Its Magick! -  Charging money for Magickal workings is (19 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All Poll  (1 of 14) 
 Featured Message7538.1 
Charging money for Magickal workings is
Unethical-- we should do it for free
Is ok if it is your only means of making a living
There is nothing wrong with getting paid for your time and effort
it's great! You should make as much as you can
Let me tell ya....

31 people have voted so far

Reply   Options 

To: Pagan Realm Staff (APRstaff) unread Poll  (2 of 14) 
 7538.2 in reply to 7538.1 
If someone comes to me for this, I really only charge enough to cover the supplies needed for the ritual ceremony(s).

The one who asks the most questions, knows the most answers.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/15/02 2:05 PM 
To: Pagan Realm Staff (APRstaff) unread Poll  (3 of 14) 
 7538.3 in reply to 7538.1 
I believe there is nothing wrong with getting paid for doing a service for someone else.
It becomes a problem when you are exploiting someone--charging an unreasonable price, being dishonest about what you can actually accomplish. I think you also have to take into consideration what the other person can handle, what they can understand and what they are actually ready for

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (4 of 14) 
 7538.4 in reply to 7538.3 
I agree that being paid a reasonable amount for time and supplies is not wrong.

My own story of charging and not charging for services.
For a while I used to do Tarot readings for friends for free. Actually I don't think I charged anybody at all as I was learning how to use the Tarot at the time. Then I had one friend(?) who started wanting a reading every couple of days. Then it was every day. Then it got to the point where she wouldn't make a decision without "consulting you and the cards".

At that point I started charging her, and to make it fair I told everyone that I was going to charge $35.00 an hour, and $10 for every quarter hour after the first hour.
Suddenly we weren't friends anymore, and she was very angry with me. But I stopped getting phone calls from her wanting me to make every decision for her thru my cards.
Many of my other friends just laughed and said okay.
:)
But nobody asked me again. So I don't know if that's good or bad.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Poll  (5 of 14) 
 7538.5 in reply to 7538.3 
I agree with Tarty.

LOL...I read that title and I was thinking in terms of charging a penny or something to use in a money spell. I was going, "what's wrong with THAT???" Oops! silly me :)

-s1ren

And the Lord said, "Let there be light!" And the Lady said, "Turn it on yourself".

My Image

The current mood of s1ren_song@hotmail.com at www.imood.com

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/16/02 2:58 AM 
To: S1REN1 Poll  (6 of 14) 
 7538.6 in reply to 7538.5 
LOL.. I guess you could look at it that way

To: Pagan Realm Staff (APRstaff) unread Poll  (7 of 14) 
 7538.7 in reply to 7538.1 
I was looking for "It's a good gig if you can get it," but you didn't offer that. LOL!

I have a friend down in the Bay area (a fellow RDNA Arch-Druid) who has a two-tiered fee schedule for spells cast. He charges $50 to cast a spell for you. $75 if it works. :)

Purveyor of unconventional wisdom

Notice: Content of this message is copyrighted (c) 2002 by Elrond Pendderwydd. Unauthorized use is prohibited.

To: Pagan Realm Staff (APRstaff) unread Poll  (8 of 14) 
 7538.8 in reply to 7538.1 
i voted "unethical bla bla", coz that's closest. what i really meant is that i'd never do it coz knowing the goddess, magic &c. came to me as free gifts via one or the other magical moment of ... well, let's call it "spontaneous auto-initiation". when i work magic for someone it's usually sbd i know well and like well who has some problem or another and whom i feel an urge to help. plus, expenses for material amount to almost naught: all i need is a piece of cardboard to draw runes on and a red pen to do so. the rest is my ritual paraphernalia i have at home anyway. i think if i started to charge money for magic i might end up loosing those free gifts of the gods and being the same kind of depressed alcoholic i used to be before.

AGNOSTICVS OBSCVRVS ORDO MATERIALISMI MYSTICI

GLORIA IN
PROFVNDIS
DEÆ

From: ThunderWolf (britespirit) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/16/02 6:08 PM 
To: Pagan Realm Staff (APRstaff) unread Poll  (9 of 14) 
 7538.9 in reply to 7538.1 
I had to choose let me tell ya as nothing else expressed my feelings on the matter. I feel it's ok to charge for the supplies being used but not for anything else. I feel when money gets involved-even if it doesn't make us more inclined to do something unethical-it might make us more inclined to do something we ordinarily wouldn't be bothered with. Not to mention the fact that if our sole motivation for doing the spell is money it's not going to be a very damn powerful one.
, ,

To: Pagan Realm Staff (APRstaff) unread Poll  (10 of 14) 
 7538.10 in reply to 7538.1 
It depends on your tradition. There are some that do charge money, but if you don't have money, you bring food, whatever you have in trade. I know card readers who have no other way of putting food on their table, and seen others who charge all kinds of money out of sheer greed.

Most folks are in the middle, and i think most folks "police" themselves, set their own limits.

Would i take money?

Nope.

But i'll take a cigarrette.

heh.

Kilso

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-14
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.