About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gaylene's Cancer Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 8/30/15 by ModMic (MICHELL15437); 1236 views.
In reply toRe: msg 4
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

50188.21(21 of 34)
Replied to: 50188.20
December 18, 2007 6:19 pm
Gaylene

December 18, 2007

I think I'm finally over the pneumonia. I'm feeling well and breathing easier.

My new oncologist was concerned about the headaches I have been having so he ordered an MRI of my brain. Thankfully, it turned out fine. Even my sinus is clear so it's not that either. I told him I don't care what is causing them as long as it's not cancer.

I really like this man. He's quite young and seems very concerned and educated. I told him it wasn't just the headaches alone causing my worry. But the chest pains I experienced prior to my cancer diagnosis had returned. I truly feel that, as they disappeared right after diagnosis, that they were a warning to go to a doctor. I thought he might laugh at me. But he didn't. He said, "I've seen many miracles and unexplained happenings. You listen to your body."

I'm off the O2 now. What a relief. The O2 company called me today instead of coming to pick up their equipment. They said they'd like me to keep using it during the night for awhile, as it would be better for my body. I told them my $5000 insurance deductible starts over Jan. 1 and I wanted it gone by then. They started talking about how maybe they can make a deal so it won't cost so much. We'll see. I've already had tremendous expenses, even with good insurance.

I'm wishing all of you a very blessed holiday season and year to come.

Love all around,

GAYLENE

img255/1347/gaysnewsigjl7.jpg
I LOVE TO BREATHE
been doing that since 10/21/2002

There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones. It all depends on how we use them. (Author Unknown)

my Quit Smoking Story

Gaylene's Cancer Journal

50188.22(22 of 34)
Replied to: 50188.20
March 11, 2008 3:11 pm
Gaylene

One year ago on February 5th  I went to my doctor. Little did I know my life was about to drastically change. As I was having severe pains behind my sternum, radiating to my arms and face, dizziness and worsening shortness of breath I assumed it was stress or heart problems. My doctor was sure it was gall bladder. An ultra sound showed nothing wrong there.

Now here is where I want to stress the importance of YOUR persistence if you feel something is wrong. I didn't go into all this at the beginning of this journal.....

My doctor wasn't too concerned since the ultra sound was clear. She decided my pain was caused by body stress from standing with my arms up, behind my salon chair, for so many hours. "BUT",  I asked, "What explains the dizziness and shortness of breath?" Since she had no answer to this she decided to do the chest x-ray. If I hadn't been persistent the cancer probably wouldn't have been found in time for recovery.

Practically the same thing happened with the pulmonologist my doctor sent me to. He wasn't very concerned but agreed to send me to an oncologist. The appointment his office set up for me involved quite a waiting period. When I voiced concern about this the pulmonologist told me, "Even if it is cancer there's no rush." So I waited and worried and waited until I got to see the oncologist. When I told him that I'd been assured there was no rush he got upset. "If this is what I suspect, there IS a rush!" He immediately scheduled me for a lung biopsy. The same pulmonologist did it. It came back negative. No cancer. Thank God the oncologist didn't give up there. That's when he scheduled the PET Scan and found the cancer.

Sorry if this part has been boring.  I jus
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 5
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

January 17, 2009 7:42 am

This journal is a must-read for all.

(((((Gaylene))))) I'm so thankful you are now more than 16 months cancer-free!  Love and thanks to you, dear friend.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 6
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

October 3, 2011 1:12 am
October 2, 2011

Fall is in the air. And what a beautiful fall it is. Got my garden stuff all harvested, gave quite a bit to friends. Usually I dread fall because I know winter is just around the corner. This year  I'm not minding the thought of winter too much. I'm just too darn thankful to be alive and able to enjoy this life. 

I recently had another scan. Passed with flying colors!!!!! Not only am I filled with elation and joy, my oncologist is also!! He gets just about as excited as I do when I pass my exams! 

Thank you Lord, my friends and family, my doctors, and my Essiac Tea. People often ask about the tea. It's an herbal formula which a nurse in Canada concocted. Many, many cancer patients have benefited from it. My oncologist even admits it works. I would never suggest anyone use just it and skip the conventional cancer treatments but Essiac has helped many patients and their pets also. If anyone is reading this and is interested in checking the tea out, go online and do a search. 

Love and Hugs,
Gaylene

GAYLENE

GaysAngel.jpg picture by michbois
 10/21/2002

There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones. It all depends on how we use them. (Author Unknown)
my Quit Smoking Story

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 7
ModMic (MICHELL15437)
Staff

8/30/15

Thank you for reading Gaylene's Cancer Journal.  Very sadly, she passed away in October of 2012.  What follows is the announcement from forum guide, Terry Martin.  Rest in gentle pease, dear Gay.  We miss you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Forumily,

It is with great sorrow that I must share sad news with all of you today. Our beloved friend Gaylene passed away this morning from breathing complications that grew into a situation that was more than her body could cope with.

I know that this is a shock for all of you who knew and loved her. It was a shock for the mod team as well. We had exchanged emails with her and she'd posted on the forum just a few days before her son contacted us to say that Gay had been admitted to the hospital. She didn't let on that her health was taking a critical turn, so I don't know whether it was a sudden event or that she was shielding all of us. It wouldn't surprise me if she was - she was never one to complain and wouldn't want anyone to worry on her behalf. Gay was always thinking of others and how she could help them, not of herself. It was that incredibly positive nature of hers that helped her fight and WIN numerous challenges she faced in recent years, and it was that same giving nature that made us all cherish her so much.

Most of you knew our dear Gaylene, but if you didn't, please allow me to share a little about her and direct you to some of the powerful messages she authored that were meant to help you stay the course and make cessation permanent. 

Gay quit smoking on October 21, 2002 following a diagnosis of emphysema. She found the forum not long after and settled in. Using her positive attitude, imagery and many, many caramel apple suckers, she got through her first smoke-free year. Her quit program was a WIN and everyone here, winners. :*)

From Gay's One Year Milestone:

"I say WINNER most of the time because I'd rather be a winner than a quitter! Think positive thoughts about cessation. You are choosing to be smoke free. Actually, you can smoke any time you want, but you would rather not. You are a non-smoker. Non-smokers don't smoke.

"Using imagery has been a big help to me. I like to imagine myself smoking in a group. The air is clouded with smoke that is coming out of our mouths and noses. We are hacking and wheezing. We have yellow teeth and fingers. Then with that nasty picture in mind, I like to imagine that I'm lying on green grass, gazing at the clear blue sky and taking in the fresh air. I can smell the nearby flowers. I'm totally relaxed. Which picture would you rather be in?

"Please, don't ever give up on your quest to be smoke free. Every single bit of discomfort you feel is worth the outcome!"

Not long after her first smoke-free anniversary I asked Gay to join the moderating team, and thankfully for the many generations of WINNERS to come, she happily obliged. 
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message