About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Octonopers 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 11/1/18 by ModAndrea; 160032 views.
claire0331

11/1/18

Well that is good to know! I feel like a dingbat. 

claire0331

11/1/18

Other than feeling spacey, I am okay. Just working through my cravings. Had a particularly tense one just now, with the ridiculous junkie thinking and rationalizing why it might be fine to just go ahead and have “just one”.  I am telling myself that there is no such thing as just one and that the only reason for me to smoke right now is if I want to a full time smoker again, enslaved to poison. Well, no thank you to that.

claire0331

11/1/18

Oh and I used to light up before putting the groceri s away too. And probably after.  Blasting some happy tunes while I put stuff away and singing like a lunatic has helped me. Not pleasant for anyone listening but helpful to me. Lol

BlueDahlia29

11/1/18

You really are doing fantastic Claire you seem to be determined that will get you far.  That's what I did today once I got groceries in the house I cranked up some music much more enjoyable than a cig..next time I'll sing and dance while I'll put them away make it even more fun lol, thanks for the tip hehe.

dededubs

11/1/18

Andrea, I made it quit through Halloween and am on Day 4 again! Feels so much better on this side!! I have a family trip coming up in a week and am not sure if I will be able to make it through as some of my close relatives smokes. I had out of town relatives and we are supposed to take them to Tahoe. Anyway, it’s not until Veteran’s weekend so I have time to prep. When do you think is best to reacclimate around your smoking relatives? Just a week away from them, right? Feels good to be smoke free. Just hope I can last today!

• Edited November 1, 2018 3:11 pm  by  dededubs
BMann (bmann018)

11/1/18

I did feel loopy for the first couple weeks, kind of in a fog. I recall having a hard time concentrating at work. I also spent a lot of time on this forum and elsewhere reading everything I could on the subject. I also read over and over the inspirational sayings listed here, anything to distract me. Lots of ice water, walks, games, puzzles, anything to distract myself.

Most importantly for me was believing I can do this. I can! You can! Anyone can! Just do what ever you need to not smoke, NRTs, anything. I truly does get better. Believe!

Good luck and shout out here as much as you need.

ModAndrea

11/1/18

Accepting that there is no "just one" is such an important step, Blue. It took time for me, too, but when it finally sunk in, I knew I'd turned a corner.

You are doing this! blush

ModAndrea

11/1/18

Great float, Blue. My daughter has her eye on one of those giant swans.

ModAndrea

11/1/18

Congratulations on the new sea star jumping in line, Michele! Five months is fabulous!

Have a wonderful smoke free day!

Hugs,

Andrea

ModAndrea

11/1/18

Congratulations on making it to Day 4, Dededubs! Continue to concentrate on getting through today. 

Watching someone else smoke is a powerful trigger. Perhaps if you let your visitors know in advance that you have quit smoking, they can be supportive. Like taking their smoke breaks away from you. Giving yourself permission to take a break when you need it. Think of situations you may be in and come up with how you're going to maintain your quit. Keep your list of reasons for quitting and your plan for staying smoke free with you. You can do this, dededubs. blush

Have a wonderful smoke free day!

Hugs,

Andrea