Its Magick! -  Curious: lighting candles? (50 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/13/01 2:08 AM 
To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (9 of 21) 
 7327.9 in reply to 7327.7 
I don't recall anything like that about lighting the candles but in the Dianic coven I was a part of for years, blowing out a candle was really frowned upon. You either had to snuff it with a snuffer, or pinch the flame out between your fingers while thanking the Lady for the light.

Now, this is not a Dianic "thing"...It was just this particular coven's "thing"

I have heard various reasons not to use matches-- all having to do with the sulfur and negativity associated with it. I don't buy into that in my particular tradition... in fact, and you can verify this with ThesPN-- every time we set out to do a ritual, and we have had some remarkable rituals, we forget to light the candles on the altar LOL

We always have smudge and resin or incense going but we keep forgetting to light the candles...

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 21) 
 7327.10 in reply to 7327.9 
Mmm...Interesting, too - the thing about extinguishing was part and parcel with the lighting; it seems there were steps and procedures for everything. I've got to wrack my brain and see if I can recall where it all came from - the steps and ceremonial bits and pieces covered just about all aspects of working magic. The steps weren't complex or convoluted - but there were steps for everything.

:(

I hate it when my memories demonstrate just how shot my mind has become. I'm reasonably certain, with the little bits I've been able to recall, that whatever it was I'd read / seen is something you'd really like reading / seeing simply because of the history behind it (my mind is constantly niggling the back of my head, like a voice saying "But wait! There's more!" in one of those Ronco commercials).

Oh well - mebbe the next time you visit (or if I should happen out your way) you can help me search for the lost bits of my mind. ;)

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (11 of 21) 
 7327.11 in reply to 7327.10 
I can understand the idea behind not using matches, but I would say that it really is up to the practitioner. What makes or breaks a ritual is how the practitioner feels about that ritual, ie: if they think that the sulfer will "taint" the energies they are drawing upon, and they still use matches, then, by their own will, will introduce that "taint" themselves. Conversely, if they don't feel that the matches affect it one way or the other, odds are it won't.

I'd say, it's easy enough to get around, if it bothers someone.. simply allow the match to burn down for a few seconds, the sulfer will burn away rather quickly.. imagine it as a self-clensing fire, if you will... then you simply have flame on a wooden stick. Like Tarty mentioned before, you could transfer the flame to something else as well. :)

I do, however, have to agree somewhat with the concept of using a lighter... at least one that's also used to light your cigerettes. If you must use a lighter, like any tool, it should be the *only* thing it's used for.

Btw, Thanks for the compliment Grey! It was nice to be referred to as "one well versed in lore" :)

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/13/01 11:24 AM 
To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (12 of 21) 
 7327.12 in reply to 7327.10 
LOL

Ok, next time I am out in Boston I will help you look-- did you check under the bed? Maybe Missy hid it?

To: Deech (DragonDeech)  (13 of 21) 
 7327.13 in reply to 7327.11 
**like any tool, it should be the *only* thing it's used for.**

I agree--and I tried that, but I keep losing the dang things, LOL!

You laugh because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same.

My Image

To: GreyHawk (greyhawk121)  (14 of 21) 
 7327.14 in reply to 7327.10 
Oh, I've heard stuff about not using matches because of the sulphur. My opinion is also, "Do what works for you." I personally use matches when needed, but allow the flame to burn until the tip is fully consumed, due to the "sulphur issue." But that's a personal foible due to being a recovering Trad, it's what's comfortable for me.

In a CM Trad I'm somewhat familiar with, on being Initiated into a certain Degree, you are told that the Magical Tools of East and South are actually the reverse of what you have previously been taught. Two Degrees further, you are told that the initial association is correct. Then those bright enough to pour pee from a boot with instructions pasted on the heel figure out from their own experience that the correctness of any Tool - or anything else - is only in your own mind and its belief. The numbskulls get upset that they are being 'played with.'

I know a lot of folks in Atlanta that are now using butane firestarters to light ritual candles, since they don't use sulphur. The Magickal influence of butane being unknown to me, I can't say for sure whether it's better or not. But it's fun to crank it all the way up when they're not looking so that it shoots a foot-long flame when they pull the trigger (I admit that I am truly evil).

However, I am still wondering if Roman candles are appropriate on Lupercalia...

Bright blessings,
Ameno

Edited 12/14/01 11:50:40 PM ET by AMENOPHISIV

To: Guest  (15 of 21) 
 7327.15 in reply to 7327.14 
woh, i'd never though about it before, and just used whatever is around (usually the lighter i use for ciggies). i do tend to light one candle first then apply that to the others (mostly cus lighters get hot if you keep them on). maybe i'll keep on with that but not use that candle except as a lighter cus i do agree that a smoking lighter and a ritual lighter shouldn't really be the same now i have thought about it.

From: ThunderWolf (britespirit) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/28/01 5:05 PM 
To: S1REN1  (16 of 21) 
 7327.16 in reply to 7327.1 
I've always used a lighter with no problem whatsoever.

To: S1REN1  (17 of 21) 
 7327.17 in reply to 7327.1 
For some reason, I asociate sulfur (or it could be phosphorous) with chaos. I've always been fine with butane. It's a hydrocarbon. It's organic matter. I've seen incense matches around, though, and those may be a bit better than the usual matches. I have my Zippo, so I just haven't been arsed to buy any :P

To: S1REN1  (18 of 21) 
 7327.18 in reply to 7327.1 
I use a match or lighter to light a small white candle, and use the small white candle to light my other candles or inscense.
Here birdie birdie birdie...
Merry Part for now!
Love the world!
Allison Jaguar
Hostess of
Teen Pagans
Quoth the Raven
"Eh, it could be worse..."
Live Moon
Phase Display
"I speak softly, but
I carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Navigate this discussion: 1-8 9-18 19-21
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.