About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 15863 views.
slowblumer

Jun-11

Hi Tiny,

This part below from the article still strikes me today - that I actually believed I was leaving happiness behind when I quit.  I could feel the poison's effect of smoking every morning with 'the cough' and reluctantly  decided to quit when I did. 

Nicotine addiction is powerful.   The first months of the quit, the first thing I thought of in the morning was an almost disappointment that I had quit.  It was like, why should I bother to get up(quitter's depression).  Then, one day along the way I didn't think of smoking when I woke up but later in the day.  That was a beginning.  These days I am so happy not to 'have to put those chemicals and that smoke into my lungs.  Keeping our eyes on the prize is the only way we can get free.   One day at a time you can do this.

'I believed I could never be truly happy as an ex-smoker. I now know that this belief was conditioned in me from a young age through my early experiences with smoking and constant advertising attacks by cigarette companies. I now know I need to question everything I ever thought I understood about smoking. I can be truly happy and healthy as an ex-smoker'.

DbAnne

Jun-11

You also have to question everything that is advertised. 

TinyBadger

Jun-11

I wish I could wake up in the morning happy to be a non-smoker. Mornings are the worst. I'm planning on sleeping in this weekend and going to brunch as a treat. I almost got up early enough to meditate this morning, but I would have been late. How do I wake up with excitement to be a non-smoker?

DbAnne

Jun-11

Don't smoke.

Honestly - you decide your frame of brain.  It is up to you if you are happy or not.  You should be pleased that you are able to make a choice that will make a difference in your life and the lives of all the people in your life. 

What if you were diagnosed with cancer - have to go to chemo and radiation, just to prolong your life and, you have to pay for all the meds and treatments yourself.  Then you have a reason to be sad. 

But today?  Today you have a choice.  Be happy you have a chance to make that choice.

Seriously,  its your responsibility to make your life better - even it it hurts.  Make the right choice and be happy you can and that you did, every single day.

• Edited June 11, 2020 4:43 pm  by  DbAnne
slowblumer

Jun-11

In the early months of our quits I don't know if we can expect to wake up happy or excited to be a non smoker.  I sure wasn't. We have to go through the pain of the quit to get through it.  There are no shortcuts.    It takes time and patience and is a process.

DbAnne

Jun-12

I woke up absolutely elated that I had not been smoking and still wasn't each and every day since my quit, day one.  Just made me so happy that I had decided and did quit smoking (cold turkey).  My cravings or urges never came to me until late in the day.  When I smoked, I used to wake up and the first thing I would do is smoke.   I would smoke 5 cigarettes before I even got dressed to go to work.  Coughing and smoking.....ewwwwww

When I woke up after I quit, first thing I thought to myself was hay, I quit smoking - no smoking for me, oh my god its a miracle I quit.  See, I didn't miss smoking, I couldn't wait to get aware from it.  I hated smoking.  I went to bed every night so pleased with myself that I did not smoke that day.  The only morning I woke up feeling poorly is when I had a dream about smoking and thought I still had a cigarette in may hand.    Took me a few minutes to realize, phew, just a dream.  So happy.  

When I read about those people who are dying of cancer or other smoke related disease and wish they had decided to quit smoking - I am so relieved that I made that choice to quit and, knock wood, so far, I am healthy.  Happy, happy, happy, yes siree.

Cheers

slowblumer

Jun-12

DbAnne said:

When I woke up after I quit, first thing I thought to myself was hay, I quit smoking - no smoking for me, oh my god its a miracle I quit.  See, I didn't miss smoking, I couldn't wait to get aware from it.  I hated smoking.  I went to bed every night so pleased with myself that I did not smoke that day. 

You have a tremendous attitude!!   I am very glad you wake up so positive most everyday, it's the ultimate 'Mind Games go Both Ways', in practice.   It's such a mental thing when we quit.  Don't know how long you smoked but I was a 40+ year smoker.  When I quit it was half kicking and screaming and one of the most painful things I ever went through.   I needed every tool I could get my hands on including a nic inhaler and anti-depressant  medication.

Mind Games Go Both Ways When You Quit Smoking

DbAnne

Jun-12

Well, I smoked 45 years.  A pack a day, every day, sometimes more.  The only time I didn't smoke is the 9 months I was pregnant and the first year and a bit of my son's life.    

How much I smoked and for how long doesn't dictate my attitude or joy for quitting.  I choose my attitude and joy.  Just like when I chose to smoke way back when, I choose to not smoke and be exceedingly happy about not smoking.   I quit cold turkey and I've had withdrawal symptoms but, I have no remorse and do not miss smoking at all.  Not one bit.  Easy way to quit smoking - change your attitude.    I am very mindful of the fact that nicotine is extremely addictive so I know I cannot go anywhere near smoking a cigarette.  I feel very sorry for those that struggle to quit and feel even more sorry for those who have not yet chosen to quit.  I wish everyone a speedy recovery from quitting smoking.   I wake up every single morning since I quit, pleased as punch that I quit smoking. 

slowblumer

Jun-12

That's why this forum is so great..all kinds of people and ..all kinds of quits.

Best wishes in your quit.  You are doing great.

overdoz

Jun-12

Thats a great way to look at quitting, that you choose your attitude and joy for quitting. I have gotten on the quit bus again after relapsing after a 7 week quit, i went over the reasons i relapsed.. it all came down to putting myself in risky situations where i would feel stressed and possibly light up, i wasn't ready to be around other smokers, i thought i was..

I like the way you say you wake up every morning pleased as punch.., on  a side note i would not recommend to anyone relapsing you have to go through all the withdrawal pains from scratch, maybe im a massichist i dont know, but definitely dealing with my high risk situations and how i am going to deal with them in the future should help hopefully, seems like everything is high risk in the beginning. 

Overdoz quit 06-10-2020