About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ex smoker for 6 years and relapsed smoking for 5 years   Quit Support

Started Sep-27 by Lee.T; 1880 views.
Mercy (mercy164)

Oct-1

Hi Anne,

Thank you so much. I needed to hear a lot of that. It really helped. I do need to think  of this as my first quit and be fully ready. I see where I am not. I feel stronger now just getting in the right mindset.

Have a great day!

Lee.T

Oct-1

Hi Mercy. I regret it so badly and I know our worry is because our quit was new and exciting the first time will we be able to do it again. I see many have . My quit day was today and battled but it came and went however my plan is to read that Alsn Carr book again and it insists you smoke while reading it so as much I have been 'OK" up to now but know I have had to puff on that twist that it's going to be harder. So because of the book and as much as I dont want that smoke I'm going to smoke while reading that book to the end. Am sure it's  going to do its wonders again for me. Have you read the Alan Carr The Easy Way to Quit Smoking?

Lee.T

Oct-1

If you have not read the book Anne2020 on this forum has the link for it. Do give it ago so worth it.

In reply toRe: msg 12
Anne2020

Oct-1

Always happy to pass along this link - Allan Carr's Easy way to quit smoking.   

http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

There is also a good link to a full articles 'Why Quit', but I do not have the link.  Hopefully another member can pass that along to you.  The site is called 'Why Quit'.  It is also an excellent source of information.

Finally, I think Allan Carr want's you smoke while reading his book because while you read, all the myths that you have created in your mind about smoking seem to fade the more your read.  At least it did with me.  Cigs tasted awful by the end.  

You guys can do this!!! Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to yourself.  Quiting is the single most important thing you can do for yourself. 

Cheers!!!

In reply toRe: msg 11
Mercy (mercy164)

Oct-1

No, I have not. I will give it a look. I hope your day is a success : ). Thank you for writing.

Mercy

CindiS319

Oct-1

Here's the link to Why Quit:

https://whyquit.com/

Since there's so much on here, the following are a couple of the articles that had a huge impact on my quit:

https://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_04_11_Smokers_Vow.html

https://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_04_16_just_one_puff.html

In reply toRe: msg 15
CindiS319

Oct-1

This one really hit be hard:

https://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_04_16_just_one_puff.html

I smoke for over 35 years and probably tried to quit 4 or 5 times.  Like someone said, I would get bored and the newness wore off and I didn't have the strength to fight the cravings anymore.  I felt like something was missing or that I was giving up something.  They were my comfort...my friend... who I went to when I was tired, sad, bored, hungry, happy, angry, etc. 

My last time was different though because I somehow changed my mindset.  I got so ANGRY... at Big Tobacco, at society, at myself... for being an addict.  I treated my last quit like coming off an addiction instead of changing a habit.  When cravings would hit, I would put myself in detox mode... lots of deep breathing, reading the forum, watching videos (horrible ones about cancer), reading articles on whyquit or verywellbeing (which I think I read every article at least five times), take a walk, anything to distract... and in the worst cases, I'd just go to bed or take a nap.  Anything to get me through that moment... then at some point, the moments get shorter and not so strong, and eventually just went away.  Cigarettes were not my "friend" or "release"...I tried to find other things to replace that feeling and couldn't find anything.  Eventually, you realize you don't need that "feeling"... it was just a false high that you thought you needed to cope and survive.  I looked at people that never smoked and tried to figure out what they did to get that feeling.  Now I know you just don't need it... life is normal without it.  I didn't even know that since I had smoked since I was 12.  I didn't know life as an adult without smoking.  I had to learn all of it.  But, it just shows, it can be done and I'm so glad I pushed through all those horrible times, because they truly were horrible.  I know y'all can do this... just keep moving forward and don't look back.

Anne2020

Oct-1

Hey Cindi, I completely relate to that article.  That is exactly how I treated the whole process.  Like an addiction, as if I were addicted to crack.  To me, it was same thing.  I built the same resolve - I was not going down as a crack/cigarette addict.  I believed I could overcome the addiction and stay the course.  Also why I never even think of even one puff.  Crack addicts, heroin addicts - go back and die.  If I go back, I will die too.  Not going there.

Also, it was a whole new world for me and still is.  I smoked since I was about 11 or 12 so being a non-smoking adult is new.  Something to take away from any boredom.  Anytime I feel like I am in a rut, now I can remind myself that hey, at least I quit smoking.  I like that. 

Thanks for sharing it Cindi - really does hits home.   

• Edited October 1, 2021 1:13 pm  by  Anne2020
In reply toRe: msg 1
blackbird912

Oct-1

Lee,  I am right there with you.  I started smoking again.  It’s been my 1st 24 hours for the millionth time. I came here today after a few months absent.  I got too comfortable with the quit but my quit wasn’t that long.  My quits feel like they are shorter and shorter.  So….I will never give up on this nicotine addiction.  Hugs to you for speaking out.  I needed to hear I was and am not alone.

oxanquits

Oct-1

Welcome back, Chris, glad you’re back. How have you been?