About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 15841 views.
slowblumer

Jun-10

Hi Tiny,

I don't think you are the only 'Juner' but so far the first to stop by the June Ex Smoker thread.  If I had a door prize you would be the winner:)  

Welcome back.  What's your quit date Tiny?  

slowblumer

Jun-10

Hi there ReQuitNo2,

So glad you are determined.  It doesn't matter how many times you fail, you keep at it and that's the important thing.

TinyBadger

Jun-10

I quit for 5 days and had one this morning. So back I go, today is a new day, with a fresh start. I'm using nrt, so that seems to help.

slowblumer

Jun-10

Hey Tiny,

Any day we don't smoke is a good day.   Your lungs thank you for 5 days straight.   That's a lot of cigs not smoked and chemicals not ingested.   

Keep trying.   Freedom from the need to smoke is worth it all.

TinyBadger

Jun-10

I totally agree with that article. The pros and cons are right on point. It's easy to slip into the hopelessness that feels like you'll never be able to quit. I've been there and it sucks. I'm going to have to read more articles on this site about quitting. I think information is key.

slowblumer

Jun-11

Hi Tiny,

This part below from the article still strikes me today - that I actually believed I was leaving happiness behind when I quit.  I could feel the poison's effect of smoking every morning with 'the cough' and reluctantly  decided to quit when I did. 

Nicotine addiction is powerful.   The first months of the quit, the first thing I thought of in the morning was an almost disappointment that I had quit.  It was like, why should I bother to get up(quitter's depression).  Then, one day along the way I didn't think of smoking when I woke up but later in the day.  That was a beginning.  These days I am so happy not to 'have to put those chemicals and that smoke into my lungs.  Keeping our eyes on the prize is the only way we can get free.   One day at a time you can do this.

'I believed I could never be truly happy as an ex-smoker. I now know that this belief was conditioned in me from a young age through my early experiences with smoking and constant advertising attacks by cigarette companies. I now know I need to question everything I ever thought I understood about smoking. I can be truly happy and healthy as an ex-smoker'.

DbAnne

Jun-11

You also have to question everything that is advertised. 

TinyBadger

Jun-11

I wish I could wake up in the morning happy to be a non-smoker. Mornings are the worst. I'm planning on sleeping in this weekend and going to brunch as a treat. I almost got up early enough to meditate this morning, but I would have been late. How do I wake up with excitement to be a non-smoker?

DbAnne

Jun-11

Don't smoke.

Honestly - you decide your frame of brain.  It is up to you if you are happy or not.  You should be pleased that you are able to make a choice that will make a difference in your life and the lives of all the people in your life. 

What if you were diagnosed with cancer - have to go to chemo and radiation, just to prolong your life and, you have to pay for all the meds and treatments yourself.  Then you have a reason to be sad. 

But today?  Today you have a choice.  Be happy you have a chance to make that choice.

Seriously,  its your responsibility to make your life better - even it it hurts.  Make the right choice and be happy you can and that you did, every single day.

• Edited June 11, 2020 4:43 pm  by  DbAnne