About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SOS   Quit Support

Started Oct-17 by KalyaRed; 4142 views.
popc87

Oct-17

I’m new to this forum and I don’t know how the age range is here but I’m 32 and have quit smoking 5 years ago for a year straight and have been smoke free for 3 weeks now both times has been cold Turk and I can honestly say this time has been so much easier. I’m saying this in reply to you Kayla and to let you and everyone know that it is hard but it can be done with determination and honesty. You have to want it and be outspoken about how you feel and goals your trying to reach for quitting. I went through bad withdrawals my first time to the point I was a nervous wreck and was socially awkward and babbling mess when it came to verbal engagement, I chewed gum like a camel, I tapped my feet and fingers like there was a imaginary keyboard always in front of me but it got easier once I decided that my life was more important than my escape. I need support just as much as anyone here but I’m also know a couple things about addiction and the hardships 

MichaelaOana

Oct-18

Hi, Kalya. How are you today?

Yesterday was a hard day for me too.  Please stay strong. We are here to help you. Is better to post here and dont worry about challenging the patience of people in this forum. We all had our bad days. This forum is for this kind of moments also.

Hugs from Romania.

KalyaRed

Oct-18

Good morning, Viv 

Thank you for the positive thoughts! I was lucky to see your response quickly. 

KalyaRed

Oct-18

Good morning, June, 

I've read this message at 6.30am. It really helped me start the day. 

You're right, it is enticing. And you're right, it won't be worth it. 

The tears haven't come yet. I guess they're waiting for the worst possible time. 

KalyaRed

Oct-18

Good morning Denim, 

I've booked marked this message too. I'm still on the limb, though I recognise the truth in your words. I didn't smoke but I didn't throw away my pack. 

Today's going to be a hard day. I hope I can get to bed smoke-free but it's not even 9AM and I'm not super strong or confident. 

Thank you so much for all your support! 

KalyaRed

Oct-18

Hello, 

I'm 37. This must be my 1000th time quitting. I always lose my quit to depression and bursts of anger. Being chronically depressed I can't take any more medication than I already do. Depression gets worse when I quit. 

I've read a lot about it and I do everything I can to go around it. I workout, I try to be positive, I eat healthy, I take walks, I play with my cat, I rely on my friends, drink herbal infusions, but I have a terrible insomnia and whatever I do I always wake up between two and four times a night. 

So yeah I hope it can be done even with all these conditions. I've got a terrible headache today. 

KalyaRed

Oct-18

Hi Michaela, 

The day's just started and I wish it was already nighttime... 

I'm sorry for being so negative today but I can't help myself right now. 

I hope you're going strong!! 

Hugs from Portugal! 

4quitness

Oct-18

Oh Kayla, your SOS went out to most of us in the middle of the night. Don't do it! You will still be depressed, scared, angry, or whatever emotions you are experiencing whether you smoke or not. Smoking. Changes. Nothing. You will still have these feelings along with losing what you have worked so hard to achieve. I could give up my 3.5 mth. quit in a heartbeat. I want to smoke every single day. I'm not going to do it, because it's not going to change anything. The only thing that changes is your health, and in my case, I will have let down so many people, and most importantly we mustn't let down ourselves. WE are the ones that count the most! I hope you didn't cave and threw that pack out. 

Hang tough. You can do this. I can do this. We ALL can do this!

Michele

Hi there Kayla. Quitting is WICKED TOUGH!!! 

Those cigarettes screwed up your brain chemistry and some of us do have a harder time with The Quit. We are all unique in how we cope with life's struggles. All I can say is to make an appointment with your doctor and perhaps he/she can suggest medications to help you with those depressive thoughts. I remember feeling very blue right up to month four and then my moods lifted. I was told that some receptors had shut down and these ups and downs in mood and zest would continue in waves as the months went by. The difference is as the months go by the intensity does lessen its just we get bored and frustrated with the painfully slow process. I got headaches and the blues right before more receptors were ready to shut down and I chose to believe all the long term quitters and hang in there. I'm glad I did as I just passed my 6th year quit. My emotions and my body chemistry all evened out and now I'm feeling awesome and free. It's great to get the drug addiction behind me and you can do this too. Stay busy, distract yourself to stop yourself from caving. It's totally normal to constantly think of smoking because the drug addict nicotine monster wants to be fed. Don't fall for it ever again because it's a trap that covers you in addiction once again. 

Stay close to your forum friends and go out to fun pleasant places where smoking isn't permitted anyways. Be proud of your monumental journey as you are breaking free once and for all. Show that nicotine monster who's the boss and tell him to aahhh shut up. stuck_out_tongue

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

June2019

Oct-18

K-

Here are some things I've found helpful in battling negative/depressive thoughts and insomnia (a good nite's sleep is so important to healing/recharging):

Regarding insomnia(getting to sleep and back to sleep), here are a couple of youtube videos with 10 hours of soothing sounds to bring on the zzzz's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujyu7tkyxtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXFslHOvZ8

Michael Seally has a youtube channel with guided meditations and supposed sleep hynosis for a variety of things, I find his voice soothing to fall asleep to:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vx8iUvfyCY

Many a nite I've nodded off with 2 video's playing: 1 white noise(rain/singing bowls/train) and 1 of a guided meditation.

DAILY AFFIRMATIONS - Ralph Marston's Daily Motivator site has short writings that helped gain a more positive perspective. There have been days where these messages really motivated me to get out of bed/keep going/stop feeling bad for myself:https://greatday.com/index.html

Again, what you're going thru stinks, but you are not alone. Here's to moving forward, not back!

• Edited October 18, 2019 12:11 pm  by  June2019