About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Back again   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jun-17 by AliceMay5; 767 views.
AliceMay5

Jun-17

Been on here about 4 times, each month starting off on my quit smoking journey then failing.  When I fail I don't  come on here, but I suppose with your support, I should stay in touch.  This  time listened to Allan Carrs, "Easy Way" for the 10th time.  Started off  okay without NRT but then had to go on it.  Better to be on NRT than to fail again.  It is now five days since I last smoked or drank alcohol so feeling good about myself.  Have the "Smoke Free" app on my phone and find it really good as it tells you how much you saved and health benefits.  The money is a big thing for me as I am on the pension, but have a little savings.  Before I stopped this time I had spent $482 dollars in one week on cigs and alcohol.  Just can't keep on using my savings to only make me sick and very poor.  I am determined this time to not do this anymore.  It will be great to be in the  June ex-smokers club.  Will be back tomorrow!

DbAnne

Jun-17

Good, come back every day.  I check in every single day.  For some reason, it helps to share.  

Cheers

48yrsmokin

Jun-19

Come back to the NOPERS club as much as you can and do the Pledge Sounds corny but got me thru those later months. When the little guy in my head was still at work trying to get me back on the pack. Just say Nope as much as you can. 9 Months in and urges are still there just a lot easier to blow them off.

TinyBadger

Jun-19

Congratulations on 9 months! I'm very proud of you!

modanjim

Jun-19

Congrats on 9 months!   Cant wait to get there.   Taking it one day at a time, as some days are harder than others.

Maureen

04/15/2020

overdoz

Jun-19

I have the smoke free app also, it helps to see the money pile up that were saving. I made it 7 weeks and past 2 weeks have been kinda bumpy been smoking on and off, but trying to hop on the train again, its day 2 again. The other day i had made it 2 days and then bummed a few. I also stopped drinking about 2 months now, had slipped and had one beer, but yeah quitting both at once is a lot to do, but watching that money pile up feels good, I just try to remind myself that not everybody is on the same page. 

Overdoz quit 06-18-2020

48yrsmokin

Jun-20

Thanks all it does feel good. When I was at your 2 month quit time it was the longest I had quit time in many many years and now it's 9 months. Time flies and hope it does for you too stay the course Be a NOPER frequently and regularly IT WORKS. If it's not for you find something that will work for you                                                                                                                           Been a NOPER since 10-17-2019

Douglas8845

Jun-20

Hi Alice,

You can do this! I stopped smoking on July 23rd, 2012, so in just under one month i will celebrate my 8th year as a nonsmoker.   I've saved $26,137.16 on cigarettes, not  counting the drive to and from the gas station nor  the time value of the drives or time spent actually smoking.  I feel much better overall and cherish no longer being a fool squandering my health and $$$$ on smokes.  You can do this!

Loreficent

Jun-23

So, did you use this forum back then? Maybe you’ve said that somewhere already but I don’t recall, I’m sorry.

Every day of success is a celebration really, but do you celebrate the anniversary yearly? Kind of like a second birthday or something maybe. Maybe it takes getting to a full year to really get it and understand the significance and have that sense of freedom kick in. I’m still hoping for that. The day to day going at it is definitely easier than the first few weeks were. Still...would be nice to just go to sleep this first year and wake up and have it be gone without question. I think the hard part about having a couple of slips is not being able to look back and say “I just did it”. Also though, it is important to not let those slips erode the view going forward by overthinking them. Still...always most admirable to see what can be done. Thanks again for coming back. 

Douglas8845

Jun-23

Hi Lori,

I probably came here every day to see how people were doing, how some were coping, different strategies and all that.  It was comforting to see how my struggle was pretty much like everyone else's.  Sometimes I would be having a really bad day, and coming here helped.. knowing I wasn't alone, happy to remain on the wagon, happy I survived a really bad crave.

For the first several years I celebrated my anniversary.  It was always the same, dinner at PF Chang's at the same time. I would make sure I got there and was seated by 6:15PM to request a glass of Merlot. I would only take my first sip at 6:26 PM, which was the moment I put out my last cigarette on July 23, 2012.  I did that for several years.  After a while, being a nonsmoker was the new normal and stopped celebrating.  In a way I missed doing that, but in another, it just showed how normal it had become to not smoke.

I loved my first twelve months, when I was learning at every turn how to not smoke.. all the holidays, crisis, joyful events, sad events.. had to do everything with no smokes.  It was tough, but so worth it, so memorable.

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I can think about how I quite smoking... and the day becomes a little bit better.