About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 142369 views.
slowblumer

3/1/19

Hi Anthony,

Welcome back.  You made it to 6 weeks before and that tells me you can go further.  Getting beyond the first miserable months is tough-no doubt about it but I think you know you can do it.  Not taking that first puff  is critical.  Keep at it, Anthony and hope you have some great quit buddy's joining the March group.

Remember that phrase we use here:

'If I have just one I'll be right back where I started and where I started was desperately wishing I could be where I am today'

Paula266

3/1/19

Welcome. Im from the exsmoker Jan. Braveheart group. I was a pack a day smoker for 40 years. Im 62. I decided to quit last Nov. I set a quit date for Jan 1st. I then started educating my self about this addiction. I chose patches, because I did not succeed on other methods. Everyone is different and finds what works for them. I prepared for 6 weeks. I started breaking associations with cigs, like driving and smoking. I also started tapering off on cigs. I read everything I could get my hands on about quitting. I made a list of distractions, to get my mind off craves when they came. I was blessed to find this forum, 2 days before Jan 1st. I read all I could. I found people with stories like mine and read the peoples post who had weeks, months and years of quit done. I didn't want to be yelled at or lectured. That never happens here. The folks are very understanding and compassionate. I hope you have a plan. I needed one. The forum brought it all together for me. Today I celebrate 2 months being a nonsmoker. It has changed my whole life style. I can breathe better and Im doing things I never thought I would do. Stay with us read and post. You can do this. We are here for you.  starstar blush

Screwadriver

3/1/19

Welcome back Anthony so nice to see you are giving it another shot, i personally am in your corner rooting for you as I know others here are as well. Good luck, stay strong and beat that nicodemon!

Thanks Marge,

'If I have just one I'll be right back where I started and where I started was desperately wishing I could be where I am today'

I will remember this when and if the cravings hit, so far so good though I have just woke up, a few hours under my belt before I go for my walk.

8 hours, 0 minutes and 14 seconds. 10 cigarettes not smoked, saving $9.98. 

Kind regards

Anthony

Thanks for the encouragement Paula,

Sounds like your doing all the right stuff, congratulations on your two month anniversary. I've smoked for about 40 years, I knew all along it was no good for me, yet I persisted such is the nature of the beast, to crack that relationship with cigs You have to stand firm in your decision not to smoke, (I'm talking to myself here) and ignore that inner voice that says "just one". I now keep relatively busy, keep my mind occupied is half the battle. Yippee i'm a non smoker, lets celebrate this fact, leave the old life behind, start afresh with the new.

Kind regards

Anthony

Quit 1st March 2019

Thanks Screwadriver,

Yes thanks for the welcome back, I have to earn my stripes now starting from scratch but "from little things big things grow", line from a Paul Kelly song. How are you and how is your quit going?

Kind regards

Anthony

slowblumer

3/1/19

Hi Anthony,

Not 'if the cravings hit' because you know they will.  You can do this.

Screwadriver

3/1/19

I just celebrated my 3rd month quit and am feeling real good month 3 I found to be a breeze. Month 2 I had some motivation issues and sleeping way too long until I started excercising then just good things seemed to happen. 

A friend happened to see me post a message and asked about the stars I had put as my signiture then he told me to go with him to see some gals who were celibrating there 2nd month quit. Sure enough they were so happy being 2 months quit they were dancing on stage showing off the 2 stars.....

Good to have back!

Ostekake12

3/1/19

Hi Anthony

Welcome to this gorgious forume. I am quite new my self, but I have actually managed to day 24 today. It is a true roller coaster and these two days has been the worst for me. But I am so thankful that I have this forume. The last 24 hours I have been at the hospital with my girlfriend and it has been so scary all of it. And even when I have hold her in my arms while she had had seizures for hours and hours  - I have had the phone in the other hand and posted here. I need to be here. And I hope you will stay here during your good and bad days tulip

full_moonfull_moonfull_moon - Veronica

Smober and proud since 5.2.19

Paula266

3/1/19

Im with you on leaving that life of addiction that really wasn't a life. Smoking controlled everything I did. Now Im free. I feel 100 % better already. I talk to myself alot. Beats smoking. I even talk to strangers in stores if I get a crave. I will say "excuse me do you know where the yeast is " and then " You look familar, seems like I've seen you before". Lol by then Im laughing and the craves gone. Keep doing whatever you need to, to not smoke. I do silly stuff at home sometimes to pass a crave. Ive rearranged my sock drawer so many times and my food in my kitchen cabnets. My husband can tell when Ive had a rough crave day, cause he can't find anything.  Keep NOPE-ing. Have a great nonsmoking Friday.