About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

14 years smoke-free today :)   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jul-24 by Liv2day; 1154 views.
Liv2day

Jul-25

Hi Marge & thank you so much for your well-wishes.
Grateful reflection seems to be how I now celebrate these milestones, which for me, deepens my commitment to stay on course.

Have yourself a great weekend :)

arlcruise

Jul-25

So good to hear. The light that IS at the end of the tunnel.... Thanks,,,,,

Jatchat

Jul-25

Wow! Congratulations! 14 years that's great, thanks for popping in and sharing, it really does break down to minute by minute and then adding them together especially in the early stages.

Kind regards

Anthony

Lyney

Jul-26

Wow 14 years seems like a lifetime, congratulations! Thanks for coming to support us with your message of hope, it's really inspiring for people like me. I'm on day 27 which is very early in my quit, and I'm taking it one day at a time. Thanks!

In reply toRe: msg 11
Liv2day

Jul-26

Thank you all for your posts, that was very kind of you. :)

A special note to Lyney....

a big congrats to you on 27 days... That is huge accomplishment!
Just remember.... from the very moment you quit, you have given yourself a very precious gift..... and it will continue to become even more precious as you add more time. I’m not sure if I can word this right to get my point across, but I really want you to know that your 27 day quit is as Complete as my 14 years.... The only difference is time.... and time is just that... time. Does that make sense?
So, keep doing what you have been doing, take to heart the N.O.P.E. Pledge... which is a very powerful, yet simple tool.... if we don’t ever take that “one” puff, we never have to concern ourselves with packs, cartons or becoming addicted all over again. Take it from someone that made that mistake a long time ago.
You should be very proud of what you have accomplished... just think, your first month milestone is just around the corner! :)

Lubbercat

Jul-29

My quit is going slowly, one day at a time!  LOL  But, for today, I am on my 21st day and determined, in the midst of highly stressful times in my life, to continue through today (week 3) and start on week 4 tomorrow!

Liv2day

Jul-29

Hi Lubbercat

congrats on completing your 3rd week!  The early days are certainly the toughest times, so give yourself some big “YAY ME’s!” :).  Our bodies & brains go through so many changes at the beginning, it can be very difficult at times... Especially, if you have other stressors going on in your life. Keep in mind though, that you are going to look back on this someday & really feel the pride of quitting at what seemed like the most difficult time to do so. That will make your quit feel even more cherished :)  Keep up the good fight Lubbercat...it truly IS worth it. Keep your focus on making the right choices moment to moment, and soon they will add up to some very impressive numbers :)

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one single step.

arlcruise

Jul-30

Stress when early into the quit is a bummer. I live in a seaside village and have 4 cats who roam the lands. Day 4, one of my cats walked in the house looking like a monster, her right side of her face was swollen like a balloon. I had not seen her for a couple of days, and when I saw her I jumped and my heart sank. Taking her to a vet and the ensuing process stretched my strength chords to the breaking points I tell ya. A couple mantra things I repeat are "will the cigarette help the problem", no. "will I start smoking again if I give in to just one" guaranteed yes. What I have seen here that boggles my mind, is those who have quit, and stay quit, while living with a smoker! That is astonishing. Absolutely mind melting.

14 years, that's AMAZING! Thank you for the encouragement!

One question for you: how long did it /really/ take you to be fully free and clear and healed from nicotine and quitting it? I've heard 14, 16, and 18 months, and I'm hungry for more data. Please help me build a more accurate picture!

Molly010

Aug-1

Congrats on 14 years!  I hit 2 years today and it feels great.  So glad I did it.  Thanks for coming back and inspiring us.  :)