About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

December 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 44288 views.
Matt1961

3/15/20

Stay strong, Cherbear.  It is difficult during stressful times, isn't it?  There are so many times during a stressful event that the thought of taking a puff is attractive to me.  Then i have to remind myself that there are only two good reasons for taking a puff:  (1) I want to go back to smoking until my body can no longer take it and gives up, or (2) I love the withdrawal feeling so much and I want it to continue indefinitely.  Since neither of those apply to me, I find another way to deal with the stress.  I have found that absolutely every time, the stressful event passes, and then I am grateful that I did not take that puff.

This is the place to whine.  Everybody here gets it.  However, the stress will pass and we are stronger than whatever brings it on.

cherbearquit

3/15/20

Thanks. No I do not EVER want to start over! I plan to do some cleaning, take a walk and stay busy reading bookmarked posts and articles. I have these difficult days every now and then, but usually feel better the next day. Too much stress lately I think. NOPE!

cherbearquit

3/15/20

Ahhh, this made me laugh! My neighbors would probably think that I finally “list it”. lol!

cherbearquit

3/15/20

Thanks for the pep talk Matt! This forum sure does help. It is comforting to know you can vent to folks who truly “get it”. Thanks everyone! Going to clean and take a walk! 

Eve1973

3/15/20

Good to hearYou strong!

Hapjap

3/15/20

It’s true. My last quit I was camping at my third month. I just knew I was going to loose my quit. I came on the forum and realized it was icky 3 and seasonal. 

SusanK1960

3/17/20

Hi Dorion,

Sending you a big congrats on being your smobriety!  Three months is fantastic!  Keep the quit attitude!

DebraAnne60

3/24/20

Hey Maja, 

Haven't heard from you lately and just wanted to see how you are doing.  We are both almost up to the 3 months so thought I would check in with ya.

Cheers   

Majomar

3/25/20

Hello, Debra!

So nice to hear from you.

I was thinking about writing and checking on you and some other members, but I've been struggling to find the time and/or energy.

This new situation with Covid-19 changed mina and everyone's, I believe, daily routine and stress levels are sometimes quite high. 

The thing is I live alone with my father, who is 84 years old and has chronic lung disease (from recently) and other problems. My brother can't come because there is complete blockage of travel between cities and also because he's afraid of passing something to our father. My other brother is very far away. I don't drive, don't have a car, can't use taxi's (I stopped even before it was forbidden, for precaution), and had to organize our daily life and make arrangements for his therapy, for food for at least 20 days, everything...  and when you live in a hill and have to do in on foot... it's a challenge :D 

And then, there is stress - if I go out, am I doing everything to protect myself? I keep disinfecting everything and then have allergies and skin problems :D... but I need to protect him.

I haven't seen my friends for a month, cant' see them or anyone dear, because I have to be careful of not transmitting anything to my father (or to anyone).

Where I live it is a very small country with a healthcare system that is falling apart. Campaign for complete isolation of EVERYONE is very strong and it is our only chance, indeed. Even if someone would like to take a walk, he can't, every part of this town, parks, playgrounds, every square, every walk  - it's sealed. Communal police are everywhere. People on the sidewalk (if you happen to pass by anyone) walk away from each other. :D 

So, as you can see, times are challenging... We were the last in Europe to register first cases, but with the strongest and earliest implemented measures... things changed practically overnight, it's a bit surreal. But necessary.

That is why I haven't been here for a while. I was in the middle of... handling depression and grieving... and then I suddenly haven't had the time to do that - it's a strange situation. And... it is the best time in life to be smoke-free, and I am, but I can see that if I have to go out, for any reason (like pharmacy), I have strong urge to smoke. I don't do it. But obviously, stress still is the main... challenge. And I believe if we make it through times like this, we are good... for good. ;)

I struggle with food when stress levels rise, but otherwise - I'm handling everything! An altogether I am fine. it's just... so much to process. And to find a way to keep the head clear.

I still do the workout, have my training, it's just online now... I think that is important.

How are you all doing? What is your situation with this new coronavirus? 

DebraAnne60

3/25/20

Oh dear, I am so concerned for you.  It all sounds so stressful in your world .  Where are you located.  You must be so pleased you are not smoking.  I sure hope you get some relief soon.  

We are not too bad here in Ontario Canada.  So far anyway. 

I looked after my father when he was sick with cancer for 18 months and did not want to be in the hospital.  I remember it was a lot of work.  You are dealing with so much, I wish I could come right over and give you a hand.  You are quite right though, if you can get through this and maintain your quit journey, you are definitely carry on for life.  I am soon up to three months but I notice the dreams are getting more and more vivid.  Sometimes it takes me quite some time  to realize it was just a dream when I wake up.    I never knew that smoking actually stunted our sleep dreams.  Did you also have a surge in vivid dreams.

Otherwise, things are pretty easy at the moment. 

Do write back when you have a moment  and let us know how you are doing.  I always enjoy hearing from you.  

Stay safe,