically change. As I was having severe pains behind my sternum, radiating to my arms and face, dizziness and worsening shortness of breath I assumed it was stress or heart problems. My doctor was sure it was gall bladder. An ultra sound showed nothing wrong there.

Now here is where I want to stress the importance of YOUR persistence if you feel something is wrong. I didn't go into all this at the beginning of this journal.....

My doctor wasn't too concerned since the ultra sound was clear. She decided my pain was caused by body stress from standing with my arms up, behind my salon chair, for so many hours. "BUT",  I asked, "What explains the dizziness and shortness of breath?" Since she had no answer to this she decided to do the chest x-ray. If I hadn't been persistent the cancer probably wouldn't have been found in time for recovery.

Practically the same thing happened with the pulmonologist my doctor sent me to. He wasn't very concerned but agreed to send me to an oncologist. The appointment his office set up for me involved quite a waiting period. When I voiced concern about this the pulmonologist told me, "Even if it is cancer there's no rush." So I waited and worried and waited until I got to see the oncologist. When I told him that I'd been assured there was no rush he got upset. "If this is what I suspect, there IS a rush!" He immediately scheduled me for a lung biopsy. The same pulmonologist did it. It came back negative. No cancer. Thank God the oncologist didn't give up there. That's when he scheduled the PET Scan and found the cancer.

Sorry if this part has been boring.  I jus
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 5
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

January 17, 2009 7:42 am

This journal is a must-read for all.

(((((Gaylene))))) I'm so thankful you are now more than 16 months cancer-free!  Love and thanks to you, dear friend.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 6
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

October 3, 2011 1:12 am
October 2, 2011

Fall is in the air. And what a beautiful fall it is. Got my garden stuff all harvested, gave quite a bit to friends. Usually I dread fall because I know winter is just around the corner. This year  I'm not minding the thought of winter too much. I'm just too darn thankful to be alive and able to enjoy this life. 

I recently had another scan. Passed with flying colors!!!!! Not only am I filled with elation and joy, my oncologist is also!! He gets just about as excited as I do when I pass my exams! 

Thank you Lord, my friends and family, my doctors, and my Essiac Tea. People often ask about the tea. It's an herbal formula which a nurse in Canada concocted. Many, many cancer patients have benefited from it. My oncologist even admits it works. I would never suggest anyone use just it and skip the conventional cancer treatments but Essiac has helped many patients and their pets also. If anyone is reading this and is interested in checking the tea out, go online and do a search. 

Love and Hugs,
Gaylene

GAYLENE

GaysAngel.jpg picture by michbois
 10/21/2002

There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones. It all depends on how we use them. (Author Unknown)
my Quit Smoking Story

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 7
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

Thank you for reading Gaylene's Cancer Journal.  Very sadly, she passed away in October of 2012.  What follows is the announcement from forum guide, Terry Martin.  Rest in gentle pease, dear Gay.  We miss you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Forumily,

It is with great sorrow that I must share sad news with all of you today. Our beloved friend Gaylene passed away this morning from breathing complications that grew into a situation that was more than her body could cope with.

I know that this is a shock for all of you who knew and loved her. It was a shock for the mod team as well. We had exchanged emails with her and she'd posted on the forum just a few days before her son contacted us to say that Gay had been admitted to the hospital. She didn't let on that her health was taking a critical turn, so I don't know whether it was a sudden event or that she was shielding all of us. It wouldn't surprise me if she was - she was never one to complain and wouldn't want anyone to worry on her behalf. Gay was always thinking of others and how she could help them, not of herself. It was that incredibly positive nature of hers that helped her fight and WIN numerous challenges she faced in recent years, and it was that same giving nature that made us all cherish her so much.

Most of you knew our dear Gaylene, but if you didn't, please allow me to share a little about her and direct you to some of the powerful messages she authored that were meant to help you stay the course and make cessation permanent. 

Gay quit smoking on October 21, 2002 following a diagnosis of emphysema. She found the forum not long after and settled in. Using her positive attitude, imagery and many, many caramel apple suckers, she got through her first smoke-free year. Her quit program was a WIN and everyone here, winners. :*)

From Gay's One Year Milestone:

"I say WINNER most of the time because I'd rather be a winner than a quitter! Think positive thoughts about cessation. You are choosing to be smoke free. Actually, you can smoke any time you want, but you would rather not. You are a non-smoker. Non-smokers don't smoke.

"Using imagery has been a big help to me. I like to imagine myself smoking in a group. The air is clouded with smoke that is coming out of our mouths and noses. We are hacking and wheezing. We have yellow teeth and fingers. Then with that nasty picture in mind, I like to imagine that I'm lying on green grass, gazing at the clear blue sky and taking in the fresh air. I can smell the nearby flowers. I'm totally relaxed. Which picture would you rather be in?

"Please, don't ever give up on your quest to be smoke free. Every single bit of discomfort you feel is worth the outcome!"

Not long after her first smoke-free anniversary I asked Gay to join the moderating team, and thankfully for the many generations of WINNERS to come, she happily obliged. 
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message