About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

To me 2   Quit Support

Started 6/26/22 by candrew; 13776 views.
In reply toRe: msg 80
gaylesybil

7/26/22

I'll add that I have never thought of quitting, it just has never seemed possible.

However, the seed has now been planted.  I'm going to have to cut way way back after surgery due to the risk of infection.  That may give me some confidence.  

I'm embarrassed to be 63 and still smoking, TBH.  Very embarrassed.

Jerthie123

7/26/22

Hey.... It's okay and it's admirable to start anew at any age... Especially an older age. It does make it harder but it also makes it more special. I say.. Make your quit as special and meaningful as you can. Use the quit aids some of the girls provided for you, and then to that add your own personal touch. I also recommend you pray and give all of your fear and anxiety over to God.  As well, give Him the hopeful vision of a new smoke free life. If you do not have a vision for a smoke free life, then stay where you are with a cutting down life. Does cutting down make you feel more secure and stable? Is it more doable? That is where I am at G.  I cannot quit altogether, so I am sucking on 6 lozenges a day until I can. Last week I was going through a lot emotionally and bought a pack of smokes and smoked four of them in half an hour, then threw out the pack. I felt relieved to smoke at first.. But after the third one, I once again felt depleted, defeated, and a hopelessness of once again being a slave... Not ever being free! Have you thought about what it means to be free G? Have you thought about whether you are happier smoking? Or would you LOVE to start envisioning little by little a cutting down lifestyle? I encourage you to cut down and at the same time, while you are cutting down, pray and envision what a life smoke free life could be! G... That is what I am doing... Using nicotine lozenges while NOT smoking. While NOT giving up. While coming to this forum to receive encouragement and give back encouragement! Do not lose hope G! Will write more later!

JavaNY

7/26/22

Look at the various options when you get a chance. I tried cutting back several times and to tell the truth, it never worked for me. It seems to make me think about smoking more.

Best with everything,

Paul 

gaylesybil

7/26/22

I love smoking, and consider it one of life's greatest pleasures.   I'm a writer/editor, and smoking has been my companion for many years, going back to the age of typewriters.

So, to leave it behind will like losing a lover.  There will be grief.

I do okay on the patch, actually.

But my immediate concern is my upcoming surgery.  I will not be able to smoke for about two days.  Or use a patch.  

Quite frankly, I'm terrified.  And it's coming up in two weeks.

SusanK1960

7/26/22

Hi,

Three days. In three days, you will be free of nicotine.  While it is considered a pleasure, it is in fact an addiction.  When you are withdrawing and you take those puffs, you feel better because you have satisfied the withdrawal symptoms. I agree it is a pleasure, however by its real identity, it is addiction.

Start with three days.  No nicotine. It will be rough, but it is the addiction screaming at you.  Let it scream.  Drink ice water thru a straw. There are lots of stories here of people having the same fears, thoughts, etc.  Believe in yourself!  We believe in making the impossible possible!

JavaNY

7/26/22

Don't be terrified. You will be occupied in the hospital. Filling out forms, having your pressure checked 90 times, being prepped, so hopefully you don't think of smoking so much. And if you can get by 2 days, try to make it a week. 

Loreficent

7/28/22

Have you tried Chantix? 
There may still be time for that. 
This is gonna be one of those things in life to just do. Those 48 hours are gonna go by whether you smoke or not. I honestly think there will be so much more going on for you that it will not be as bad as you are imagining now.

modCindi (CindiS319)

7/28/22

Excellent post and SO TRUE!  As time continued to pass without smoking, I felt very empowered.  It is a great feeling to overcome something that has had a hold and control on your life for so long.

candrew

7/28/22

Wow! So many responses. I think that shows how much we all care. Knowing that this is such a big deal, we wish you the best in your efforts. I like yourself I absolutely loved smoking. Couldn't imagine life without sucking on my cigs one after the other. Woke up with one, went to bed with one, got up at all hours in the night sucking on 1-2-3 cigs before going back to bed. To say the least, I was a hopeless addict. 

No one likes to admit that they are out of control, but I have been out there most of my adult life. Never thought cigs were doing me any harm (denial, big time). Until I landed in the hospital on ICU/Life Support on a breathing machine did I even consider the remote possibility that I might want to stop the smoking. It still took me 2 years later to wake up,

Even though I "woke up" I continue to smoke. What's the deal? I have been sincerely trying to stop for the past 3 years. That is when I started visiting this site. It has been a Godsend to me. The minute I think I want to have a smoke my quit buddies are there encouraging me to rethink my decision. I have no less than 20 people that are there for me always and whenever I need them. I encourage you to connect with the community, All good people!

Good day,

Andrew

Smoke free for 10 weeks tomorrow July 29th

modCindi (CindiS319)

7/28/22

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on our 2 weeks!  I know this was a little time ago so I'm hoping you're still hanging in there.  Denim is my Quit Sister (as we quit on the same day in 2018) and she is amazing in her support of others.  Just reaching out to let you know that there are more of us that are supporting and rooting for you.  I haven't checked in as much as I've like lately so I, unfortunately, don't know your story but the posts I have read from you have been so supportive of others.  I'm hoping you're still noping and hanging tough.