About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

HELP! PLEASE! Stuck on 1 a day.    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 3/29/21 by Darjeeling50; 835 views.
Nope62

3/29/21

Welcome!

I also quit one January 1st. I had many unsuccessful quits before that.

Find something to do when you have a craving! There are many things you can do to take your mind off the craving until it passes. Make a list of the reasons you quit in the first place. Keep it handy, and read it over and over when craving.

The depression is normal early in your quit! You may not realize it, but your brain is telling you that you have lost your best friend ( so to speak). Your brain wants it's nicotine fix and will do anything it can to get it.

I've never heard of a 3.5 MG patch. That is not going to be of any help! The smallest I've ever seen was a 7 MG patch. Please explain what a 3MG E-Cig is? That is also a very small dosage from what I've read. Is 3 MG the amount of nicotine in the juice? 

If you are smoking one cigarette per day, you are doing nothing but torturing yourself. Going through withdraw after withdraw!

You Can do this! You are causing your own stress and panic attacks by not having a good quit plan!

Please write back and lets talk about it!

Be Strong! 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Darjeeling50

3/29/21

Thank you for your help. I divide in half a 7mg patch as the whole patch makes me nauseous. The liquid/juice in the e-cig contains 3mg of nicotine. 

I understand your comment about torturing myself and constantly creating withdrawal symptoms and I agree. I do have a list of reasons but I forget to get to it when a craving hits. Anne2020 suggests quitting cold turkey which I've tried before but relapsed every time.

I live alone and I'm not a social/family oriented person. You're also right about considering the cigarette my friend. But I came to realise it's a narcissistic friend. Even though, I'm weak when tired and depressed and oftentimes tearful. I have had enough feeling like a failure and truly wish to succeed.

I am interested in a better quitting smoking plan as mine is flawed. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you and to Anne2020 for reaching out, I feel less alone.

Darjeeling50

3/29/21

Thank you for your comment. I have tried cold turkey in the past but relapsed every time, hence the patch and e-cig.

You're right about the nicotine, and I think I'm afraid to be without it. 

KatieKat84

3/29/21

Hi,

I’m sorry you’re stuck in this cycle. Nicotine addiction is very powerful, it gets into all aspects of your life and makes you feel like you need it to survive. The good news is you really don’t need it!

I also had fatigue and low mood when I quit - for the first few months at least. It really does get better and it’s so worth all the struggle and hard work.

There’s a lovely supportive group of people on this forum who have just quit - maybe that could help to come on here when you need friendly support? If you can find the thread called ‘March 2021 ex-smokers start here’, that’s where they are hanging out :)

Also the very first post in that thread from Terry has lots of useful info, including ‘Homework for new ex smokers’ which has some great articles. They say an educated quit is a successful quit and I think that’s true.

Good luck - I wish you every success!

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

Anne2020

3/29/21

You are important.  You do not need nicotine for anything.  What you think you get from nicotine is what you actually what when you quit nicotine.   Read the articles in this forum and you will find many who can help you to understand what quiting smoking will do for you and just how wonderful it is to be free of this drug addiction.

Cheers!       

Loreficent

3/29/21

Hey there,

Yes it can feel overwhelming. I understand the cold turkey trepidation, and I also understand the value in it. It sounds like you are at a point of pretty low nicotine intake and at a point where folks who use NRT would be where the plan would be to discontinue use. Perhaps it will help to look at it that way? Folks who use the patch go down to 7mg for a couple of weeks and then to nothing. You’ve been at half that for some time, right? So...next step is the next step. Anne is also right in the sense that you are kind of torturing yourself over and over. Look at this as recovery. Right now you are chasing your tail a bit. You sound really frightened about what will happen when you stop completely at this point. Well, you will be free from the torture you are doing to yourself now! That is really what it will be! You won’t fizzle and shrivel and die from not having that one smoke. Maybe just make up your mind and say you are going to not have it, or you are gonna stay where you are. Commit. You can and we are here for support. Delay. When you normally have that one, come here and write first. Write out why you really think you need it. Sometimes when we see things in writing, we can make more sense of things and you might be surprised to see you don’t want it as much as you were initially thinking.

Here is a link to a book that really helps with explaining the addiction piece of this. He is a very strong cold turkey advocate, but the education about the addiction and all the other aspects apply no matter which method you go about this as long as you commit to recovery. We will be here to help later when you write out about the one you feel is needed!

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html#html

Darjeeling50

3/29/21

Thank you for your support and the tips. I will follow through to the March threads. Weird thing is that I can quit coffee, wine, dairy, bad relationships (personal or work ), etc, but the cigarette... 

I did hope to feel more energetic but didn't expect to feel tired and depressed. I suppose it's something we have to go through before being better. 

Thank you for sharing.

Nina

Darjeeling50

3/29/21

I read one of your comment where you shared how one day you woke up and didn't smoke. I'm so happy for you. I will keep your experience in mind and associate with it usinork.

And than thank you for your kind motivational words.

Nina

Darjeeling50

3/29/21

'So...next step is the next step' 

Hello, 

So true! I didn't see it that way. People go from 7mg to 0mg. Anne2020 suggested cold turkey but it wouldn't be as I'm down to 3.5mg. I felt 

'You sound really frightened about what will happen when you stop completely at this point.' yes I am terrified. Yet I've managed to go through some really tough situations the past 3 months and not smoke. The little voice in my head just said to me: 'bloody woman!'. And I get it! I'm confused, scared, a paradox and more.

I can see myself succeeding with the support from people on this forums though. Tomorrow looks brighter. 

Cheers.

Nina

Nope62

3/29/21

I'm glad that you got all these very helpful posts! Most of the people here have experience at quitting and some have even been quit for years! All of us here have been exactly where you are at. There is not a person here that you can't trust to be on your side.

Please do not use those patches in the way you are using them. It says clearly in the instructions not to cut them! The reason for that is because it messes the dosage rate up. You could be getting the wrong amount for a different amount of time. If you cannot tolerate a 7 MG patch, then the patch is not the NRT you should be using. I have used them many times over the years. I can't tolerate the 21 mg patch, it make me sick. So I always start off on the 14 MG.

As for the E-cigarette, I'm not even sure that you can say you have quit smoking if you are Vaping. Vaping is just the same product in a different package. I've even read where Big Tobacco owns some of the larger vaping supply companies. We have people here who are using this forum to quit vaping.

Anne2020 is correct, you are trying to quit smoking by still getting your nicotine fix from somewhere else. That won't work! I understand that you think you can't quit cold turkey.  I did it last year for 31 days. Sure it was hard, but it wasn't any harder than any other way I've tried.  In the end you still have to break the nicotine addiction cycle to be successful. Please do read all about nicotine addiction, as was suggested by others here.  Knowledge is the key!

Think about how you want to quit! What method do you want to use?  NRT such as patches,gum, lozenges ect. or Chantix, Wellbutrin, cold turkey, etc.

Once you have decided to commit to quitting nicotine, we will work on a quit date and a quit plan for that date. Quitting smoking is not a race, it's a journey!  I have the feeling that you are young. You will never do anything better for yourself than to quit smoking now!  Take that from a 50 year smoker!

Good Luck!

• Edited March 29, 2021 8:15 pm  by  Nope62