About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

For my fellow patch people..   Quit Support

Started Jun-7 by Elizaquits; 2153 views.
TinyBadger

Jun-11

Thank you, I really needed to hear that. Its smoke break time for everyone but I'm staying in today so I don't have to see or smell them. I'll start taking walks soon, but the way out building is, and you can't smoke on the property, I'm pretty much forced to get near them if I want to walk the loop around the building. You can't leave the property for a break so I'm kind of stuck for now. I've got a lozenge in, and that helps. I'm going to try sleeping with the patch on, even though it does make me a little pink. I keep on telling myself how much I want to be free of this addiction and I just have to keep trying. I'm going to post a lot today, so be prepared to hear some hormones coming out.

euknight

Jun-11

Elizaquits said:

I used the 14mg for the recommended 2 weeks, and then over a weekend, went down to the 7mg. This time, I did not notice the difference! I was convinced I would, but for one reason or another I did not! Actually, there were a few days where I forgot to even put the patch on! I took this as a good sign :)

Thanks Eliza.  I am going to the 7mg patch tomorrow and appreciate you sharing the above.  I would be lying if I said I was not a little anxious.  I have been wearing the 14mg way over the 24 hours sometimes cos I just forget to change it out and have been ok with that most the time.

The only advice I would add is buy the name brand because they adhere better. (But they are stronger....I had a bad experience switching to them like Jeff)  If you are outside a lot, sweat, or swim use a waterproof tape with it.  This will make a big difference and you won’t waste patches.

Congrats  for coming off the patch successfully!  You go, girl!

Peggy

5-8-20

Elizaquits

Jun-12

Of course! I will keep reminding you! :)

How was the rest of your day/this morning? 

Elizaquits

Jun-12

Hey Peggy!

Let me know what you think of the 7mg, hopefully you wont notice much of a difference!

How is your quit going otherwise?

TinyBadger

Jun-12

I just made it 24 hours!!!!! And I even had time to make breakfast, now that I'm not smoking. This is good.

DbAnne

Jun-12

Excellent! Way to go!  Knew you could do it!  

Elizaquits

Jun-12

YAY!! 

Now we work towards 48!

euknight

Jun-12

Hi Eliza, 

Doing  good, thank you.   One day with 7 so far.  Just major tired today.  Took a nap. Better now.  We shall see. No craves to speak of

How are you doing now that you are finished?

Peggy

5-8-20

TinyBadger

Jun-12

So things are going well. My husband had his last cigarette 5 hours ago. He's doing great so far. It was so weird--i took that freedom from smoking class and it got cancelled due to covid. I did get 8 classes in, but today the group leader asked me for a quote about quitting smoking. I told her that I've been off and on cigarettes for months now. I'm no role model. She said that I am because I refuse to give up. She asked me if I found the class inspiring and helpful and I said yes. She told me that a few people from our class who have struggled are supplying quotes too. I guess it's to encourage people to take the class and to keep trying. The hospital I work for gives you an insurance discount for a few healthy habits, one of which is quitting smoking. You have to pass a blood test showing you are nicotine free, or take the class. As an aside, I signed up for the class before they dropped that rule. Anyhoo, I'm mulling over what to say. Pr department will be sending me a list of questions to answer via email on Monday. I plan on running the questions by you guys to see what everyone thinks. After all, I am no inspiration. You guys are my inspiration. You have all worked so hard. I truly appreciate you all.

Elizaquits

Jun-13

Tiny, 

Girl.. I am going to find you and shake some sense into you! STOP PUTTING YOURSELF DOWN!!!!!! Like your group leader said, you are a role model because of your resolve! In life, and in quitting we ALL get knocked down, what is most important, is that you get right back up and keep going! You are doing just that, and killing it!! Honestly, that is harder than quitting one time and having it stick right away. If it was that easy, everyone would do it! Unfortunately, is not that easy and that's why people don't quit - they try and it doesn't work the way they wanted and they give up. You keep getting back up to fight - and that is what is so special/commendable! Your inability to be deterred should be celebrated! That is some real strength right there, and what is inspiring. I hope you go ahead and submit a quote, I bet SO many people can relate to you and your story. Taking it one step further, I bet people will appreciate your honesty! There are probably other people in the group struggling who don't want to admit it, or think that because of the struggle they are weak or not meant to quit.. you having the courage to be real and talk about why quitting is hard will probably inspire them to be honest and share their experience! 

So, I am convinced you are an inspiration! I really mean it, and hope you are able to believe it! :) 

Yay for your hubby! Now you guys can keep each other accountable! And if someone slips, no worries, shake it off and keep going! 

Hold your head up high and keep us updated!! :)