Column/Articles -  The Cocoanut Grove Fire (48 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 

The Cocoanut Grove Fire was a nightclub fire in the United States.

The deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, the Cocoanut Grove nightclub burned on November 28, 1942, killing 492 people.

EDITOR'S NOTE  fire

My hands are trembling all over this typewriter keyboard as the reaction sets in to a night of almost indescribable horror.

I "covered" the Cocoanut Grove fire which was one of the worst conflagrations in this Nation's history and certainly the worst nightclub fire.

AP Was There: Cocoanut Grove nightclub fire kills 492

The Canadian Press November 28, 2017

The flames began, witnesses said, in or around an artificial palm tree in a downstairs lounge of a Boston nightclub full of an estimated 1,000 people. It took less than two minutes for flames and heat to roar upstairs.

Some patrons of the 1 1/2 -story Cocoanut Grove nightclub managed to make their way to the roof and jump to the street, landing on top of parked cars, according to Associated Press coverage of the fire that blazed late on Nov. 28, 1942. But many died as fleeing patrons jammed a single revolving door. Other escape doors were locked or swung inward, making them useless against a wall of people.

The result was what still stands today as the nation's deadliest nightclub fire, a disaster that killed 492 people and led to stricter enforcement of fire codes and to innovations in the treatment of burn victims.

The AP was on the scene almost immediately. One of the reporters, Harry C. Glasheen, embedded himself in the rescue crews and helped carry some of the dead from the building.

Below is a version of his first-person account from that harrowing night 75 years ago:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ap-cocoanut-grove-nightclub-fire-142101394.html

fire

• Edited November 29, 2017 8:45 am  by  Cap_Crunch

Reply   Options 

To: Cap_Crunch  (2 of 4) 
 7624.2 in reply to 7624.1 

So far - I've never heard of this before, but I think I'm seen a movie about a couple in love that ended up separated because of a fire in a night club in Boston, or something similar.

sweat

To: Miyuko unread  (3 of 4) 
 7624.3 in reply to 7624.2 

skull At the time there were no EXTINGUISHERS whatsoever!

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconDec-11 3:12 PM 
To: Cap_Crunch unread  (4 of 4) 
 7624.4 in reply to 7624.3 

Handheld extinguishers would have been ALMOST as effective as pissing on the California wildfires, the whole place was a literal tinderbox of flammable decor and structure on top of extreme crowding..

Fire control mechanisms and suppression systems may have helped a lot but they were far in the future of America at the time, only workplaces had any kind of real regulations as a result of the infamous shirtwaist factory fire in the 1920's.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.