About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPEvember 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 11/30/18 by ModDee; 66847 views.
lizwilfred

6/6/19

Hi Pam,

I’ve been lurking rather than posting. So much happening at home, there’s only so much time I can neglect my children to forum !!

Hope you are feeling better. I pop on to the Jan group where I claimed squatters rights!

Keep fighting on.

Liz x

AsadAKhan

6/10/19

Hello Julie,

I have a question for you. You mentioned that you have a huge craving past week (first road trip) and then you mentioned that craving are different now.

Is the first time craving you have on your first-time road trip (past week) after quit is different from craving you have in 2-3 month for any first time thing you did?  

Or the first time cravings you are getting now on something you are doing for the first time after quit are also less in intensity then first time craving in 3 month or first time craving will be always hard even if it is in seven month

spartanfan

6/10/19

They are definitely not as strong as they were when I was in my 2nd or 3rd month.  It was a "huge" craving in that it was my first time taking a road trip and not smoking, so my brain automatically wanted to smoke when we stopped, but I truly was able to just dismiss the thought.  I still will have cravings once or twice a day, but they pass within a minute, maybe not even that long.  The intensity level is WAY down as is the frequency.

I had it in my brain that getting past this addiction will take at least 1 year, maybe longer if I'm still doing "firsts" after I hit the one year mark (for example--if my first plane ride is after the 1 year mark, I would expect a craving to hit at the airport since I haven't flown without smoking first since 1989!)  The positive part of this, is since I'm expecting to have cravings, they don't have a lot of power over me--I'm ready for them!

Hope this helps blush

AsadAKhan

6/11/19

smile

I think I am not explaining it rightly. Let say I smoke a lot before boarding a plane and a train and do it very regularly. I quit smoking and board train in second month. I understand that first time triggers will lead to craving and it will be high intensity craving the first time and will ease out second time and subsequently.

Let say I dont travel via plane until 7th month and then I got the trigger and craving. Will the first time craving in 7th month when boarding a plane first time will be of same intensity as first time craving in 2nd month when I was boarding the train for the first time.

Reason I am asking is that I am in Canada from last 6 years and before that I was in Pakistan. I smoked in Pakistan for around 18 years before moving to Canada and have tons of friends, family and places (u name it). I usually don't travel to Pakistan a lot but I will say once every 2 years or something. I might will go there next year in Spring i.e. after 1 year of quit smoke. Will it mean that I will go through craving month with all those triggers and cravings will be as intense as what I got in 1st month sob.  

spartanfan

6/11/19

No, I don’t think the cravIng will be anything like what we all experience in the first 2-3 months.  You will likely have a craving, or even just a thought about smoking, since it’s something you used to do in Pakistan, but it will not be a really bad one, and with all the months (or even a year) without smoking, i think it will be fairly easy to get through it!  

AsadAKhan

6/11/19

Thanks. I hope for the same as well. In any case I should not be thinking of what will happen next year and should focus on 1 day at a time.

baysedge

6/26/19

congrats :))  to everyone :)) still hanging in there  getting easier ever day. Happy for everyone !

In reply toRe: msg 407
spartanfan

6/27/19

How have all the Nopevembers been doing? I'm craving less frequently and they're definitely not very strong, but sometimes a thought will pop into my head like "how will I ever be able to do that without smoking?"  and then I remember I don't need those nasty $&%$*%&^ers anymore smile  I feel like I've come so far but still don't want to let my guard down even for a second--staying vigilant!

Hope you're all doing well!!!

J

lizwilfred

6/27/19

Hey Bays, sorry I missed your month. I’m struggling a bit with anxiety etc! What a bloody nuisance. Well done and Keep on with the good work. Hope you are well and enjoying the start of summer.

Message me  anytime 

Liz x

baysedge

6/27/19

Thanks -but instead so happy you are still in the mix of 6mos and beyond. If the anxiety is a by- product of non smoking  it will phase itself out..hopefully. Went thru similiar but found it did go away !   Feel good Liz. youve earned it