About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quit Day Prep   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 10/7/21 by kern3; 1666 views.
In reply toRe: msg 9
Anne2020

10/15/21

Quitting smoking is a journey that is unique to each individual quitting.  Do what you need to do, to keep yourself from lighting up that smoke.  You are in control of you.  Your fight is with yourself.  Look in the mirror and tell yourself what you are doing and why you are doing it.  Every time you think  you are losing the battle,  go look in the mirror and talk to yourself again.  Give yourself credit where credit is due as well.  When you avoid lighting up, go look in the mirror and tell yourself how proud you are of you and pat yourself on the back.   

There are tons of articles in this forum to remind you of the magnitude of what you are doing and why you are doing it.  Read the articles, correspond with folks on this forum who either are going through what you are or have gone through what you are. 

You are not alone, but you alone have to do this, and you do it for yourself.   Of all the things that you have had to do, this is the most important thing you can do for your health and the health of your family and friends.  Don't hold back.  Now is the time to really show yourself what you are made of.  You can do this!!!

Cheers       

In reply toRe: msg 1
kern3

10/15/21

It's not been easy - these last couple of days.  The best way to describe it is.... it's like having a bunch of pop up ads in your head with the deal of the century that all you have to do is smoke! For example...getting into my car, I had a thought cross my mind that if I smoked a cigarette than I will not have to deal with traffic or a line at the grocery store - only if I smoked. This drug is insidious. I almost feel like I could get a better deal from the devil. 

I keep reminding myself - Anything worth anything shouldn't come easy.

In reply toRe: msg 14
Denim50

10/18/21

Hey Kern, 

Unfortunately addiction often plays mind games with us when we quit. They can sometimes seem a bit overwhelming or even exhausting unless we change those thoughts. Left as they are they can lead to those thoughts of ‘just one’ if we aren’t careful and find us back full on smoking again. I’ll leave you a couple of articles here of ways to help combat and change those thoughts. Also, try to stay in the moment and take your quit one day, one hour, one minute at a time if necessary. Quitting isn’t easy but it is doable and you can do it. Remember to stay close to the forum, read, post, and join in. There’s so much support here. If you ever feel as though you’re going to cave into a craving please post three times at least three minutes apart first to give someone here a chance to respond and try to help you. You should also consider joining the ‘October Ex-Smokers 2021’ thread. While we all post all over the forum, these threads provide us with a home base and quit buddies who are at the same stage of smoking cessation as ourselves and who are often experiencing or going through many of the same things. I wish you the best with your quit and I look forward to seeing you around the forum. 

Have a great day.  

In reply toRe: msg 14
Denim50

10/20/21

Hey Kern, 

I just wanted to check back with you and ask, how are you doing with your quit? You were having such a difficult time and now, going by your quit date of the 11th, you should have already reached your first week milestone. We haven’t heard from you since the 15th though. Were you able to maintain your quit? I hope that you were. If you need support with your quit please remember to post. As you’ve seen from Dan, Diana, Anne, Lubbercat, and xvaper, there’s a lot of great support here. I hope things are a bit better for you today. I wish you the best with your quit and look forward to hearing where you’re at with it. 

Have a great day.  

• Edited October 20, 2021 2:18 pm  by  Denim50
kern3

10/20/21

Thank you, for checking in.  I'm still struggling and always have quitting on my mind.  I just started a new work from home position and I'm adjusting to that change as well. I have still tapered down and only evened out a couple of times on my cigarette consumption. Either way, I've recommitted to my full quit for this Friday.

In reply toRe: msg 17
Denim50

10/22/21

Hey Kern, 

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and on your new job. I wish you all the best with both. That’s quite a bit you’ve got going on. Did you manage to start your quit today? If so, how is it going? If not, please let us know that too. By posting where you’re at with your quit, it not only provides you with support for it but it also let’s us know how best to support you with it. Stay close, read, post, and join in. We’re happy to have you here with us. 

Have a great day.  

kern3

10/22/21

Thank you, once again.  I didn't smoke zero but made progress and only smoked 3 today.  My biggest problem is patience, so far.  I also need to learn how to ask for help and work on a suggestion in one of my readings of posting if I want to smoke then wait for 3 responses.

• Edited October 23, 2021 9:16 am  by  slowblumer
In reply toRe: msg 19
Jatchat

10/24/21

Patience ,perseverance, character, hope a well known biblical phrase, I struggle with patience also kern, I have found that diverting your attention away from the main task while maintaining abstinence works for me, I exercise regularly and eat wholesome foods, fruit and nuts feature heavily in my diet, and I always have a plan for what I will do on the day, no matter how trivial. Good luck with your quit

Kind regards

Anthony