About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cold Turkey   General Chit-Chat

Started Jul-29 by Anne2020; 1016 views.
In reply toRe: msg 13
Anne2020

Aug-20

Has anyone experienced the coughing up of tar after quitting?  I understand it can be quit gruesome after years of smoking.

June2019

Aug-21

hey, Anne-

I saw your q on phlegm in another thread - here's my deal: I quit VAPING cold turkey 6/13/19 - i vaguely recall coughing up phlegm around the 2-4 week mark, but honestly, staying quick absorbed more of my focus than the 'side effects' if you will. I vaped for 7 years (I think????) with the thought that vaping would 'help me quit' - i won't comment on the legitimacy of that assumption here :)

anyhoot - i took the coughing up phlegm stage as proof i was quitting/cleansing my system, so it didn't phase me much----'cause at 2-4 weeks (and up to 8 months honestly) it was a a mental effort just to stay quit.

wishing you the best-

Anne2020

Aug-24

I get like that a bit too from time to time.  Romanticizing the smoking - thinking how I much I thought I like it.  But when you get around other people who do smoke and the smell is just so harsh - and chokes you out to almost gagging - it kills the romance pretty darn quick.  

I have to admit to getting allot more out of a bag of chips or an orange sherbet these days than smoking cigarettes.  I don't even crave the things anymore at all and its only been almost 8 months.   Soon I hope to start breathing better so I can start long walks and lose some of this weight I put on.    I am glad I am cough up the phlegm.  I guess I will be stuck with that for awhile.  

Stay strong fellow quitters.  It is so worth it to replace the smoke with air. 

xvaper

Aug-25

Thank you for your encouragement of others. I am 56 days in. I still have romanticizing thought, but the cravings are less and less.

I think my big hurdle will the mental one, getting over the perceived social 'benefits' of smoking. The camaraderie of the smokers who step outside to smoke and have the more interesting conversations, the 'coolness' of it , that is so engrained in my brain from growing up in the 80's, when the cultural messaging about cigarettes was so different than today. I quit cold turkey after years of smoking and vaping. I hope to be in your place 8 months from now!

Anne2020

Sep-15

Just checking into see how you are doing.  I am good - 8 months and 2 weeks.  Still coughing up allot of phlem and constantly short of breath.   Otherwise, doing good.