About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Octonopers 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 11/1/18 by ModAndrea; 155790 views.
Rassister

3/29/20

Congratulations Blue!!!  I know that I am very late but I wanted to say hello and congratulate you on a job well done back in October 2019.  You are well on your way to two years quit.  

Stay safe, be well.

Marilyn 

BlueDahlia29

May-9

Hi Marilyn. I'm a bit late to see this message but thank you so much, still going strong at over 18 months smober, stopped counting but do have an app that counts for me. Hope you are well and huge congrats to you on over 2 years, so awesome!

overdoz

May-16

just read over comment on coronavirus, back in late January i remember first hearing of the virus they were calling it the wuhan virus back then, there wasn't much info on it, i remember on cnbc hearing that americans weren't taking it seriously which we weren't, till someone died from it, and now here we are at past 80,000, totally unbelievable. I hope your doing good JR, take care. 

Overdoz quit 04-17-2020

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

Overdoz,

It's good to hear from you. First, congratulations on making it to a month without a cigarette. Hang in there with it.  Seems like after the 11th month everything really did change for me and I stopped feeling like I was missing something.  But man, getting to that 11th month is a pain in the rear.  So please hang in there and keep trying and add all the days you haven't smoked in the past two to three years and celebrate those days really big.

I have thought about you during this pandemic and wondered if you are still driving passengers and how you could protect yourself if you are.  I had to have a pacemaker put in back in February and my cardiologist  really made a believer out of me on this Covid virus.  He advised me not to pay attention to anything the President or the doctors on tv were saying (at that time they were still saying you didn't need to cover your nose and mouth).  He told me from that time forward I should wear a mask and also goggles that completely seal around my eyes anytime I am out in public.  He also told me that at that time there was just not enough understanding about this virus and how it reacts on people to make general recommendations to the public in general. So, I took his advice and got a pair of goggles right then and have been wearing both a mask and goggles every time I go into a public place. 

At first I was really kind of embarrassed about the goggles but eventually I got used to folks staring at me like I was crazy or something.  Lots of people are dying from Covid but nobody ever died from embarrassment as far as I know. LOL So, I'm sticking with the goggles and mask like the cardiologist recommended.

When I first went back to work after the surgery I was going to be the only one wearing a mask but I told my boss that was just how it was going to have to be.  Then oddly enough, on the day I went back our company made everyone start wearing masks at all times except when going to eat lunch. We had just had an employee to die from Covid and the company really put strict guidelines in place and they aren't planning to relax them any for at least the rest of this year. We have been fortunate that we have been able to continue working through this.  We make products that are used to make medical equipment that is vital to the hospitals during this pandemic.

Hope you are staying safe too. Hang in there with your quit, everyday with out a cigarette is always a day to celebrate!

overdoz

May-17

Wow, goggles too? so it may be able to enter through the eyes also.. unbelievable. My friend says that we are all going to get it eventually, the governments are just trying to slow it down, its hard to think about.

JR i stopped driving around 2nd week in March cause there was no business, they had cancelled St Patricks day parade in Chicago which is a huge event and then began closing conventions etc, etc and the business went away. I tried applying for unemployment, well see if they give me anything. Thinking of doing something else maybe a bus driver, but that is risky as well. Its horrible so many people have been laid off from work. 

Kinda disheartening that you start feeling better after the 11 month mark, my cravings have subsided about the 2nd week, i remember at the 10 day mark the nicotine monster was knocking on my door and i was walking a lot. I try to go for a long walk, and actually even went for an hour long run yesterday with many breaks, felt great when i got home, the endorphins..

Thanks for helping everyone by making medical equipment, i know my cousin is a nurse and her thinking at the time was cause it was a career in high demand and she got a job right away, but i dont think they knew they were signing up for this. I feel for the people that work in the hospitals. 

There is a good group of new people here from april and May that i have met, i hope this is my forever quit, but yeah the quit time i have had from 2018 to now is quit significant if you put it in those terms i must be smoke free half that time if not more. Just many weeks i would not smoke or just smoke a few a day for weeks, you know how it goes. Congratulations your heading for the 2 year mark soon, it will be October before we know it. Its amazing i see people o here getting their wings, i guess they have made it to the 5 year mark.. Keep in touch, nice hearing from you, hope the pacemaker works out well

Overdoz quit 04-17-2020

JR (DPartonFan)

Jun-29

Blue,

Just wanted to check in with you and see how you have been doing through this pandemic. I’ve been working through all of this but taking every precaution I can to stay safe. Hope all is well with you and you are still doing good with your quit. 
Did you plant any tomatoes this year?

BlueDahlia29

Aug-15

Hi JR. I am doing great with the smoking quit and I also finally quit drinking, am feeling wonderful. I have had some difficult things go on lately, our sweet dog passed away this month and I also was in a car accident 2 weeks ago but thankfully no one was hurt. I did plant some tomatoes earlier in the spring but the summer heat killed them, however I have some peppers that are doing well.  How have you been JR? I miss our Octonoper group, wonder how everyone else is doing.

SenseiShido

Aug-17

So sorry about the pupper passing.  It is never easy.  Glad noone was hurt in the accident.  The Decimator group has gone silent as well, but I am 20 months in and still an ex smoker!

BlueDahlia29

Aug-28

Thank you so much Sensei Shido for your condolences. Life is starting to look up again since those challenges happened, so am thankful for that. HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on 20 months that is so AWESOME!!! Will be 2 years for both of us here very soon. Glad you found your freedom xo.

Hey JR,

BIG Congrats and Happy 2 year Anniversary on being a quitter. Hope you staying safe during this pandemic and not losing your mind during this election season. I am not going to watch anymore election coverage on TV. I early voted and can hardly wait until Nov 3rd. President having Covid and not cooperating with staying safe or contact tracing was making me angry. So will not watch any debates, election stuff period...I am done with that like we are done with cigs. I am still trying to stay safe until we can get thru this pandemic stuff. Can't let up off the gas now. I have seriously been thinking about wearing googles as your Dr. suggested. If I was around someone who tested positive, I would gladly wear goggles. If Dad got sick, would have to keep caring for him. Got my N95 masks ready for the Real deal...just being prepared. So I will have to buy goggles when I see them again. I like to be prepared...don't like unexpected curve balls.

Enjoy some chocolate cake to celebrate your milestone. Take care. I left you a message in July group as well.

Let's keep kicking Cig Butt!!

Gloria

Freedom, Peace & Joy since 30 July 2018....How Sweet it is!!sunflower