Herbs and other growing things -  Mmmmm Burgers with Fiber! (67 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/29/02 10:58 PM 
To: All  (1 of 29) 
Yuck..
I mean ohhhh Yummy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prune burgers heading to school menus

By Philip Brasher

Jan. 29, 2002 | WASHINGTON (AP) --

Hey, kids! Want a prune burger for lunch? Or how about sweet potato pancakes for breakfast?

The government is trying out new products on finicky fifth- and sixth-grade taste testers in an effort to find new ways to use surplus fruits and vegetables in school lunch and breakfast menus.

The whole story

Prune Burgers

Reply   Options 

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 29) 
 7652.2 in reply to 7652.1 
hmmm it sounds like the kids liked them!

But then.... 4% isn't really that much... I'd probably try them.. just once. lol Gotta try everything at least once right? LOL

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/30/02 3:12 AM 
To: Guest  (3 of 29) 
 7652.3 in reply to 7652.2 
I remember when I was a kid-- they had these frozen french fried potatoes called "I Hate Peas".... there were peas in the french fries so you could get your kid to eat peas without them knowing LOL

Only thing is-- the french fries had a green tinge to them

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 29) 
 7652.4 in reply to 7652.1 
Actually, sweet potatoe pancakes sound good... prune burgers? For most kids, I don't think their digestion could take so much fiber in one meal.. my son likes prunes though, so, some kids might like them.. mixed with beef? Hmmm.. that sounds gross to me.

I hope they don't rely too heavily, as insinuated in the article, on kid's tastebuds.. many of which have been tainted by overly sweet sodas and too sweet beverages like KoolAid and overly processed foods. They need nutrition and sounds like this could help the kids as well as the crop growers.. and if I had to endure mystery meat oozing with orange grease... getting more veggies in their diet may do them a world of good, nutritionally.

Personally, I'd like to see less meat and high fat crap in school lunches and healthier choices for kids anyway. I suppose my son will be brown bagging it until they figure things out in his school.. last time I checked a menu (online a month or so ago), it didn't look that different than when I was in school and I remember the crap they fed us then... course that was also the time that.. Reagan, I think it was, declared ketchup was a vegetable... ~*~sigh~*~

To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (5 of 29) 
 7652.5 in reply to 7652.4 
Ketchup is a veggie?!?!?
You have got to be kidding!!??

To: Keirian  (6 of 29) 
 7652.6 in reply to 7652.5 

Yes, I'm afraid so, according to the New York City Board of Education.

They were criticized a couple of years ago by some nutrtition watchdog group who said the kids' school lunches were not "balanced".

So they made catsup a vegetable to balance the menu.

They do the same kind of funny stuff with the buses and the trains in NYC. If one is running behind schedule, they change the schedule so they can list it as "on time".

Beauracracy, it's a wonderful thing.

Actual ad in the newspaper classifieds:
New study on obesity
seeks larger test group.

To: BEOWULF (beowulf51)  (7 of 29) 
 7652.7 in reply to 7652.6 
Ahh, I should have guessed. The burorats are at it again.

To: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 29) 
 7652.8 in reply to 7652.1 
Shoot me now...
My Familiar, Mooch

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/30/02 10:00 PM 
To: Saffire (SAFFIREM)  (9 of 29) 
 7652.9 in reply to 7652.4 
I love Sweet Potatoes-- I think pancakes would be wonderful.

My kids never had HiC or Kool-Aid. I didn't allow it in the house. I also made all my own jam and jellies.

From: Tarty (RAVENGIL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/30/02 10:01 PM 
To: Alli (AlliJaguar)  (10 of 29) 
 7652.10 in reply to 7652.8 
LOL

You mean you wouldn't like them?

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-29
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.