About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 62968 views.
trish2uh

10/6/19

Hi JuliannI 

I got antibiotics and oral steroids they really helped so much.  Honestly I have no idea if this is common or not.   I do know I've read that most smoker will have problem with their sinuses for quite a while after smoking which I do too..lol Lucky me I've got it all...lol  But I am doing so much better now when this started I couldn't lie down, sleep or really do anything I was dead I sat on the couch or chair and hoped I'd get some sleep.  I couldn't do too much due to feeling like I couldn't breathe.  Well a month later and I'm up and about doing yard work again and sleeping in my bed too!!!  Hang in there you can do this.

Trish 

PrepsEtc

10/6/19

I just discovered this board and after 50 years smoking, I really need to quit. I have COPD and emphysema, and will surely need a miracle to make it work. Please help

trish2uh

10/6/19

You can do it just take it one day at a time.  Read as much as you can on the forums and reach out with questions someone will eventually answer you.  I quit smoking on August 1, 2019 and honestly its the best thing I've ever done.  I'm finally starting to feel better and like myself it was a very long hard road but I did it and so can you..............one foot in front of the other and day by day!!!

PrepsEtc

10/6/19

Thank you very much, as I am medically a challenge to work with. My COPD/Emphesema and back injuries leave me with lot's of free time to study up, I have no idea how much time I have left to live in terms of weeks, months or years left before I may have to permanently move into an elder care place, I need to try to make the best of what time I have left. I need to try to get this right before I check out.

Welcome to the best support to put smoking in the past. Your October quit buddies are all in the same part of the process. Take it day by day only. The craves will decrease in intensity and the number of them as you pass into the 4 th month. After that more and more nicotine receptors will shut down and by a year you'll have about 6% remaining. It is a wicked tough exhaustingly slow process till we get free but the only way is through it. Stay busy, start making new nonsmoking memories, change up your routines, drink lots of water and read everything on this forum. 

An educated quit is a successful quit. Don't put yourself in situations where you have a tough time with cravings. Cut back on coffee, brush your teeth often and get into exercise so you get some positive dopamine rushing through your body. That instant aahhh no longer gets satisfied, instead, you'll have to get it like all nonsmokers through great foods, fun, exercise and other things that give you that happy feeling. Try to hang out in places where smoking isn't permitted and be proud to be a nonsmoker. 

Keep a NO FEAR attitude and make your future one where cigarettes no longer control your life. I wish you the very best in your quest. 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

PrepsEtc

10/6/19

Thank you for the encouragement, I am going to need every bit of help I can get. At my age trying to do this with the effort it takes is going to be the biggest challenge I've ever met.

Screwadriver

10/7/19

Morning Preps, are you a non smoker yet? The moment you put down your last smoke you are a non smoker. Anyways after 40 yrs and numerous failed quit attempts including a quit longer than a year I felt it was time for me to toss them. My reasons health and financial. It took me well over a month to make 24 hr quit. I didn't set a quit date but I did start by not smoking in the mornings, maybe afternoons or evenings. I limited my smoking to a 5 or 6 smokes a day with most days only 1. Every time I had one I made myself wonder what I wanted or needed out of each one. They made me dizzy, cough etc. I still have my last pack with 6 smokes in it dated Oct 18 2018 the last pack I had payed for, although my offical quit date was Nov 25, 2018. 

Yup this last quit was difficult and I was on here 3 or 4 hours each and every day reading, complaining and making some good friends. For me on day 11 things got easier, then again at my 1 month mark, after 3 months quit way way easier and also I noticed marked improvements in my health. 

If you haven't already started plan your quit however but start something soon. Educate yourself and post often you can do this. One day one minute at a time and every day it gets easier.

Brenda (1sept19)

10/7/19

Just wanted to welcome you and let you know it can be done.  I also smoked a very long time and have emphysema.  I always thought I needed smokes and couldn't live without them. I have found that I can and that life is so much better. Smoking is definitely not our friend and will only kill us.  Keep a positive attitude and take it one day at a time.  Tell yourself you wont smoke today and tomorrow repeat.  You can do this !

PrepsEtc

10/7/19

Thank you for the response. No, I haven't digested enough information yet to assign a start date. It may take a week or so for me to absorb and grasp the process as a whole. I did discover a new link that should come in very helpful. It involves ionized water, raw LIVING food, delicious juices and the wonderous detoxing superfoods of spirulina and chlorella…and you can  start to repair all the years of damage done from smoking.

See this link..the cells replace themselves in less than a year. Check this graphic out, along with the advice attached...

http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/course/the-truth-about-smoking/benefits-of-quitting-smoking/

ModAndrea

10/7/19

Welcome to the forum, Preps! Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. I smoked for forty years and tried quitting numerous times. This forum made all the difference. 

Debbie is absolutely right in advising you to read everything you can about this addiction and the quitting process. The more you know, the better your chances are for success. Here's a great place to start.

Getting Ready to Quit:

What are Your Reasons to Quit Smoking?
Why am I Afraid to Quit?  
When is The Best Time to Quit? 
How You Can Prepare to Quit 
Quit Aid Choices 
Supplies to Have On Hand When Quit Day Arrives

Yes, quitting smoking is hard, but it is absolutely worth it. One of the things that amazed me was how quickly the body begins to heal.

You can do this, Preps! I'm glad you're here. blush

Hugs,

Andrea