About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

To me 2   Quit Support

Started Jun-26 by candrew; 12790 views.
gaylesybil

Jul-20

Hi,

I've perused this forum a lot, but never posted.

I'm a longtime heavy smoker (age 13 to 63) who has never even tried to quit.  Now I have to least temporarily, because I am having hip replacement surgery in a few weeks and will be in hospital for 24 hours.  I smoke in part to deal with anxiety and insomnia, and my anxiety is sky high right now.  My GP won't give me anything for the anxiety, although I do have sleeping pills, but they don't work very well.

I am feeling scared, more than anything.  Scared I'm going to lose my mind.

Can't even use the patch the day of surgery, so I'll have to go 24 hours without nicotine.

Badly needing help and support.

Jerthie123

Jul-20

I feel for you.  I think fear is what anyone would feel in your shoes.  Pray.  Give your fear and anxiety to God, our Lord Jesus Christ.  You will get through it. You are not alone!

Anne2020

Jul-21

Hello there G,

I think you will find that it is much easier to not smoke than you realize.  Distract yourself every time an urge to smoke comes up.   Start now - every other urge to smoke, do something else.  Take a hot bath, enjoy some chocolate or a cold ice tea.  Do anything to distract yourself away from having that cigarette.  I thought I could never give up smoking.  I would panic whenever I got down to 10 cigs in pack.   When I quit (cold turkey) it was so easy I was so surprised.  If you can get past the first three (3) days, you are on your way.  

Start practicing control over your reaction to cravings to smoke.  When you get a craving, try putting it off a bit.  Don't let the smoke be your master -   you be the master of it.  

One thing many people have done, seems to help - take some Halls throat lozenges and, once they get going in your mouth , try breathing air through a plastic straw.  The coolness will wash over your throat and give you that sensation that you get from smoking.

You can do this! 

Msg 7071.69 deleted
candrew

Jul-23

I put a post out on the forum by mistake - is there a way to delete it?

Under To Me 2

message 60 0f 69

can you help?

SusanK1960

Jul-23

Hi Andrew

Next to the reply button in the lower right corner of the box is an arrow pointing down.  It has delete option

Denim50

Jul-24

Hey gaylesybil, 

We're happy to have you joining us. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you're having to undergo surgery. I hope it goes well and wish you the best with it. Some smokers do feel scared at the thought of quitting. Anxiety and insomnia both can be signs of nicotine withdrawal. So, try to stay in the moment and not to look too far ahead, as that can sometimes cause added stress or anxiety that you don't need starting out. Take each day as it comes, one hour, one minute at a time. Anne is right about the fact that straws can be useful. Some find that drinking ice water through a straw helps. However when I was quitting, I found that taking a white straw and cutting it about the same length as a cigarette and holding it as I held a cigarette helped. The reason being, it was white like a cigarette, about the same diameter, and at that point (after being cut) was about the same weight and length too. One of my biggest issues, because like you I too smoked for multiple decades, was just missing having one in my hand. The straw helped with that. Plus if I forgot and put it to my mouth so what, it was only a straw. Another great thing about it too was that I could keep them with me even in places where smoking wasn't permitted. Anne gave you great advice about using distraction. Distraction is a great tool for cessation. Also, if you feel you're going to cave into a craving you can also come here for support. Post at least three times, three minutes apart. This will give someone here a chance to respond and to try to help. It will also allow time for the craving to pass. Quitting isn't easy but it is doable. It's also so worth it and more importantly, and I say this often, YOU are worth it. I'll leave some helpful and informative articles here for you too. I wish you the best toward your quit, your surgery, and for a speedy recovery. Post anytime. We're all here for you and each other. 

Best wishes. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Denim50

Jul-24

Andrew, 

I'm so sorry I missed this but happy that Susan was able to assist you with it. 

Denim50

Jul-24

Hey Susan, 

Thank you so much for assisting Andrew with that. It's great appreciated.