Herbs and other growing things -  Christmas Goose (49 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/20/01 9:42 AM 
To: All  (1 of 9) 
rich and scrumptious roast goose, the only bird that can claim to be true Christmas fare

Ingredients:

1 x 8-10 lb. (3.6-4.5kg) oven-ready goose

2 oz. (50g) butter, melted

2 tablespoons demerara sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 red skinned apples

2 green skinned apples

salt and ground black pepper

Cooking Instructions:

Pre-heat oven to 425F, Gas Mark 7, 220C

Remove the neck, giblets and any excess fat from the body cavity of the goose

Rinse, then dry with kitchen paper

Season cavity with salt and pepper

Prick the skin all over with a fork and rub with salt

Place the goose on a rack in a roasting tin

Roast in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes

Cover the breast with foil

Reduce heat to 350F, Gas Mark 4, 180C

Roast for 15 minutes per lb. (450g), draining off fat from the tin twice during cooking

Remove the foil about 20 minutes before the end of cooking time

Carefully lift the goose on to a warmed serving plate, cover with foil and leave for 15 minutes while preparing the garnish

Core and slice the apples into rings and brush with lemon juice and butter

Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400F, Gas Mark 6, 200C

Remove foil from goose and arrange the apples around and on top of it

Sprinkle the apple slices with sugar

Reply   Options 

From: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/20/01 9:04 PM 
To: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 9) 
 7381.2 in reply to 7381.1 
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but would this work equally well for wild goose as for one I pick up at the grocery? Sometimes neighbors favor me with their hunting largesse. The only experience I've had with roast goose when when my grandmother used to fix it when my uncle went hunting: roasted with celery and onion, and about a pound of butter. You could skate on the plate when you were finished eating. I just never cared for it. But this sounds really good.

From: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/21/01 9:52 AM 
To: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 9) 
 7381.3 in reply to 7381.2 
I'll tell ya what---I never messed with wild ones---same as wild turkey's---but what i will do is look it up about wild goose and post back to you this week end

From: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/21/01 10:24 AM 
To: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 9) 
 7381.4 in reply to 7381.3 
Wild turkey is excellent [not just the kind that come 100 proof, either]

My dad brought one home occasionally. They roast in a lot less time, and are more tender. No gamey flavor at all.

A good friend ran into a flock of them recently. One of the gobblers met his demise under Terry's truck. As his wife is a total yutz in the kitchen, she cut the bird up like a chicken, dredged it in flour and fried it as if it came from KFC. They said is was excellent. I wouldn't know.

From: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/22/01 1:49 PM 
To: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 9) 
 7381.5 in reply to 7381.4 
wild turkey is out standing if you can get one :)

From: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/22/01 3:08 PM 
To: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 9) 
 7381.6 in reply to 7381.5 
And to think, my mom's place is crawing with them and deer. Our only chance of getting one is if they hop in the car when she's leaving for work.

She did have a big buck challenge her one day last year. She was not a happy camper. Imagine trying to get out of your car and having this great hulking beast lower his antlers at your door.

From: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/22/01 8:41 PM 
To: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 9) 
 7381.7 in reply to 7381.6 
I don't hunt myself---but i do love venison steaks, and i get a few each year from some friends of mine who hunt and get a deer---I love the baloney they make from it too

From: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/22/01 8:50 PM 
To: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 9) 
 7381.8 in reply to 7381.7 
Venison Baloney? a true southerner. I've made jerky out of venison, but never heard of making baloney. In fact, last time someone brought me a deer, the deal was I got half if I would make jerky out of the other half for the great white hunter. It was a big old doe who must have jumped a lot of hedges in her life. The haunches were too tough to do much else with. Marinated in brown sugar, soy sauce and Cajun spice for three days, then put in the oven. Okay, so it tied up the oven for a week. It was worth it.

That year, my daughter got cookies AND jerky for Christmas. The son-in-law [aka RatBoy] got a box of Clemtines from Spain. The pair of them almost had a fist fight in my living room over who got what.

Before you ask, no, I'm not that cheap. That's what they asked for. They've got 4 kids, so Jenny doesn't do much baking, and she likes chocolate chip cookies better than anything.

From: GrayGhost (GRAYGHOST2) DelphiPlus Member Icon12/22/01 9:10 PM 
To: Helen, the Crazy Cat Lady (ching_serve) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 9) 
 7381.9 in reply to 7381.8 
deer baloney is real tasty and I recommend it if you ever get the chance---guys donate some around here to Legion and VFW and it goes over big on egg nog nights

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.